British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Drive to work (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/drive-work-814952/)

Ethos83 Nov 13th 2013 10:03 am

Re: Drive to work

I've taken the metro from Emirates Towers to Dubai Marina stop when going to business meetings in JLT. Had to walk through the JLT cluster and around the lake a bit (Swiss Tower if you know the building).

Door to door was about 40-45 minutes.

You can always smoke while walking to/from the metro...the actual ride itself is just under 30 minutes. To/from Business Bay would be even shorter.

But I get it anyway. You aren't a lean machine like me and need the comforts of a soft American car despite that it adds a lot of time to your evening journey. So quit whinging and put up with it.

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10988951)
The thing is, the metro is probably just as slow, if not slower, I can't expect the same level of comfort as in my car, I can't smoke or eat or drink, I can't guarantee a seat, I have to 'waddle' to and from it at both ends of the journey (adding 8mins at the home end - I've timed it).

The only benefit of the metro I see is that I don't have to think or do anything.

I might give it a go next week because my car is in for service.

scrubbedexpat141 Nov 13th 2013 10:21 am

Originally Posted by Ethos83 (Post 10989065)
I've taken the metro from Emirates Towers to Dubai Marina stop when going to business meetings in JLT. Had to walk through the JLT cluster and around the lake a bit (Swiss Tower if you know the building).

Door to door was about 40-45 minutes.

You can always smoke while walking to/from the metro...the actual ride itself is just under 30 minutes. To/from Business Bay would be even shorter.

But I get it anyway. You aren't a lean machine like me and need the comforts of a soft American car despite that it adds a lot of time to your evening journey. So quit whinging and put up with it.

Let's say it takes 30mins from JLT to Business Bay.
+ 8 to get to metro from office
+ 8 to get to apartment from metro
+ 4 waiting time for metro / buying ticket
= 50mins

In the morning, it takes me no more than 25 to get to work.
In the evenings, it takes me between 45-60mins.

If I shave time off the walking bit, obviously by not waddling, then I might get it to about the 40/45min total mark.

At which point my commute is 40/45 x 2 = 80/90 mins
Whereas, it currently stands at 25 + 45/60 = 70/85 mins

So, thanks, you've helped me work out that I'm still better off on my big fat arse in a car. Next time, don't be so rude though, there is no need.

Ethos83 Nov 13th 2013 10:28 am

Sorry.

Your earlier post implied it took a hour to get out of JLT alone. My mistake.

But I'll continue to point fingers at expatriates who can't be arsed to sacrifice the comforts of their cars and yet still complain about the traffic problems they willingly contribute to.

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10989084)
Let's say it takes 30mins from JLT to Business Bay.
+ 8 to get to metro from office
+ 8 to get to apartment from metro
+ 4 waiting time for metro / buying ticket
= 50mins

In the morning, it takes me no more than 25 to get to work.
In the evenings, it takes me between 45-60mins.

If I shave time off the walking bit, obviously by not waddling, then I might get it to about the 40/45min total mark.

So, thanks, you've helped me work out that I'm still better off on my big fat arse in a car. Next time, don't be so rude though, there is no need.

Millhouse Nov 13th 2013 10:31 am

Originally Posted by Ethos83 (Post 10989091)
Sorry.

But I'll continue to point fingers at expatriates who can't be arsed to sacrifice the comforts of their cars and yet still complain about the traffic problems they willingly contribute to.

why just the expats?

What about me... I have no choice as I do not have the option for public transport (not at a reasonable cost in terms of time and money) - I tried the metro bus combo once and it was almost 2 hours to get home.

scot47 Nov 13th 2013 10:31 am

Working in Dhahran I lived on the KFUPM Campus and I walked to work !
In Jeddah I took a taxi from the compound to the Airline Training Centre.

Irishbeekeeper Nov 13th 2013 10:42 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10989084)

But you get in about 10-15 minutes of walking excersice done my dear Dr. Watson. And it's only these next 4 months when can actually walk outside.
Not to mention the comfort of totally zoning out while in a car you can't :)
As you said, you have a car service coming up, see how that works out for you. A friend of mine is in real estate and the poor bugger is driving his car atleast 4 hours a day. I can literally see him ageing in front of me :(

scrubbedexpat141 Nov 13th 2013 10:43 am

Sorry.

JLT can be a pig. It's not great at the moment but not horrible either, averaging about 9mins. At worst it was 20+, at best it's 1.

TheShed Nov 13th 2013 11:57 am

Just started the walking/metro/walking thing.

When driving, it actually takes longer to get out of my building and into the office car park than I truly spend driving on the open road.

Travelling home last night, a train arrived as I got to the platform and I was home in 15 mins vs about 20 in the car.

My flex bit wrist band thingy thinks that I have got a new personal trainer :-)

scrubbedexpat141 Nov 13th 2013 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper (Post 10989108)
But you get in about 10-15 minutes of walking excersice done my dear Dr. Watson. And it's only these next 4 months when can actually walk outside.
Not to mention the comfort of totally zoning out while in a car you can't :)
As you said, you have a car service coming up, see how that works out for you. A friend of mine is in real estate and the poor bugger is driving his car atleast 4 hours a day. I can literally see him ageing in front of me :(

Originally Posted by TheShed (Post 10989192)
Just started the walking/metro/walking thing.

When driving, it actually takes longer to get out of my building and into the office car park than I truly spend driving on the open road.

Travelling home last night, a train arrived as I got to the platform and I was home in 15 mins vs about 20 in the car.

My flex bit wrist band thingy thinks that I have got a new personal trainer :-)

Good points.

I've started swimming in the evenings, but a bit more exercise can't hurt can it. See how I get on next week.

Ethos83 Nov 13th 2013 2:02 pm

You're not the one complaining about the traffic, are you?

I teased Scamp because he does have feasible options other than driving. Despite working in JLT he elected to live in Business Bay even though there are seemingly thousands of apartments available in JLT or other areas in the south end of Dubai.

His choice, fine, then why whinge about the traffic and expect sympathy?

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10989093)
why just the expats?

What about me... I have no choice as I do not have the option for public transport (not at a reasonable cost in terms of time and money) - I tried the metro bus combo once and it was almost 2 hours to get home.

Meow Nov 13th 2013 3:46 pm

Sorry.

a) Not everyone lives in The Greens (*other residential areas do exist) or near a metro station. Or works near one, or even a regular bus route.

b) Everyone complains about traffic everywhere. That's human nature.

c) I fail to see what it has to do with you as you left Dubai years ago.

Ethos83 Nov 13th 2013 4:07 pm

Which is more annoying, me ribbing Scamp or that you never fail to sneer at that I lived in the Greens? The latter is tiring and surely you can think of something else to criticise me for :confused: You claim to be a reasonably bright woman with above average intellect and this is the best you can come up with?

This year I've been going to Dubai for work on average once every six weeks. Yes, haven't really mentioned it before but then again I was afraid someone like you would come along and turn it into another annoying criticism :sneaky:

Anyway, to rehash the point. Scamp works in JLT. He could have easily lived within walking distance of his office. JLT and Business Bay aren't that different - mediocre and overpriced towers catering to overpaid expats. But he chose not to. He chose to have to suffer a long commute.

Thus I spake: quit complaining and put up with it.

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10989565)
a) Not everyone lives in The Greens (*other residential areas do exist) or near a metro station. Or works near one, or even a regular bus route.

b) Everyone complains about traffic everywhere. That's human nature.

c) I fail to see what it has to do with you as you left Dubai years ago.

Bahtatboy Nov 13th 2013 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by Ethos83 (Post 10989613)
Which is more annoying, me ribbing Scamp or that you never fail to sneer at that I lived in the Greens? The latter is tiring and surely you can think of something else to criticise me for :confused: You claim to be a reasonably bright woman with above average intellect and this is the best you can come up with?

This year I've been going to Dubai for work on average once every six weeks. Yes, haven't really mentioned it before but then again I was afraid someone like you would come along and turn it into another annoying criticism :sneaky:

Anyway, to rehash the point. Scamp works in JLT. He could have easily lived within walking distance of his office. JLT and Business Bay aren't that different - mediocre and overpriced towers catering to overpaid expats. But he chose not to. He chose to have to suffer a long commute.

:popcorn:

commander Nov 13th 2013 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by Ethos83 (Post 10989613)

His missus works in mirdif. He stated that earlier as one of his reasons for not staying in JLT.

flares Nov 13th 2013 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by commander (Post 10989778)
His missus wears the trousers. He stated that earlier as the reason for not staying in JLT.

:blink: