Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Driving from Dubai to Salalah

Driving from Dubai to Salalah

Old Feb 12th 2009, 4:26 pm
100% British Beef

Bison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond repute
Default Driving from Dubai to Salalah

Has anyone done it, how long does it take?

Any troubles on the way or is it all clear?

Any nice sites, what's there to do or see in Salalah, I fancy a drive.

Bison
Old Feb 12th 2009, 7:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving from Dubai to Salalah

Originally Posted by Bison
Has anyone done it, how long does it take?

Any troubles on the way or is it all clear?

Any nice sites, what's there to do or see in Salalah, I fancy a drive.

Bison
That's a huge drive.

The only way (I think) is to go across the peninsula, via Hatta, then head down the east coast.

A full day's drive, I think............

........... spectacular mountains though - take time to go off-main-road after you pass Muscat - stunning............
Old Feb 12th 2009, 9:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond repute

Its a long way to drive in 1 day, may I suggest you read the following, the advise about filling up regularly is very true as filling stations in Oman after you head down the east coast road are infrequent, a 5 gallon jerrycan full of fuel as well as lots of bottled water would be advisable too.

http://travel.yahoo.com/trip-journal...age=2#comments
Old Feb 13th 2009, 7:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Nic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond repute

We drove down for the khareef (sp?) a few years ago. There are regular 'guest houses' all the way down - we stopped at each one and filled up the tank 'just in case'. It's long, flat and pretty boring, but a really really easy drive. You can see the road ahead for miles and miles so can truck along at a decent rate - no suprise camels round the bend as there are no bends . . And very little traffic. We drove to Nizwa and stayed ne night there then it took us 9 hours from there to Salalah - you could do it faster, depends how fast you drive. We drove back via Al Suwaidi which took us 11 hours.

It was so worth it tho when we got the mountains - left behind a gravelly desert went up into the mountains into thick, thick cloud, and emerged down the other side into a lush green land - itwas like we'd gone through some sort of stargate thingy - really - it was truly amazing - and you won't get that if you go by plane . . .

If you do want to go I'd suggest August when it's rainy and green and gorgeious. It's like stepping back in time . . No starbucks, no bars, etc. (except in the hotel) We really enjoyed it, but I guess for some it could be pretty boring. I think this is what the rest of the Middle East was like in years gone by.

N