Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Drive from UAE to Jordan ?

Drive from UAE to Jordan ?

Old Feb 6th 2019, 2:25 pm
Forum Regular

markhighpeak is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Drive from UAE to Jordan ?

Has anyone done, or know if you can drive from the UAE to Jordan, and back again as a non-muslim ? Fancy doing a 2 week round trip.

Any pointers would be appreciated.
Old Feb 6th 2019, 3:11 pm
Wannabe Cycling God

TheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Drive from UAE to Jordan ?

You’ll have to check it with someone that has more current knowledge than me, but years ago many many jordanians and Lebanese would drive home for the summer. I suspect this may be more difficult now due to Iraq and Syria situations.

There is as Saudi transit visa for car and passengers, but no idea how to go about it.

I’m sure it’ll be a cracking trip if you can put it together and survive. Remember your dictaphone for memoirs,
Old Feb 7th 2019, 6:51 am
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

If you can get the Saudi Transit visa, then UAE to KSA and then northwards to Jordan would be probably the easiest route. Am planning driving to Jordan ( and beyond ) when I do the Final Exit from KSA.

Loads of guys here in Riyadh drive regularly to Jordan and back. Being non muslim isn't an issue ( unless you insist in driving through Mecca - but that would be a hell of a detour)
Old Feb 7th 2019, 2:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nottmbantam
If you can get the Saudi Transit visa, then UAE to KSA and then northwards to Jordan would be probably the easiest route. Am planning driving to Jordan ( and beyond ) when I do the Final Exit from KSA.
Hard to do the drive home with passing through Syria or Iraq

Old Feb 7th 2019, 5:34 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Hard to do the drive home with passing through Syria or Iraq ...
You could always take a ferry to Iran, then go through the Caucasus (E60 through Abkhazia), Crimea, and Ukraine.

HTH
Old Feb 7th 2019, 6:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Iran does not easily give visas to citizens of UK or USA
Old Feb 8th 2019, 9:16 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

What in the world does Iraq and Syria have to do with anything? The route passes through Saudi Arabia. Every Jordanian in the UAE has done it at some point or another. It is not a short trip and takes two days, stopping somewhere overnight in KSA. Egyptians also pass through, going the other way, though the numbers of them attempting to do so has been greatly reduced by the instability in the Sinai. Many are now choosing to fly back to Egypt and ship their cars.

Nor does being non-Muslim have anything to do with anything. That is only a restriction if you are going to visit Mecca or Medina.

The Saudis offer a seven-day transit visa to go from the UAE to Jordan, but willingness to issue it can be unpredictable. Be aware that the logjam of trucks at Sila can be enormous, and stretch for several kilometres with the associated delays.

If you are looking to do this trip by hire car, forget it. Due to unpredictable Saudi road rules, UAE hire car companies don't allow you to go into KSA. If it's your own vehicle, just make sure your papers are airtight.
Old Feb 8th 2019, 9:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

He is taling about drivinbg to Europe from KSA.
Old Feb 8th 2019, 12:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

OP explicitly said UAE to Jordan and back.
Old Feb 8th 2019, 1:37 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou
OP explicitly said UAE to Jordan and back.
Scot47 and I were referencing this detour from the original question:
….. Am planning driving to Jordan ( and beyond ) when I do the Final Exit from KSA. ....
Old Feb 9th 2019, 5:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Hard to do the drive home with passing through Syria or Iraq
we intend to drive back when it's time for us to pack up and go. planning via Iran if it's safe when the time comes, or go through KSA/Egypt and then ferry into Turkey. I'm guessing there is a Jordan - Cyprus - Turkey option aswell.
Old Feb 9th 2019, 5:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Thank you Pulaski / scot47 for the correction.

Simple. Israel-Cyprus-Greece ferries have re-started. You can go by land from Jordan across the West Bank and into Israel. I think the ferry leaves from Haifa.

Much easier than trying to get to Iran from the UAE/KSA and going across Turkey. That routing may be impossible and/or too unreliable to plan for a very long time. Remember that southeast Turkey is unstable.

I believe ferries from Egypt to Greece/Italy have long since stopped, and driving across Sinai is a non-starter anyways.

Last edited by carcajou; Feb 9th 2019 at 5:59 am.
Old Feb 12th 2019, 10:41 am
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou
Thank you Pulaski / scot47 for the correction.

Simple. Israel-Cyprus-Greece ferries have re-started. You can go by land from Jordan across the West Bank and into Israel. I think the ferry leaves from Haifa.

Much easier than trying to get to Iran from the UAE/KSA and going across Turkey. That routing may be impossible and/or too unreliable to plan for a very long time. Remember that southeast Turkey is unstable.

I believe ferries from Egypt to Greece/Italy have long since stopped, and driving across Sinai is a non-starter anyways.
The Haifa route is the one we're planning on taking, spoke to an Irish lad who did it list summer from KSA , so it's all do-able. Ferry to mainland Greece and then onwards from there. Current contract runs out end of April, so if it's not renewed, then will probably do the journey in June. If I get another year, then its deffo on for next summer.

I did seriously want to do the Iran Turkey route ( via ferry from Sharjah ) but Iran insists on a tour guide accompanying you at all times, which put me off. Bollocks to that.
Old Feb 13th 2019, 5:38 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

but Iran insists on a tour guide accompanying you at all times, which put me off. Bollocks to that.
Check up on the accuracy of that. Every year scores of Brits take the southern 'route' on the Mongal Rally which passes through Iran and from what I've read few if any have a tour guide.... so there must be ways round it. I'd suggest searching for 'The Adventurists' or 'Mongal Rally' on facebook for groups and ask the question there. There will be scores of folks who can assist you as they've done similar recently.
Old Feb 13th 2019, 5:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jam25mack
Check up on the accuracy of that. Every year scores of Brits take the southern 'route' on the Mongal Rally which passes through Iran and from what I've read few if any have a tour guide.... so there must be ways round it. I'd suggest searching for 'The Adventurists' or 'Mongal Rally' on facebook for groups and ask the question there. There will be scores of folks who can assist you as they've done similar recently.
All the 'official' documentation I've looked at so far, is pretty consistent. For three nationalities - US, Canadian, UK - every visitor must be accompanied by a tour guide at all times. Spoke to a couple of tour guides, who confirm this was true ( slightly cynical about this). Messaged a few other people on Trip Advisor Forums ( also slightly unreliable ) , but from official advisory government pages , the story seems to be true.
By all accounts, when submitting the visa application, this should be accompanied by itinerary showing the tour guide booked and all that perlava. Just seemed like too much of a ball ache.

Have contacted a shipping company in Israel to go the Haifa route, land border crossing will take a while from Jordan into Israel with a car on Saudi plates, but all possible. The Iran route just seems full of uncertainty.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.