Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

The drink that got you started.

The drink that got you started.

Old Aug 29th 2010, 3:04 pm
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The drink that got you started.

I was weaned on Advocaat.

Fed whiskey as a pre-teen.

Started on cider in the pub, then mild, then bitter, finally lager. Or more whiskey if I really wanted to get shitfaced.

(Once at a dodgy college disco, I arrived late and needed to make up for lost time, so ordered a pint of whiskey and lemonade. Eight shots. Did the trick.)
Old Aug 29th 2010, 4:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by typical

(Once at a dodgy college disco, I arrived late and needed to make up for lost time, so ordered a pint of whiskey and lemonade. Eight shots. Did the trick.)
Good lad. I hope that was one of mine...
Old Aug 29th 2010, 4:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

"Bier Dior", or some other cheap beer from tesco in 25cl bottlesĀ£. Although, tehnically it was my first drink (new year at 15 years old) and it put me off until I was 17. After that, a pint of tennants let me see the light, now crave strongbow, occasional sparkling white/rose wine. No spirits yet, but as someone else said apparantly tastes change as you get older.

Actually like Smirnoff Ice, but tend not to admit that in the pub and drink it at home when I've ran out of beer...
Old Aug 29th 2010, 5:45 pm
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
Good lad. I hope that was one of mine...
You know, it might well have been.

Oddly enough, my memory is somewhat hazy...
Old Aug 29th 2010, 6:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by typical
You know, it might well have been.

Oddly enough, my memory is somewhat hazy...
If it was cheesy music, odds on it prob was??
Old Aug 29th 2010, 6:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to behold

Used to drink Cinzano/Martini/Vermouth during the long winters whilst playing cards etc on days off work only 5p a go in the late '60's! Only worked a 26-1/2 hour week!

Drank various draft beers the 5 years I was in UK and I guess tend towards wines these days with some beer thrown in!
Old Aug 29th 2010, 7:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

About 10 years ago, before my granda passed on, I remember him teaching me 3 card brag. We played using his collection of the old pennies (each about the size of an olympic regulation discus). Got my ass kicked everytime, but a memory I'd forgoten, thanks to the poster of 5p a game in the 60s, brought a tear to my eye and a smile with it.
Old Aug 29th 2010, 7:32 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Cider or white wine and lemonade/soda.

The extra soda/leomonade gave my friend and I a tall glass to drink that assumedly lasted us longer than a regular wine glass. It also helped to make the cheaper, vinegar-ish wines taste sweeter.

We have since moved on to very good wine in appropriate glasses.

I'm drinking the real stuff and living here and she has opened an Italian restaurant to serve English people and rip them off .... most likely on prices of wine !!!!!
Old Aug 29th 2010, 7:58 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Started on Carlsberg Elephant or similar. Horrible stuff, but got you sh*tfaced which was the main objective when i was 15-16.

Eventually moved onto lager, and later there was a period of time when I mostly drank Vodka Russian, Gin Tonic or Pernod lemonade.

Now I mostly stick to lager, but I do love a nice cuban dark rum and coke with a little lemon juice (it's called a cubata). And if I come across a bar where they actually know how to mix drinks I'll gladly have a mojito or ten. (i spent two weeks in an all inclusive resort in Cuba and some new habits and likes were acquired).

As a kid my parents always offered me aquavit at christmas. that stuff is proper harsh, better used as paint thinner in my opinion.
Old Aug 29th 2010, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

tieresias is a name known to alltieresias is a name known to alltieresias is a name known to alltieresias is a name known to alltieresias is a name known to alltieresias is a name known to alltieresias is a name known to alltieresias is a name known to alltieresias is a name known to alltieresias is a name known to alltieresias is a name known to all

Originally Posted by norsk
my parents always offered me aquavit at christmas. that stuff is proper harsh
That's the stuff flavoured with caraway seeds? Delicious!
Old Aug 29th 2010, 9:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

Heineken. We'd make a pyramid, then pick them off from a distance with the airgun.
Me +
dad +
Uncle JimBob +
Uncle Buck +
Cousin Mary Lou
Old Aug 30th 2010, 7:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seven seas
Heineken. We'd make a pyramid, then pick them off from a distance with the airgun.
Me +
dad +
Uncle JimBob +
Uncle Buck +
Cousin Mary Lou
I didn't realise that you were a Redneck.
Old Aug 30th 2010, 8:05 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't realise that you were a Redneck.
I doubt many rednecks drink Heineken. Milwaukee's Best (or Beast as it is sometimes called) is more likely the tipple of choice...
Old Aug 30th 2010, 8:14 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

I vaguely remember drinking something nicknamed Mill Swill when at university in the US. Was it properly called Old Milwaukee?

It was awful.

Bud light is upscale for the rednecks.

Originally Posted by norsk
I doubt many rednecks drink Heineken. Milwaukee's Best (or Beast as it is sometimes called) is more likely the tipple of choice...
Old Aug 30th 2010, 8:40 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

I did try and drink Cafferys for a while. Love the stuff, but the hangover used to start while I was midway through the 3rd pint so hate to jack that in.

I've yet to find blue cheese or olives nice...
I remember coming back from Saudi a few years ago to find out that they had reduced the alchol content of Caffreys, due to so many people complaining of sair heids!!! I thought to myself, if you cannae handle a Caffreys, dinnae drink it..!!!

Still love the stuff but, since you cannae get it in DXB, make do with Kilkenny!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.