British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Dubai 1962 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/dubai-1962-a-606997/)

Blue Cat May 4th 2009 4:42 am

Dubai 1962

An exclusive collection of black and white photographs of Dubai taken in 1962 by a visiting photogrpaher as made their way back from Japan 47 years later. The photographic treasure, buried away in archives,will be showcased for the very first time as a tribute to the Emirate's past and heritage.

6th to 26th of May, Gallery of Light, Ductac, Mall of the Emirates.

Autonomy May 4th 2009 6:44 am

Re: Dubai 1962

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 7538875)
An exclusive collection of black and white photographs of Dubai taken in 1962 by a visiting photogrpaher as made their way back from Japan 47 years later. The photographic treasure, buried away in archives,will be showcased for the very first time as a tribute to the Emirate's past and heritage.

It looks good - I'm going to head down there at some point...

still.unsure May 4th 2009 9:33 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 7538875)

am kind of curious what photos will be shown of dubai now in 47 years time and what the landscape will look like then!

Blue Cat May 4th 2009 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by still.unsure (Post 7539356)
am kind of curious what photos will be shown of dubai now in 47 years time and what the landscape will look like then!

sand, sand and more sand, plenty of souks, lots of fishing men, boats and falcons, I am definately going :)

FunnyFeline May 4th 2009 2:56 pm

Cool BC...we'll have just arrived in Dubai on the 22nd, so will be interesting to see these pics! :)

Meow May 6th 2009 11:53 am

I went to the opening last night (no booze but nice canapes) and thoroughly recomend it. The photographer (sweet chap) was there as well as various dignitaries.

A nice snapshot of Dubai as it was. Look out for how differently people dressed then, especially the women...

-

AnotherWorld May 6th 2009 12:40 pm

By that stage we would have evolved into reptile people and live mainly underground, there will be only abandoned buildings of the ones currently standing. Only a small band of hunter gatherer's who have not yet died out will remain, fishing, hunting ibex, various birds, gathering sand and so on.

Spugsy May 6th 2009 1:08 pm

there'll be nothing left by then...

Spugsy May 6th 2009 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by AnotherWorld (Post 7545796)
By that stage we would have evolved into reptile people and live mainly underground, there will be only abandoned buildings of the ones currently standing. Only a small band of hunter gatherer's who have not yet died out will remain, fishing, hunting ibex, various birds, gathering sand and so on.

heh, you should write a film about this.

Blue Cat May 6th 2009 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 7545670)
I went to the opening last night (no booze but nice canapes) and thoroughly recomend it. The photographer (sweet chap) was there as well as various dignitaries.

A nice snapshot of Dubai as it was. Look out for how differently people dressed then, especially the women...

-

I am hoping to get there over the weekend, Meow are any prints for sale?

Morecambe Mindy May 6th 2009 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by AnotherWorld (Post 7545796)

I'll be the one in the Tina Turner wig.

Meow May 6th 2009 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 7545886)
I am hoping to get there over the weekend, Meow are any prints for sale?

No, it is an exhibition only.

Sale was last week... ;)

-

Vimto May 7th 2009 12:46 am

For those interested check out this web site which has lots of great photos of the 'good old days'

http://www.dubaiasitusedtobe.com/index.shtm

I was first in Dubai in 1978 and worked on Jebel Ali Port when it was in the middle of nowhere and Defence Roundabout was the boundary of the city at the military camp which is where the Burj Dubai is now.

Blue Cat May 7th 2009 3:58 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 7546375)
No, it is an exhibition only.

Sale was last week... ;)

-

it's on my list ;)

Originally Posted by Vimto (Post 7547832)
For those interested check out this web site which has lots of great photos of the 'good old days'

http://www.dubaiasitusedtobe.com/index.shtm

I was first in Dubai in 1978 and worked on Jebel Ali Port when it was in the middle of nowhere and Defence Roundabout was the boundary of the city at the military camp which is where the Burj Dubai is now.

When I came out here in 1986 on holiday, my Dad took me to Chicago Beach Hotel for dinner, it was miles away!! ....