Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Driving From the UAE to the UK

Driving From the UAE to the UK

Old Jan 11th 2009, 6:07 am
100% British Beef

Bison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond repute
Default Driving From the UAE to the UK

Having looked at a map, I have discovered that there is land mass all the way back to the UK (Apart from the Chunnel).

Some of the countries you have tom go through may be a bit dodgy though, Saudi, Iraq, Syria but once you get through these countries then into Turkey then Bulgaria then a few dodge Euro countries like Serbia, Bosnia, possibly Macedonia etc, but is it possible, has anyone done it and how long would it take, do you need Visa's etc?

Bison
Old Jan 11th 2009, 6:09 am
BE Enthusiast

AnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Driving From the UAE to the UK

Originally Posted by Bison
Having looked at a map, I have discovered that there is land mass all the way back to the UK (Apart from the Chunnel).

Some of the countries you have tom go through may be a bit dodgy though, Saudi, Iraq, Syria but once you get through these countries then into Turkey then Bulgaria then a few dodge Euro countries like Serbia, Bosnia, possibly Macedonia etc, but is it possible, has anyone done it and how long would it take, do you need Visa's etc?

Bison
I'd say its easily possible. Look at that guy who cycled around the world. Through Afghanistan, Iran, Iraq. You'd want a lot of spare money and time ...

Best to avoid iraq just go striaght to Jordan through Saudi.
Old Jan 11th 2009, 6:24 am
Hammer for Life

BangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond repute

Bison
I know flights have gone up recently, but thats a bit extreme isnt it ?
Old Jan 11th 2009, 7:03 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Bison
no shit sherlock fancy that.
possible yes
done it, not yet personally but planning to, but hundreds have
already
how long depends on how many hrs a day you want to drive and how long you stop and stay anywhere
nah no visas needed every country will welcome you with open arms at their borders.

you will however need a carnet de passage for your vehicle available from the ATC of the UAE
Old Jan 11th 2009, 7:13 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

see here for inspiration
http://www.weltrekordreise.ch/a_starte.html
Old Jan 11th 2009, 8:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Jim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to behold

A colleague of mine in Doha done it in 1984. For some reason he wanted to take his Mazda 626 LHD back to UK.

He done the journey in 10 days, mostly driving it seems.

He said it was a piece of cake once he reached Western Turkey.

Problem areas then, and probably still now, were Saudi (No women except your wife or daughter), Syria (A soldier with an AK47 was plonked in the car and you had him until you exited the country) and Turkey where he had some problems with the locals stoning his car in the East part!

I guess mainly needs some thorough planning and organising visas especially until you reach Europe and car documentation as has already been mentioned.
Old Jan 11th 2009, 9:05 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

get a copy of They Saddle Dogs by Greg Hunt. It is an account of his drive from AD to the UK, excellent read
Old Jan 11th 2009, 9:22 am
100% British Beef

Bison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond repute

get a copy of They Saddle Dogs by Greg Hunt. It is an account of his drive from AD to the UK, excellent read
Where can I get one of them then?

Bison
Old Jan 11th 2009, 9:22 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Driving From the UAE to the UK

Originally Posted by shiva
...and how long you stop...
Bison on his tour:

Old Jan 11th 2009, 10:52 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Where can I get one of them then?

Bison
McGrudy's stock it, Greg Hunt was a well known journalist here in Dubai, he has recently moved to Hong Kong.
Old Jan 11th 2009, 11:33 am
BE Forum Addict

benzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond repute

I remember when I was in Saudi I had heard of a few guys that had done the trip on Harleys, as well as some others who did it in a Range Rover. personally I think it is easier to ship it back in a box.
Old Jan 11th 2009, 2:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: The city of many visions - and fast performance cars
weescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond repute

Having looked at a map, I have discovered that a few dodge Euro countries like Serbia, Bosnia, possibly Macedonia etc, but is it possible, has anyone done it and how long would it take, do you need Visa's etc?

Bison

I lived in all three of these countries all in the last 10 years. They are not dodgy at all. Macedonia is my fav, and all are worth a long lesuirely drive through as the scenery in parts - especially Bosnia - is stunning. However most direct route is to drive straight over the border from Greece, through Macedonia - up to Belgrade, and across to Zagreb, It is a very fast road once you are into Serbia - a toll road. And if you speed you have to pay the fine before you exit it! There are however many different routes through the Balkans - just depends what you want to see on the way. for example, if you want to go to the Croatian coast, end up in Split and you can get the ferry over to Ancona, Italy but you'd drive through Bosnia which is not straight driving!(Sarajevo is wonderful by the way)

Visas to these countries are on entry last I experienced. Oh - and don't go to Kosovo.... its the wild East of Europe still...

PM if you need anything else.
Old Jan 11th 2009, 3:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

what are you thinking of taking 'the lancer'
Old Jan 11th 2009, 4:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Bison
Why don't you just leave the car, and get one of Dubai's legendary taxi drivers to take you instead...........

"What?? Further than Abu Dhabi??? Well I'll have to put the meter on, sir........"