Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

The double dip recession arrives

The double dip recession arrives

Old Aug 9th 2011, 8:42 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The double dip recession arrives

Originally Posted by WakeUp
Sure tax the poor even more, there is a reason why they are rioting, do you really think further taxes on the lowest earners will make that situation better?

One way to bring in more would be to get hold of the tax dodgers, by that I mean those business men like Trevor Hemmings who earns all of his money in the UK but lives in the IOM. There are many high earners who dodge the taxation on their earnings.

WHOSH! That was clearly a sarcastic comment.

I said nothing about taxing lower earners (and for the record I am against that) , but you are making the rather shaky link that lower earners live on burgers and chips and wear hoodies. Interesting, if rather snotty, view, don't you think?
Old Aug 9th 2011, 8:42 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
I'm going for 50p tax on every burger and bag of chips and a 20% levy on hooded tops, for starters.
There's already a 50p tax on every burger*.

* if the burger costs three pounds
Old Aug 9th 2011, 8:44 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by typical
There's already a 50p tax on every burger*.

* if the burger costs three pounds
Good grief, does no one understand sarcasm or flippant quips today? The little smiley was a rather big clue.

Old Aug 9th 2011, 8:47 am

WakeUp is an unknown quantity at this point

WHOSH! That was clearly a sarcastic comment.

I said nothing about taxing lower earners (and for the record I am against that) , but you are making the rather shaky link that lower earners live on burgers and chips and wear hoodies. Interesting, if rather snotty, view, don't you think?
It didn't go WHOOSH at all, I found your post condescending and inappropriate, so I decided to pull you on it. The implication that the rioters were low earners and should be taxed on burgers and hoodies was implied in your post.
Old Aug 9th 2011, 8:48 am

Good grief, does no one understand sarcasm or flippant quips today? The little smiley was a rather big clue.

Maybe people expect better from an IFA who peddles their wares on this site.
Old Aug 9th 2011, 8:50 am
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by WakeUp
Maybe people expect better from an IFA who peddles their wares on this site.
I think you got out of bed on the wrong side of bed this morning.
Old Aug 9th 2011, 8:51 am

I think you got out of bed on the wrong side of bed this morning.
Maybe
Old Aug 9th 2011, 8:54 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

As it was on my reply, Meow, as it was on my reply
Old Aug 9th 2011, 8:57 am
Bored liberal

As it was on my reply, Meow, as it was on my reply

Of course what I should have referred to Greggs pasties...

I think I saw a Greggs being damaged last night to. Whatever is the world coming to?

Bloody Hell! Markets look awful so far today.
Old Aug 9th 2011, 9:07 am
Not an evil hypnotist

Of course what I should have referred to Greggs pasties...
Gosh, at a 50p surcharge, even I'd give Greggs a miss... and the inventor of the one-way catflap would see his patent income drop considerably

Bloody Hell! Markets look awful so far today.
Aye, it's getting messy out there...
Old Aug 9th 2011, 9:11 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

And they still pay far more taxes than most Britons do. The percentage of the tax burden paid by the top 1, 5, or 10% of income earners is stupendously high. The top 1% alone pays around 25% of the total tax bill in the UK. In the US it's even higher. What's the ideal number for you? The 1970s with its 83% tax rate was the absolute picture of prosperity, was it not?

[/QUOTE]More than they are taxed right now. (50% is, historically, not that high and is not the total effective tax rate; the top rate was 83% in 1974...)[/QUOTE]

Yep, sounds like you're making another excuse of your own.
[/QUOTE]On the first - yes, but I've never seen an accurate Laffer curve, and so this comes across more as an excuse. [/QUOTE]

Well...yes, I think we agree on this too.
[/QUOTE]By all means reduce a tax rise if it's shown to reduce overall take, but as long as the marginal gain for working more is positive, I would bet the vast majority of people would choose to earn more..[/QUOTE]

What? Most consumptions are taxable. The VAT for starters. Luxury boats for the rich is taxable as is a Mondeo for the man in Essex.
[/QUOTE]You're assuming too that their consumption would be taxable..[/QUOTE]

We can try. A credit and debt fueled 'stimulus' spending clearly hasn't worked and only resulted in stratospheric levels of debt that's clearly hindering the economic recovery. Note that the European countries with much more stable economies than the UK are the ones with a much smaller debt burden. The countries with higher levels of debt are....ta de dah...the PIIGS.

[/QUOTE]

It's going to be hard to make this a non-credit-fuelled, consumption-based recovery.[/QUOTE]
Old Aug 9th 2011, 9:58 am
Not an evil hypnotist

Originally Posted by Ethos83
And they still pay far more taxes than most Britons do. The percentage of the tax burden paid by the top 1, 5, or 10% of income earners is stupendously high. The top 1% alone pays around 25% of the total tax bill in the UK.
Cite, please?

According to HMRC, in 07-08 (latest figures I saw) basic rate taxpayers paid 67.7 Bn in income tax and higher rate taxpagers paid 93.2 Bn in income tax. Income tax is the largest source of income for the government.

Of course the rich pay more in absolute terms, in a progressive tax system - nevertheless, the poor tend to pay relatively more (due to a much higher portion of their income going to consumption).

Then again, the rich tend to have more use from government spending, directly or indirectly, even if in direct payment terms they see less.

What? Most consumptions are taxable. The VAT for starters. Luxury boats for the rich is taxable as is a Mondeo for the man in Essex.
Of course, it's just as difficult to avoid paying tax in the UK on a yacht as on a Mondeo... or rather, no, it's not. Try making your Mondeo part of a trading business...

We can try. A credit and debt fueled 'stimulus' spending clearly hasn't worked and only resulted in stratospheric levels of debt that's clearly hindering the economic recovery. Note that the European countries with much more stable economies than the UK are the ones with a much smaller debt burden. The countries with higher levels of debt are....ta de dah...the PIIGS.
Au contraire, I think the borrow-and-spend of the stimulus saved us from a much worse fate. Of course, the thanks we get from the very institutions we saved is to be screwed over by them in the bond markets for the debt we ran up to save their institutions...

Last edited by typical; Aug 9th 2011 at 10:17 am. Reason: Brain fart
Old Aug 9th 2011, 10:23 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Two years old, so the numbers are probably even higher now:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8417205.stm

Cite, please?
Au contraire, I think the borrow-and-spend of the stimulus saved us from a much worse fate. Of course, the thanks we get from the very institutions we saved is to be screwed over by them in the bond markets for the debt we ran up to save their institutions...
That, I think, we are going to have to agree to disagree on. A borrow and spend approach can work up to a limit, especially if you're starting off on a much smaller debt basis, but if you accumulate too much debt as was the case in the UK, you end up restraining economic growth.
Old Aug 9th 2011, 10:47 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

Of course what I should have referred to Greggs pasties... I think I saw a Greggs being damaged last night to. Whatever is the world coming to? Bloody Hell! Markets look awful so far today.
I've just bought 200 Greggs shares as they plummeted dramatically early morning. How is that for connecting two major news topics, the riots and the stock market plunge!
Old Aug 9th 2011, 11:06 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

No, I'm not. Inequality in the UK has got out of control.
Inequality of wealth is as old as humanity. Simply pointing the finger at the rich doesn't do much except lead down the path of Communism.

It might be better to look at how useless and wasteful the government is first - there are billions to be saved in that area alone. The poor in Britain are richer, healthier and live longer than the wealthy in a number of countries.

N.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.