British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   drug smuggling (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/drug-smuggling-908413/)

Millhouse Jan 25th 2018 9:03 am

drug smuggling

wow - so many questions. How did it get it into to dubai (for re-export) in the first place? or through the airport. The

Emirates Airline steward jailed after smuggling £100,000 worth of heroin into UK | Metro News

DXBtoDOH Jan 25th 2018 9:06 am

Re: drug smuggling

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12427157)
wow - so many questions. How did it get it into to dubai (for re-export) in the first place? or through the airport. The

Emirates Airline steward jailed after smuggling £100,000 worth of heroin into UK | Metro News

Probably picked it up at the airport from another passenger in transit from bumble****, Pakistan or Afghanistan.

scot47 Jan 25th 2018 4:06 pm

Heroin use is more widespread than you might think in both UAE and Saudi Arabia, despite the penalties. In Jeddah and Riyadh there are regular public executions of dealers and smugglers.

Miss Ann Thrope Jan 25th 2018 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 12427520)
Heroin use is more widespread than you might think in both UAE and Saudi Arabia, despite the penalties. In Jeddah and Riyadh there are regular public executions of dealers and smugglers.

He was smuggling it into the UK via Dubai. But never mind the details...

What gets me though is the lazy, routine reference in the press to the very ordinary Emirates as a "high end airline"....

nonthaburi Jan 25th 2018 6:50 pm

The way the media comes up with these figures is always amusing. For that kilo to be worth £100,000 the guy would have to sell every gram at £100, which is blatantly never going to happen. It's obvious the bulk was going to someone else.

Bahtatboy Jan 26th 2018 7:04 am

Originally Posted by nonthaburi (Post 12427640)
The way the media comes up with these figures is always amusing. For that kilo to be worth £100,000 the guy would have to sell every gram at £100, which is blatantly never going to happen. It's obvious the bulk was going to someone else.

Boomhauer Jan 26th 2018 8:33 am

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope (Post 12427619)

What gets me though is the lazy, routine reference in the press to the very ordinary Emirates as a "high end airline"....

First thing, and only thing, I noticed about the article; made me chuckle.

Johnnyboy11 Jan 26th 2018 1:01 pm

Someone getting a lucky break, perhaps... British woman jailed in Egypt over painkillers 'to be released in days'

scrubbedexpat141 Jan 28th 2018 4:04 am

Mental. Must have thought he'd got away with it at some point too.

hnd Jan 28th 2018 5:29 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12429004)
Mental. Must have thought he'd got away with it at some point too.

Wonder how often he may already have gotten away with it?

co durham boy Jan 28th 2018 5:45 am

Originally Posted by hnd (Post 12429013)

Exactly , it's either a regular thing or someone in the deal isn't getting enough of a cut and they've bubbled him.

Also they could have just offered him up whilst a bigger package went through. Most drug busts are usually drug dealers informing on each other and putting competition out of business.

Very messy though

Millhouse Jan 28th 2018 6:04 am

That was my first thought. I bet loads of times.

Millhouse Jan 28th 2018 6:05 am

Originally Posted by nonthaburi (Post 12427640)

You are right. It was probably worth more by the time it's been cut several times and sold on the streets to prostitutes in Hull for a tenner a wrap.

scrubbedexpat141 Jan 28th 2018 6:10 am

Absolutely.

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12429019)
Hull

*shudders*

DXBtoDOH Jan 28th 2018 7:19 am

How much do drugs cost on the streets, anyway? Genuinely curious. Strictly for informative purposes. I have no interest in drugs.

And how do you know? :sneaky: