British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Drive to Abu Dhabi (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/drive-abu-dhabi-879257/)

Millhouse Jun 22nd 2016 5:47 am

Drive to Abu Dhabi

I have a meeting in AD at 1pm... (joans the robber)

I'll be leaving from DFIC... should I have already set off, or would 11.30 ok be?

Dunno about the traffic these days!

iggle Jun 22nd 2016 5:48 am

Re: Drive to Abu Dhabi

Mate late now, trust me.

DXBtoDOH Jun 22nd 2016 5:51 am

Dunno where DFIC is.

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 11980159)
I have a meeting in AD at 1pm... (joans the robber)

I'll be leaving from DFIC... should I have already set off, or would 11.30 ok be?

Dunno about the traffic these days!

But if it's DIFC, give yourself 1.5 hours minimum. Yas to Corniche. There will be minimal traffic between 11 and 1.

On return, there's a rush to get out of AD between 2-4 (Ramadan) but once on Yas it's clear sailing all the way back to Dubai and DIFC. I leave at 3:00 and I'd say to DIFC would take me 1.5 hours.

Millhouse Jun 22nd 2016 5:56 am

Thanks everyone. Yes, DIFC.

IKnowNothing Jun 22nd 2016 6:28 am

It's not the time it takes to get to where you're going, it's the time it takes to find a parking place here, it's horrendous at the minute.

iggle Jun 22nd 2016 7:27 am

Originally Posted by IKnowNothing (Post 11980185)
It's not the time it takes to get to where you're going, it's the time it takes to find a parking place here, it's horrendous at the minute.

You could always block people cars

Millhouse Jun 22nd 2016 7:46 am

Originally Posted by IKnowNothing (Post 11980185)

It's ok - the driver will wait...

Anyway, I got out of the trip - sent two colleagues instead, I'm not sitting in a car for the best part of 4 hours for a 1 hour lunch :lol:

iggle Jun 22nd 2016 8:31 am

What does joans the robber mean??

Millhouse Jun 22nd 2016 8:33 am

Originally Posted by iggle (Post 11980246)
What does joans the robber mean??

I typed it wrong, Jones the Robber.

Probably the world's most over priced sandwich shop - also called Jones the Grocer

Rubydo Jun 23rd 2016 7:36 am

Awwww shame u didn't want to visit us Abu Dhabians :-p

IKnowNothing Jun 23rd 2016 7:37 am

You don't want to be heading down the corniche in Abu Dhabi today, a car literally exploded (petrol thing, not bomb) 20 minutes or so back right outside ADNOC head office, looks like a Tahoma, police and fire there, car parked next to it is also up in flames.

Rubydo Jun 23rd 2016 7:38 am

Originally Posted by IKnowNothing (Post 11981350)
You don't want to be heading down the corniche in Abu Dhabi today, a car literally exploded (petrol thing, not bomb) 20 minutes or so back right outside ADNOC head office, looks like a Tahoma, police and fire there, car parked next to it is also up in flames.

Oops that's not great!

iggle Jun 23rd 2016 7:40 am

Originally Posted by IKnowNothing (Post 11981350)

Maybe the engine was blocked??

Rubydo Jun 23rd 2016 7:45 am

Originally Posted by iggle (Post 11981353)
Maybe the engine was blocked??

Mechanic Iggle 😂😂

al dente Jun 23rd 2016 8:34 am

I've been working at the EXPO site in Dubai (D57) and it's taking me an hour, door to door.