Is the dream dead?

Old May 6th 2019, 3:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the dream dead?

I remember when I first came to Dubai in 2008 thrilled to be making 25k a month as an architect and then I met a dumb blonde from Australia who'd come over on a whim and walked into PA jobs making 20k, with no quals or degrees....

It was a weird time. Literally anyone from a western country could get a job. I'd never experienced anything like Dubai in 2007-2008 and won't again.

Cenary: expatdom is ephemeral. I spent 10 years as an expat in the Gulf and Singapore and while I had a good time except for the two years in Qatar, I have no desires to be an expat again. It's a highly transitional environment and the conveyor belt of friends coming and leaving and constant moving and constant living out of suitcases wears you down after a while.
Old May 6th 2019, 3:49 pm
Just Joined

Mr Cenary is an unknown quantity at this point

I’ve been doing it for a good while and enjoy it as much as ever. I’m fine with people coming and going. And dumb blondes.
Old May 6th 2019, 3:50 pm
Just Joined

Mr Cenary is an unknown quantity at this point

By the way, living out of suitcases sounds like a drag. I can see how that would pall.
Old May 6th 2019, 5:11 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Mr Cenary
You pay 20% more to UAE expats to come to KSA? Is that all?

What field of work?
Construction
Old May 8th 2019, 12:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

HiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Is the dream dead?

Originally Posted by DOHDUBMAN
I'm in O&G and you are completely correct in regards to well head maintenance. Last quarter of last year and currently increasing at an alarming rate. I know that companies will soon be scrambling to get guys back on their books as they are offering big day rates to consultants. Contracts are out now for drilling (existing slots). I cant see anymore exploration until it starts hitting $100 again.
Under sea have just picked up the exploration contract for the red sea
Old May 25th 2019, 7:38 am
Forum Regular

NewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to behold

I worked in AUH for two years just after the GFC. I left in 2011.

I was taking a look the other day at job offers. I was shocked. Salaries (including major local companies or international companies based in the UAE) are lower than what I was paid and back in the day I had car/housing allowance. So something like this:

2009: my salary was (let's say) AED 25k + house + car + flights
2019: I see salaries max. AED 20k with no allowance of any type (!)

Maybe housing costs are down now, but my acquitances there keep me telling how expensive the UAE has became (food, utilities, fuel, enterteinment). I really cannot make those numbers.

To live pay check to pay check I would rather live anywhere in the civilised world. This is an advantage people with a 1st-world passport have compared to a Filipino or an Indian which have a slightly harder time to get a job in Europe, the US or any Western country.
Old May 26th 2019, 9:23 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DOHDUBMAN
I'm in O&G and you are completely correct in regards to well head maintenance. Last quarter of last year and currently increasing at an alarming rate. I know that companies will soon be scrambling to get guys back on their books as they are offering big day rates to consultants. Contracts are out now for drilling (existing slots). I cant see anymore exploration until it starts hitting $100 again.
agreed - we are getting a lot of decommissioning work and the usual maintenance work, which is keeping us ticking over. But definitely no exploration currently.