British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Drat (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/drat-620396/)

Sarahb79 Jul 15th 2009 10:10 pm

Drat

Just found out that my housing allowance won't allow me to live in Dubai, will only cover AD. Won't get as much for my money, Drat, Drat and double Drat.:(

Euc- Jul 15th 2009 10:16 pm

Re: Drat

Originally Posted by Sarahb79 (Post 7756134)
Just found out that my housing allowance won't allow me to live in Dubai, will only cover AD. Won't get as much for my money, Drat, Drat and double Drat.:(

Ouch, that's a bugger :(

But why? They give you a certain amount, you should be able to do with it what you want right? You can't talk to someone?

Zico2009 Jul 16th 2009 3:24 am

This is a new one, I shall explain.

Housing allowance is and should be paid directly to you, not the landlord, or agent. Therefore, you should be able to reside where you desire.

Speak to the agent who has found this job for you and confirm this, as once your out here its nigh on impossible to get anything changed.

Millsyisland Jul 16th 2009 4:01 am

Originally Posted by Zico2009 (Post 7756757)
This is a new one, I shall explain.

Housing allowance is and should be paid directly to you, not the landlord, or agent. Therefore, you should be able to reside where you desire.

Speak to the agent who has found this job for you and confirm this, as once your out here its nigh on impossible to get anything changed.

This isn't always the case - my accommodation is arranged by my employer directly with the landlord, I do not have the option to have it paid directly to me.

MataHari Jul 16th 2009 5:17 am

Originally Posted by Millsyisland (Post 7756807)
This isn't always the case - my accommodation is arranged by my employer directly with the landlord, I do not have the option to have it paid directly to me.

I agree, it's not a rule that it should be paid to you...

Blue Cat Jul 16th 2009 6:57 am

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 7756931)
I agree, it's not a rule that it should be paid to you...

it's up to the employer really, Sarah I would seriously re think this you won't get anything in AD for your budget:(

Sarahb79 Jul 16th 2009 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 7757092)
it's up to the employer really, Sarah I would seriously re think this you won't get anything in AD for your budget:(

Can you please advise once candidates have completed the 3 month probationary period, they are allowed to rent accommodation in Dubai as well as Abu Dhabi.

=== Options 1: a candidate is free to stay outside hospital accommodation even on the first day of joining. Housing allowance for single status 2,000DHS, married 3,000 DHS.+water/electric ,transpo as well. After 3 months probation if recommended for permanent candidates can avail housing allowance as per contract. He/she can look for a flat and the hospital will pay direct for 1 yr.. If candidate not have the interest to avail the housing still the monthly allowance will add on to the salary ,electric,water,transpo.

As per HAAD they will pay only housing inside Abu Dhabi as we are under HAAD.

Is what the hospital have said. Basically you get the 100,00 if you live in AD but want anywhere else you only get 2,000 per month. Doesn't take a genius to work out which option is better.

Euc- Jul 16th 2009 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by Sarahb79 (Post 7759207)
Can you please advise once candidates have completed the 3 month probationary period, they are allowed to rent accommodation in Dubai as well as Abu Dhabi.

=== Options 1: a candidate is free to stay outside hospital accommodation even on the first day of joining. Housing allowance for single status 2,000DHS, married 3,000 DHS.+water/electric ,transpo as well. After 3 months probation if recommended for permanent candidates can avail housing allowance as per contract. He/she can look for a flat and the hospital will pay direct for 1 yr.. If candidate not have the interest to avail the housing still the monthly allowance will add on to the salary ,electric,water,transpo.

As per HAAD they will pay only housing inside Abu Dhabi as we are under HAAD.

Is what the hospital have said. Basically you get the 100,00 if you live in AD but want anywhere else you only get 2,000 per month. Doesn't take a genius to work out which option is better.

Maybe its the alcohol talking but I don't get it?

So either the hospital will find you an apartment for 100k, but you have no choice in where it is going to be, or you get 24k and you can choose your own?

Edit; I think I get it, sort of. Surely you could find something in AD for 100k?

Sarahb79 Jul 17th 2009 10:00 am

I read it as either you can find a flat on AD and they'll pay up to 100,000 for it, or apparently HR will help you to find somewhere. However if you want to live outside AD, as I thought I might do, Then yo only get 24,000.

So has anyone got any idea on where to live in AD. The hospital is on the outskirts just off SZR. All hep gratefully recieved.

Blue Cat Jul 17th 2009 10:44 am

Originally Posted by Sarahb79 (Post 7760550)
I read it as either you can find a flat on AD and they'll pay up to 100,000 for it, or apparently HR will help you to find somewhere. However if you want to live outside AD, as I thought I might do, Then yo only get 24,000.

So has anyone got any idea on where to live in AD. The hospital is on the outskirts just off SZR. All hep gratefully recieved.

do a search on dubizzle.com, I can't see you getting much for a 100k though :o

shakh your bootie Jul 17th 2009 10:49 am

If that's there attitiude it doesn't sound like they are going to be a good employer to work for. Vote with your feet - no money, no honey.

Blue Cat Jul 17th 2009 10:50 am

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie (Post 7760670)
If that's there attitiude it doesn't sound like they are going to be a good employer to work for. Vote with your feet - no money, no honey.

they are Government, they are keeping their money in their own Emirate.

samanthak Jul 17th 2009 12:31 pm

Too true Blue Cat, I realise thats why they are doing it. Some stuff is coming up on dubizzle, my budget is 120k, maybe when hubby sorts a job might make up shortfall that way, just another thought!

Grace O Malley Jul 17th 2009 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 7760674)
they are Government, they are keeping their money in their own Emirate.

thats exactly whats happening.

soukie Jul 17th 2009 12:56 pm

Not sure where the hospital is but it sounds like the Dubai side of Abu Dhabi - you might get something in Khalifa City or Mohamed Bin Zayed City for your budget but in my opinion Dhs100,000 is still low even for these areas. There is talk that rents are dropping in AD but the only real evidence I've seen of that are the villas in Al Raha Gardens and that seems due to over supply and lack of facilities. Good luck with the search :fingerscrossed: