British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Driving From the UAE to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/driving-uae-uk-583302/)

Bison Jan 11th 2009 6:07 am

Driving From the UAE to the UK

Having looked at a map, I have discovered that there is land mass all the way back to the UK (Apart from the Chunnel).

Some of the countries you have tom go through may be a bit dodgy though, Saudi, Iraq, Syria but once you get through these countries then into Turkey then Bulgaria then a few dodge Euro countries like Serbia, Bosnia, possibly Macedonia etc, but is it possible, has anyone done it and how long would it take, do you need Visa's etc?

Bison

AnotherWorld Jan 11th 2009 6:09 am

Re: Driving From the UAE to the UK

Originally Posted by Bison (Post 7151143)
Having looked at a map, I have discovered that there is land mass all the way back to the UK (Apart from the Chunnel).

Some of the countries you have tom go through may be a bit dodgy though, Saudi, Iraq, Syria but once you get through these countries then into Turkey then Bulgaria then a few dodge Euro countries like Serbia, Bosnia, possibly Macedonia etc, but is it possible, has anyone done it and how long would it take, do you need Visa's etc?

Bison

I'd say its easily possible. Look at that guy who cycled around the world. Through Afghanistan, Iran, Iraq. You'd want a lot of spare money and time ...

Best to avoid iraq just go striaght to Jordan through Saudi.

BangleMan Jan 11th 2009 6:24 am

Bison

I know flights have gone up recently, but thats a bit extreme isnt it ?

shiva Jan 11th 2009 7:03 am

Bison

no shit sherlock fancy that.
possible yes
done it, not yet personally but planning to, but hundreds have
already
how long depends on how many hrs a day you want to drive and how long you stop and stay anywhere
nah no visas needed every country will welcome you with open arms at their borders.

you will however need a carnet de passage for your vehicle available from the ATC of the UAE

shiva Jan 11th 2009 7:13 am

see here for inspiration
http://www.weltrekordreise.ch/a_starte.html

Jim Smith Jan 11th 2009 8:56 am

A colleague of mine in Doha done it in 1984. For some reason he wanted to take his Mazda 626 LHD back to UK.

He done the journey in 10 days, mostly driving it seems.

He said it was a piece of cake once he reached Western Turkey.

Problem areas then, and probably still now, were Saudi (No women except your wife or daughter), Syria (A soldier with an AK47 was plonked in the car and you had him until you exited the country) and Turkey where he had some problems with the locals stoning his car in the East part!

I guess mainly needs some thorough planning and organising visas especially until you reach Europe and car documentation as has already been mentioned.

Blue Cat Jan 11th 2009 9:05 am

get a copy of They Saddle Dogs by Greg Hunt. It is an account of his drive from AD to the UK, excellent read ;)

Bison Jan 11th 2009 9:22 am

get a copy of They Saddle Dogs by Greg Hunt. It is an account of his drive from AD to the UK, excellent read
Where can I get one of them then?

Bison

Charismatic Jan 11th 2009 9:22 am

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 7151218)
...and how long you stop...

Bison on his tour:
http://media.ebaumsworld.com/picture...BatCountry.png
:D

Blue Cat Jan 11th 2009 10:52 am

Originally Posted by Bison (Post 7151542)
Where can I get one of them then?

Bison

McGrudy's stock it, Greg Hunt was a well known journalist here in Dubai, he has recently moved to Hong Kong.

benzonar Jan 11th 2009 11:33 am

I remember when I was in Saudi I had heard of a few guys that had done the trip on Harleys, as well as some others who did it in a Range Rover. personally I think it is easier to ship it back in a box.

weescot Jan 11th 2009 2:36 pm

Having looked at a map, I have discovered that a few dodge Euro countries like Serbia, Bosnia, possibly Macedonia etc, but is it possible, has anyone done it and how long would it take, do you need Visa's etc?

Bison

I lived in all three of these countries all in the last 10 years. They are not dodgy at all. Macedonia is my fav, and all are worth a long lesuirely drive through as the scenery in parts - especially Bosnia - is stunning. However most direct route is to drive straight over the border from Greece, through Macedonia - up to Belgrade, and across to Zagreb, It is a very fast road once you are into Serbia - a toll road. And if you speed you have to pay the fine before you exit it! There are however many different routes through the Balkans - just depends what you want to see on the way. for example, if you want to go to the Croatian coast, end up in Split and you can get the ferry over to Ancona, Italy but you'd drive through Bosnia which is not straight driving!(Sarajevo is wonderful by the way)

Visas to these countries are on entry last I experienced. Oh - and don't go to Kosovo.... its the wild East of Europe still...

PM if you need anything else.

busybee2 Jan 11th 2009 3:47 pm

what are you thinking of taking 'the lancer':rofl:

The Dean Jan 11th 2009 4:10 pm

Bison

Why don't you just leave the car, and get one of Dubai's legendary taxi drivers to take you instead...........

"What?? Further than Abu Dhabi??? Well I'll have to put the meter on, sir........"