British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Dragon in Dubai (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/dragon-dubai-513034/)

MissDemeanor Feb 9th 2008 12:57 pm

Dragon in Dubai

Can anyone give us some advice...if there is any to be given!

Our landlady is a ......!
The first week we moved in,(3 weeks) we discovered the sprinklers were broken.We spoke to her and she said that she would have someone out in the next couple of days.It didnt happen.We then kept phoning and she wouldnt answer her phone,and when she did she was very selective about how much english she understood,and again said she would sort it.Thursday night her and her husband came round to have a look and
said they would fix it today at 3,but didnt turn up.We phoned and kicked off,but its like banging our heads against a brick wall.The water pump went 2 weeks ago,and she refused to pay for that too.
Is there anything we can do???:mad:

Madam Medusa Feb 9th 2008 2:14 pm

Re: Dragon in Dubai

oh you will get used to the "inshallah" way of doing things here...it is really frustrating but i don't think your landlady is unique...

I just bug our watchman like hell until things get sorted...i don't know whether there is any other more formal action you can take though...

MM, xx

MissDemeanor Feb 9th 2008 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 5908589)
oh you will get used to the "inshallah" way of doing things here...it is really frustrating but i don't think your landlady is unique...

I just bug our watchman like hell until things get sorted...i don't know whether there is any other more formal action you can take though...

MM, xx

I tell you though MM,she is really winding me up.The garden is dying,and he put 4 bags of grass seed down today thinking it would be fixed.
Im seething.:curse:

Grace O Malley Feb 9th 2008 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by MissDemeanor (Post 5908410)
Can anyone give us some advice...if there is any to be given!

Our landlady is a ......!
The first week we moved in,(3 weeks) we discovered the sprinklers were broken.We spoke to her and she said that she would have someone out in the next couple of days.It didnt happen.We then kept phoning and she wouldnt answer her phone,and when she did she was very selective about how much english she understood,and again said she would sort it.Thursday night her and her husband came round to have a look and
said they would fix it today at 3,but didnt turn up.We phoned and kicked off,but its like banging our heads against a brick wall.The water pump went 2 weeks ago,and she refused to pay for that too.
Is there anything we can do???:mad:

The landlady is UAE national, yes? They dont like confrontation or arguments (as a rule) so try a softer approach rather than kicking off, it may help, worth giving it a try if you get what you want:)

lionheart Feb 9th 2008 3:26 pm

What do sprinklers do?

Madam Medusa Feb 9th 2008 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 5908731)
What do sprinklers do?

is this a trick question...?

MM, xx

Inselaffen Feb 9th 2008 3:36 pm

What do sprinklers do?

they sprinkle!

Confucius Feb 9th 2008 3:47 pm

What do sprinklers do?

They dodge bullets,Avi...

MissDemeanor Feb 9th 2008 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by Confucius (Post 5908786)
They dodge bullets,Avi...

Aah,one of my favourite films!!...do you like dags?!!:D

MissDemeanor Feb 9th 2008 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by annacarna (Post 5908708)
The landlady is UAE national, yes? They dont like confrontation or arguments (as a rule) so try a softer approach rather than kicking off, it may help, worth giving it a try if you get what you want:)

Ive tried sweetness,politeness and Mary Poppins.....there is no getting through to her.Dont know what to do now!

Confucius Feb 9th 2008 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by MissDemeanor (Post 5909041)
Aah,one of my favourite films!!...do you like dags?!!:D

Aye...I hate cets...

Confucius Feb 9th 2008 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by MissDemeanor (Post 5909046)
Ive tried sweetness,politeness and Mary Poppins.....there is no getting through to her.Dont know what to do now!

Be patient...A smile takes you far...Usually it is more effective to get results nicely than with a conflict...So smile when you're getting ready to slap...

MissDemeanor Feb 9th 2008 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by Confucius (Post 5909055)
Be patient...A smile takes you far...Usually it is more effective to get results nicely than with a conflict...So smile when you're getting ready to slap...

Im smiling!!!.........thats the prozac working!!!:D