Dual nationality

Old Nov 13th 2010, 2:00 am
Just Joined

emm999 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Dual nationality

Anyone on the forum with dual Gulf / UK nationality.

I think the UK authorities won't issue visas to people who also hold UK passports.

What do people with dual UK / GCC state nationality do when travelling from Gulf State, given that airlines always check passports for right to enter UK
Old Nov 13th 2010, 2:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual nationality

Originally Posted by emm999

I think the UK authorities won't issue visas to people who also hold UK passports.

What's going on here then?

Another revenue-generating scheme for the Home Office perhaps?
Old Nov 13th 2010, 4:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Is this for a UK visa? Why would you need a visa if you have a UK passport?
Old Nov 13th 2010, 5:10 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Correct. The OP is not very bright. A bearer of a UK passport cannot be denied entry into the UK....

The only issue I'm aware of with dual passports is that you are supposed to enter the "home" country with the passport of that country. I once got a stern lecture from customs when I entered the US on my UK passport instead of the US passport.

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
Is this for a UK visa? Why would you need a visa if you have a UK passport?
Old Nov 13th 2010, 12:00 pm
Account Closed

Tillybean is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ethos83
Correct. The OP is not very bright. A bearer of a UK passport cannot be denied entry into the UK....

The only issue I'm aware of with dual passports is that you are supposed to enter the "home" country with the passport of that country. I once got a stern lecture from customs when I entered the US on my UK passport instead of the US passport.
Am I missing something OP? If you have dual nationality (UK and GCC) and dual passports then why would you need a visa for the UK? Just rock up with your UK passport.

Agree with Ethos - you are supposed to enter and leave your home country on the correct passport/ID. I have dual nationality but only one passport (UK). When I go to my other country, I give them my UK passport and my national ID for the other country. I get entered into the system on the details from my ID card and sometimes get a stamp in my UK passport and sometimes dont.
Old Nov 13th 2010, 5:41 pm
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

I am guessing the OP's British passport expired?

In which case the solution is simple - get a new UK passport.

You don't have to enter a country with the same passport you used to leave the previous country, either.
Old Nov 13th 2010, 8:39 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethos83

The UK doesn't care, you can use whatever passport as long as it is valid for the reason of the trip, so the US passport is fine for a holiday.

The US on the other hand does care, and they do expect you to use a US passport for entering/leaving the US, something like a $400 fine if you don't apparently
Old Nov 13th 2010, 11:49 pm
Global Hobo

Norsk-also is an unknown quantity at this point

My friend from Azrbaidjan has dual uk see other nation passports...she leaves and enters uk on her english passport, but enters and exits home country on home country passport..cool.
Old Nov 15th 2010, 4:02 am
Just Joined

Some Gulf states don't accept dual nationality. Entering the country with local passport OK but leaving to return to UK might be a problem without UK visa in local passport.
Old Nov 15th 2010, 4:11 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

That's your problem for surrendering your UK passport/citizenship.

Why one would ever do that is beyond me.

Some Gulf states don't accept dual nationality. Entering the country with local passport OK but leaving to return to UK might be a problem without UK visa in local passport.
Old Nov 15th 2010, 4:24 am
Just Joined

My query is about travellers with dual nationality ie two passports. It may be unwise to produce the second passport - in this case a UK passport - in a country that does not accept dual nationality.
Old Nov 15th 2010, 7:56 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

Immigration staff of a country usually only care about the passport you used to enter, not how you'll enter the country you're going to.

Airline staff need to see evidence you can enter the UK before you fly. They shouldn't report that back to anyone but the UK.

Requires careful management but it's surely doable.
Old Nov 15th 2010, 8:09 am
Just Joined

Yes. I think probably doable but would like to know what experiences anyone else might have had. I think quite a lot of countries in the Middle and Far East don't accept dual nationality