British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   The drink that got you started. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/drink-got-you-started-683168/)

Millhouse Aug 29th 2010 6:22 am

The drink that got you started.

As a 14 year old, mine was 'Special K' or 'Diamond White'... Yours?

lionheart Aug 29th 2010 6:24 am

Re: The drink that got you started.

Scrumpy, my boy.

MacScot Aug 29th 2010 6:26 am

Besides being given hot toddies (whisky) as a kid...I basically started off on ciders at uni when I was 17...then moved to lager and later to whisky (again!) :)

Millhouse Aug 29th 2010 6:44 am

Originally Posted by MacScot (Post 8810321)
Beside being given hot toddies (whisky) as a kid...I basically started off on ciders at uni when I was 17...then moved to lager and later to whisky (again!) :)

Nice. It seems like the apple juice is a good starting ground.

I too moved from cider to lager followed by baileys chasers (I was young). I've since moved to lager tops followed by vodka-cokes when I've hit the 7 pint limit.

I've dropped the baileys chasers but still like it occasionally on the rocks before bed.

xpatjay Aug 29th 2010 6:49 am

My first tipple, apart for the odd bits my mum and dad allowed me to have at Christmas etc etc etc, was vodka and lime - http://a.imageshack.us/img837/6918/yukpuke.gif

Have come on in leaps and bounds since then!

MacScot Aug 29th 2010 6:52 am

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse (Post 8810344)
Nice. It seems like the apple juice is a good starting ground.

I too moved from cider to lager followed by baileys chasers (I was young). I've since moved to lager tops followed by vodka-cokes when I've hit the 7 pint limit.

I've dropped the baileys chasers but still like it occasionally on the rocks before bed.

I think when you are younger your taste buds still prefer sweet things and drinks, it was later I moved to lager. Same with blue cheese, I thought it tasted like soap when I was in my late teens, yet later and now I can easily demolish a blue vein cheese, such as Stilton.

Ethos83 Aug 29th 2010 6:52 am

Cider - beer - liquor is the standard route.

I didn't take well to alcohol when I first started drinking. My American family rarely drank anything harder than chardonnay at a special event and even then they felt guilty, whereas my English family didn't consider it a day until they'd had a bottle at lunch, drinks after work, another bottle or two at supper and a bedtime toddy.

It's hard to balance the two halves. Even today I have an odd relationship to alcohol. I want to be a drunkard but I can't stomach having more than two or three drinks at a go.

Millhouse Aug 29th 2010 7:03 am

Originally Posted by MacScot (Post 8810356)
I think when you are younger your taste buds still prefer sweet things and drinks, it was later I moved to lager. Same with blue cheese, I thought it tasted like soap when I was in my late teens, yet later and now I can easily demolish a blue vein cheese, such as Stilton.

I did try and drink Cafferys for a while. Love the stuff, but the hangover used to start while I was midway through the 3rd pint so hate to jack that in.

I've yet to find blue cheese or olives nice...

Ethos83 Aug 29th 2010 7:05 am

I never liked blue cheese until one day I had some smeared on a piece of crispy melba toast with a dab of honey.

It was nice.

Try it.

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse (Post 8810375)

Grace O Malley Aug 29th 2010 7:08 am

I don't drink, disgusting habit....

Grace O Malley Aug 29th 2010 7:09 am

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse (Post 8810375)

God, me too, ewey...

Autonomy Aug 29th 2010 7:11 am

Originally Posted by Grace O Malley (Post 8810383)

are you still drunk....? :eek:

Millhouse Aug 29th 2010 7:17 am

Originally Posted by Ethos83 (Post 8810377)
I never liked blue cheese until one day I had some smeared on a piece of crispy melba toast with a dab of honey.

It was nice.

Try it.

Cheese and honey...? This just seems so wrong.

Lisa likes a Brie and Cranberry sandwich, or the poor mans version of cheddar and jam. all just seems wrong to me.

xpatjay Aug 29th 2010 7:20 am

Originally Posted by Grace O Malley (Post 8810383)

And reason being?

Millhouse Aug 29th 2010 7:21 am

Originally Posted by xpatjay (Post 8810409)
And reason being?

she can't handle it.