Reload this Page >

Drinking and Driving at Christmas

Drinking and Driving at Christmas

Old Dec 11th 2012, 2:23 pm
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough
Default Drinking and Driving at Christmas

With the holidays upon us I would like to share a personal experience with you about drinking and driving.

As you may know some of us have been known to have brushes with the authorities from time to time on the way home after a "social session" out with friends. Well two days ago I was out for an evening with friends and had several cocktails followed by some rather nice red wine. Feeling jolly I still had the sense to know that I may be slightly over the limit. That's when I did something that I've never done before - I took a cab home.

Sure enough on the way home there was a police road block but since it was a cab they waved it past. I arrived home safely without incident.

This was a real surprise as I had never driven a cab before, I don't know where I got it and now that it's in my garage I don't know what to do with it !

Merry Christmas
Old Dec 11th 2012, 2:40 pm
Forum Regular

Equestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud of
Default Re: Drinking and Driving at Christmas

Liking the humour, but shouldn't this come with a 'do not try this at home' warning?
Old Dec 11th 2012, 5:53 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Close family member killed himself drink driving at 17.

Not much I won't laugh at or do myself bar this topic. I'm always amazed at the number of people out here who do it when the penalties are so severe.
Old Dec 11th 2012, 6:55 pm
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

To you both,

Equestra, you lived in a mummy state, why should anyone tell you what you shouldn't do? You as a human with a knowledge of right and wrong should know what is, erm... Right and wrong? Shirley it's obvious this is satire?

Scamp, He killed himself. See above.

(PS, don't tell anyone but.... This never happened....).
Old Dec 11th 2012, 9:19 pm
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute

Drinking & driving anywhere is, quite simply, stupid. Have just had a lovely evening with some of our neighbours here in Muscat and I'd guess that most of us had roughly a bottle of red grape, preceeded by hops, gin, and followed by various other beverages. None of us would have ever considered drinking this much if we hadn't been within walking distance of each other. This pertained when we lived in Dubai at Arabian Ranches.

As the Polo Club was so close many people thought it was safe to drink there and then drive back to AR. Not true ... on a few occasions the police stationed a vehicle at Gate 1 and breath tested every driver entering AR. Ditto the Golf Club - we lived close enough to be able to walk there and back ... lucky us.

Have a happy festive/Christmas and stay safe --- a taxi is cheaper than a fine and a jail sentence
Old Dec 12th 2012, 1:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

I have only just heard about the South African gentleman caught drinking and driving (a second offence in his case, apparently) who was peremptorily driven to the airport by Dubai police and put straight on a plane back to Johannesburg........ no trial, or anything like that - just an immediate deportation.............

............ leaving a wife and two kids here with nothing more than a frozen bank account to survive on.......
Old Dec 12th 2012, 2:33 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kix
Say it isn't so? This is humour? Bloody hell you wouldn't think so from some of responses, lighten up people it's christmas
Old Dec 12th 2012, 3:35 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by mikewot
Say it isn't so? This is humour? Bloody hell you wouldn't think so from some of responses, lighten up people it's christmas
Yeah, that makes it alright doesn't it.

Of course it was just a joke, was quite funny. I just made comment that I can't believe the number of people out here who do it....not just for the fact it's stupid but in a place where you'll ruin this portion of your life? What's the point.
Old Dec 12th 2012, 4:55 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to all

gave me a good chuckle this morning!

Although anyone who drinks and drives in my opinion deserves sever repercussions. They are not only putting there own live in danger but other drivers on the road who are innocent. If you are going to drink then arrange to get a cab home! Pretty simple really!!
Old Dec 12th 2012, 5:02 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
I'm always amazed at the number of people out here who do it when the penalties are so severe.
It never fails to amaze me, taxis are dirt cheap but some people would rather risk careers just for the sake of saving 10 minutes waiting for a taxi.

It's the one thing I really support about the law here - zero tolerance for drink driving.

I can't understand why in UK you are allowed a pint or two and then drive. We all know alcohol dulls the senses, why would you want to drive knowing you are not 100% capable?
Old Dec 12th 2012, 5:02 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Of course it was just a joke, was quite funny.
Hoorah! Now I'm going to sound condescending again but don't mean to. Most of us 'more mature' folks who grew up in the UK did so against a background of socially acceptable drink driving. Then the government decided that there were far too many deaths and injuries being caused by this, the cost was staggering. That plus not wearing seat belts. So the push was on to educate the public that drink driving and not wearing seatbelts was not socially acceptable.
There was a huge drive with TV adverts, some very hard hitting, as to the effects of accidents due to lack of seatbelts and the consequences of drink driving. In addition courts came down hard on drink drivers and you'd lose your licence for at least a year plus a fine.
Some countries still regularly air these types of adverts, especially in the run up to the xmas season. Out here I have never seen or heard of any sort of public education about the dangers of lack of seat belts, driving too close or drink driving (the last obviously because the muslim population don't drink alcohol), except a big poster near the business bay end of the Al Khail which states Speed Kills and the municipality has a target of zero deaths by 2020. No idea as to how they'll achieve that target as there don't appear to be any active measures to do so. Sounds more like Martin Luther Kings "I have a dream" speech as opposed to "I have a plan".
In summary yea golden oldies on here with a UK background have been educated and know the dangers, the rest...........
Old Dec 12th 2012, 5:10 am
Forum Regular

Equestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud of

Yeah, that makes it alright doesn't it.

Of course it was just a joke, was quite funny. I just made comment that I can't believe the number of people out here who do it....not just for the fact it's stupid but in a place where you'll ruin this portion of your life? What's the point.
Originally Posted by Kix
To you both,

Equestra, you lived in a mummy state, why should anyone tell you what you shouldn't do? You as a human with a knowledge of right and wrong should know what is, erm... Right and wrong? Shirley it's obvious this is satire?

Scamp, He killed himself. See above.

Errrrrm, I'm not sure I get this? I understand I am human, and I understand right and wrong. I even understand shirley it's satire. But maybe I'm just not cerebal enough to understand the reference to having lived in a mummy state & why should anyone tell me what I shouldn't do? I just laughed at a joke, albeit a rather unPC one at that

Scamp ..... Totally agree!!! It amazes me to see friends / colleagues have 'one' drink then think it's fine to drive, what is it about ZERO tolerance that they don't get? The zero tolerance rule is one of the few that makes total sense in this country and one I totally agree with!

And for those that have a skinfull then get behind the wheel, well as others have said they totally deserve the punishment given & let's just pray they don't harm anyone other than themselves due to their stupidity & selfishness.
Old Dec 12th 2012, 5:12 am
Forum Regular

Hoorah! Now I'm going to sound condescending again but don't mean to. Most of us 'more mature' folks who grew up in the UK did so against a background of socially acceptable drink driving. Then the government decided that there were far too many deaths and injuries being caused by this, the cost was staggering. That plus not wearing seat belts. So the push was on to educate the public that drink driving and not wearing seatbelts was not socially acceptable.
There was a huge drive with TV adverts, some very hard hitting, as to the effects of accidents due to lack of seatbelts and the consequences of drink driving. In addition courts came down hard on drink drivers and you'd lose your licence for at least a year plus a fine.
Some countries still regularly air these types of adverts, especially in the run up to the xmas season. Out here I have never seen or heard of any sort of public education about the dangers of lack of seat belts, driving too close or drink driving (the last obviously because the muslim population don't drink alcohol), except a big poster near the business bay end of the Al Khail which states Speed Kills and the municipality has a target of zero deaths by 2020. No idea as to how they'll achieve that target as there don't appear to be any active measures to do so. Sounds more like Martin Luther Kings "I have a dream" speech as opposed to "I have a plan".
In summary yea golden oldies on here with a UK background have been educated and know the dangers, the rest...........
^^^^^ 'like'

The phrase 'one for the road' is long gone & so it should! We now quote 'one for the lift' or 'one for the taxi' ........
Old Dec 12th 2012, 5:14 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

I like the comment that Muslims don't drink alcohol ....
Old Dec 12th 2012, 5:15 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
It never fails to amaze me, taxis are dirt cheap but some people would rather risk careers just for the sake of saving 10 minutes waiting for a taxi.

It's the one thing I really support about the law here - zero tolerance for drink driving.

I can't understand why in UK you are allowed a pint or two and then drive. We all know alcohol dulls the senses, why would you want to drive knowing you are not 100% capable?
Completely agree. Not worth the hassle. Especially if you can valet park your car and get a cab the next day to get it. It takes an hour tops.

Not condescending at all, I agree. I knew it was wrong. When my old man bought me my first car there were two rules; 1. Get caught speeding and lose your license, tough luck. I'll hammer you for it and you'll have to deal with all the consequences. 2. Get caught or if I find out you've been drink driving then you'll not have your car anymore and if you didn't get caught but I know you've done it, I'll report you to the police.

They were good rules, unfortunately my cousin had died the year I was taking my test and learning, so the rules just further enforced how severe the penalties can be.

They are ****ing clueless out here, those 2020 Zero Deaths signs are a complete waste of space, nothing will ever get this place near to that unfortunately.

In the UK lots fo people have a few beers and drive, it's accepted because it's legal. I've done it (2 beer max) but then am conscious and careful. It's swings and roundabouts, some people will justify it any way they can and get away with it, it's their risk. Out here though, the risk is huge and the only time I ever feel the need to worry a bit is collecting my car the next day.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.