British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Dubai’s Grand Mufti calls for curb in marriage to foreigners (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/dubai%E2%80%99s-grand-mufti-calls-curb-marriage-foreigners-682784/)

alfrombarking Aug 25th 2010 11:11 pm

Dubai’s Grand Mufti calls for curb in marriage to foreigners

In otherwords, Grand Mufti is Re writing the sharia !

Last time i checked no one can make Haram what Allah made Halal...

The number of Emiratis marrying foreigners has risen by 10 per cent in the last four years, according to recent figures.Officials and religious leaders blame the rising costs of dowries and extravagant wedding ceremonies and parties for encouraging “ordinary” local men to seek foreign wives, who cost less to marry.

Dr Ahmad al-Haddad, Dubai's Grand Mufti, the country's most senior Islamic scholar, wants to restrict foreign marriages to allow only Muslim, Arab spouses, and a maximum age difference of 25 years. For men, it would have to be his first and only wife.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/

seven seas Aug 26th 2010 3:46 am

Re: Dubai’s Grand Mufti calls for curb in marriage to foreigners

yeah, thats gonna go down well- he's indirectly (actually pretty directly) saying that a huge proportion of the already-established marriages were bad ideas.

INCLUDING the recent, much publicised marriage of a VVVVVVIP.

Answers on the back of a doormat to the usual address.

Patsy Stoned Aug 26th 2010 5:48 am

Sharjah and Ajaman have already banned Emirati men from marrying foreign women.

Bahtatboy Aug 26th 2010 5:56 am

I thought this country was trying to move forward. Virtually everything you hear (ok, its selective at times) suggests the opposite--or is it just that a few idealists are aiming for progress, but the populace and religious zealots and officials have generated backward movement of unstoppable momentum (viz the fuzz this morning driving the wrong way on the hard shoulder on Airport Rd just off-island from Maqta Bridge to attend a non-injury accident, while most of the traffic was still flowing at the usual 120kph speed, and there was a non-emergency official vehicle already there).

Ethos83 Aug 26th 2010 6:09 am

Who qualifies as foreign women in this case? Any woman not an Emirati? Are most of the non-Emirati women other Arab nationals including GCC nationals, or are Emiratis marrying Russian and Western women?

Given how insular and culturally conservative Emirati society can be I often wonder how Emirati men meet western/non Arab women and get to know them well enough to marry them?

Meow Aug 26th 2010 6:26 am

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned (Post 8804090)
Sharjah and Ajaman have already banned Emirati men from marrying foreign women.

More inbreeding then. Just what is needed. :rolleyes:

Brains1983 Aug 26th 2010 7:49 am

there was a bit in the gulf spews yesterday or the day before.

First half of 2010, 30% of marriages that took place were between Emirati men and foreign women. up 17% of something

They are trying to put a load of rules in place;

1.) Wife must be arab and muslim
2.) Husband can't be married to anyone else at the time
3.) Age difference can't be more than 25 years
4.) Husband must be able to support the wife (presume financially and not incase she is a bloater)
5.) Wife must not be banned from entering the country for any reason
6.) Both parties have to be clean of STDs

Emirati women can't marry foreign men.

they reckoned one of the influencing factors was that the men couldn't afford the lavish weddings that the Emirati women wanted. I wonder if anyone suggested not spending all your money of ****ing lamborghinis and stuff?

Patsy Stoned Aug 26th 2010 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 8804151)
More inbreeding then. Just what is needed. :rolleyes:

madness isn't it?A friend of mine who is engaged to an Emirati guy from Ajaman has just had her wedding rushed through by the courts before the deadline.
From now on unless they get special dispensation fron the ruler no more weddings.
She has been engaged to him for 3 years so you can imagine the panic!

seven seas Aug 26th 2010 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by Brains1983 (Post 8804261)

They are trying to put a load of rules in place;

1.) Wife must be arab and muslim
2.) Husband can't be married to anyone else at the time
3.) Age difference can't be more than 25 years
4.) Husband must be able to support the wife (presume financially and not incase she is a bloater)
5.) Wife must not be banned from entering the country for any reason
6.) Both parties have to be clean of STDs

with the exception of rule 1, they sound OK

alfrombarking Aug 28th 2010 1:04 am

Originally Posted by Ethos83 (Post 8804118)
Who qualifies as foreign women in this case? Any woman not an Emirati? Are most of the non-Emirati women other Arab nationals including GCC nationals, or are Emiratis marrying Russian and Western women?

Given how insular and culturally conservative Emirati society can be I often wonder how Emirati men meet western/non Arab women and get to know them well enough to marry them?

I wonder the opposite

what options does Emarati women have if they are in love with some one who happens to be non Arab Muslim

Prison Break perhaps?

Ronnie Biggs Aug 28th 2010 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by alfrombarking (Post 8808668)
I wonder the opposite

what options does Emarati women have if they are in love with some one who happens to be non Arab Muslim

Prison Break perhaps?

I think in that instance - a plane ticket for both parties would be the best solution......

seven seas Aug 28th 2010 6:37 pm

Either elope or forget it.

banter64 Aug 28th 2010 10:39 pm

http://www.thenational.ae/apps/pbcs..../1080/NATIONAL

Interesting article in the national on this.

As for Sharjah and Ajman bannning marriages, this does not appear to be correct, the only ban so far is that if they work for Ministry or Government they need to take permission and the permission will be granted on the nationality of the woman.

banter64 Aug 28th 2010 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by alfrombarking (Post 8808668)
I wonder the opposite

Prison Break perhaps?

Non muslim is a no no in any case

Non arab she would have to take permission, the children would never receive nationality and she cannot pass her nationality to the husband.

Romulan Aug 29th 2010 5:02 pm

Gulf Arab women are simply so unattractive that the higher ups feel all the men will marry foreign women (especially from the more attractive Arab countries (Lebanon, and Syria in particular) that they must act. I think the ban also applies to marrying non khaleeji Arab wives. Didn't you always wonder why Gulf women wear those face veils? It's not because of religious piety, that's for damn sure. ;) haha