Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Don't you miss snowmen...

Don't you miss snowmen...

Old Nov 24th 2008, 3:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: The city of many visions - and fast performance cars
weescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Don't you miss snowmen...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7744674.stm
Old Nov 24th 2008, 3:50 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Don't you miss snowmen...

I hadn't really given it much thought....
Old Nov 24th 2008, 3:51 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Just received some pics from my brother in Aberdeen... 3 inches overnight and more to come, apparently...
Old Nov 24th 2008, 3:52 am
BE Enthusiast

weescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MataHari
I hadn't really given it much thought....
Neither had I till I saw the slide show posted...
Old Nov 24th 2008, 3:56 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weescot
Neither had I till I saw the slide show posted...
it's one of those things you miss until you actually are in it and then you know it's not that great after all...getting the snow off your car in the morning and then getting into that cold car, driving through it etc etc...
Old Nov 24th 2008, 4:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MataHari
it's one of those things you miss until you actually are in it and then you know it's not that great after all...getting the snow off your car in the morning and then getting into that cold car, driving through it etc etc...
I only miss snowmen ... I never had a garage either, just snow boots and a bus pass - which I don't miss ...
Old Nov 24th 2008, 4:04 am
hmmmm...nice

Originally Posted by weescot
I only miss snowmen ... I never had a garage either, just snow boots and a bus pass - which I don't miss ...
go to Ski Dubai for a few hours...instant satisfaction
Old Nov 24th 2008, 4:09 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Ah.... went back in Aug for my sons b'day.. 40 C to 4 C in seconds.. Ye cannae beat it!!!!
Old Nov 24th 2008, 4:16 am
Account Closed

scarletfan is an unknown quantity at this point

It's that time of year when a couple of mm of snow falls, and the UK grinds to a halt! Do I miss it, not a hope!
Old Nov 24th 2008, 4:19 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

Originally Posted by scarletfan
It's that time of year when a couple of mm of snow falls, and the UK grinds to a halt! Do I miss it, not a hope!
A couple of mm's......lol. Where the 'fck are you talking about.. I can remember driving to work on main roads with 4 inches of snow on them. Its simply the fact that some parts of the country are better prepared. Mind you, if its the south of the island you are talking about, a couple of leaves is enough for the rail network to grind to a halt!!!
Old Nov 24th 2008, 4:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TGFKASE
A couple of mm's......lol. Where the 'fck are you talking about.. I can remember driving to work on main roads with 4 inches of snow on them. Its simply the fact that some parts of the country are better prepared. Mind you, if its the south of the island you are talking about, a couple of leaves is enough for the rail network to grind to a halt!!!
True ... but only the Canadians are masters of getting on with life in a real winter...
Old Nov 24th 2008, 4:27 am
Account Closed

scarletfan is an unknown quantity at this point

Try South & West Wales!
Local authorities - top class, know how to deal with every eventuality lol.
As for the leaves on the rail network, there was actually a plausible reason for that as I later discovered from a well versed educated engineer.
Fact is a minor current is relayed through the rail network, which identifies whether a section of track has a train on it. Wet leaves were falling on the tracks and sticking to the rail, which, in effect, indicated to the signallers that there was a train on that section of track! Whilst the papers got hold of the story and made a mockery of the rail network, it was a relatively new system that had been installed, obviously that needed some minor tweeks!
Old Nov 24th 2008, 4:27 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

I have family in Aboyne, jeez it snows there, Just that little bit inland from the coast.
Old Nov 24th 2008, 4:30 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

Originally Posted by commander
I have family in Aboyne, jeez it snows there, Just that little bit inland from the coast.
Ah, weel, ma loon, a'm jist ower the hill fae ye, a'm an Inverurie loon.....
Old Nov 24th 2008, 4:30 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

Originally Posted by scarletfan
Try South & West Wales!
Local authorities - top class, know how to deal with every eventuality lol.
As for the leaves on the rail network, there was actually a plausible reason for that as I later discovered from a well versed educated engineer.
Fact is a minor current is relayed through the rail network, which identifies whether a section of track has a train on it. Wet leaves were falling on the tracks and sticking to the rail, which, in effect, indicated to the signallers that there was a train on that section of track! Whilst the papers got hold of the story and made a mockery of the rail network, it was a relatively new system that had been installed, obviously that needed some minor tweeks!
Must have been a f'ckin heavy leaf.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.