British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Don't swim during Ramadam (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/dont-swim-during-ramadam-676322/)

Bahtatboy Jul 12th 2010 12:35 pm

Don't swim during Ramadam

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/s...e/10596808.stm

Swimming lessons in some Staffordshire schools should stop during Ramadan to ensure Muslim pupils "do not swallow water", a council has suggested.

Oh Buddah...

Spugsy Jul 12th 2010 12:36 pm

Re: Don't swim during Ramadam

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 8695857)
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/s...e/10596808.stm

Swimming lessons in some Staffordshire schools should stop during Ramadan to ensure Muslim pupils "do not swallow water", a council has suggested.

Oh Buddah...

yeah cos you always drink the water in the baths eh??

Inselaffen Jul 12th 2010 12:39 pm

don't let them outside then in case it rains and some water goes in their mouths.

glynster Jul 12th 2010 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 8695865)
don't let them outside then in case it rains and some water goes in their mouths.

And dont let them wash..................hang on....

Bahtatboy Jul 12th 2010 1:11 pm

Just had a thought, a rare event as it may be: Will the next Olympics be held during Ramadam?

Madam Medusa Jul 12th 2010 1:36 pm

how ridiculous...least they haven't suggested all the other kids fast to support their muslim chums...

i hadn't realised there is a new rule in the uk whereby you need one adult per child if you want to take them swimming...wtf, that is mad...

MM, xx

Umbrella Jul 12th 2010 1:56 pm

Wow... and here I thought Japan and California were way too polite and PC...

Are the teachers also advised to report children that try to break their fast or lust after a classmate during Ramadan?

I mean, it's not done well if it's not done right, right?

Just my 2 hallalas (sp?)...

U

Grace O Malley Jul 12th 2010 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 8696027)
how ridiculous...least they haven't suggested all the other kids fast to support their muslim chums...

i hadn't realised there is a new rule in the uk whereby you need one adult per child if you want to take them swimming...wtf, that is mad...

MM, xx

neither did i, it used to be one to three for the under 11's in my day. Oh i used to hate swimming days.

hnd Jul 12th 2010 8:50 pm

Couldn't they just use a snorkel? Or does that go against the nil by mouth edict?

Or, surely the most sensible solution, exempt all Muslim students from swimming lessons during Ramadan.

FFSGR

Boomhauer Jul 13th 2010 3:02 am

How about swimming lessons be optional for Muslim kids or better yet have them all take Ramadan off from school.:thumbup:

Barring that, this isn't a problem that some duck tape won't fix!

I am really peed off with religious groups always pressuring for and demanding special benefits/rules.

I thought Muslims were allowed to drink water during fasting time, even those not pregnant or young.

Meow Jul 13th 2010 5:32 am

Why are children even fasting? Bloody daft.

shikra Jul 13th 2010 5:38 am

The reason for applying this rule seems more ridiculous. What I know is that if you don't drink water for removing your thirst, there is no issue no mater how much water goes into your mouth because of any reason. But anyways, :huh:

Norm_uk Jul 13th 2010 6:30 am

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 8696027)

MM, xx

Not yet I bet. We have already been told not to wish muslims Merry Christmas in the UK, and to avoid eating in front of them during ramadan. UK taxpayers money goes directly into the pockets of 'faith schools' which are all too often teaching values to the children of muslim parents which are in direct opposition to the British mainstream.

How much longer will this silly multicultural experiment last before someone wakes up and realises that a unified nation is much stronger and more stable than a divided one?

Inselaffen Jul 13th 2010 7:18 am

Originally Posted by Boomhauer (Post 8697539)
How about swimming lessons be optional for Muslim kids or better yet have them all take Ramadan off from school.:thumbup:

Barring that, this isn't a problem that some duck tape won't fix!

I am really peed off with religious groups always pressuring for and demanding special benefits/rules.

I thought Muslims were allowed to drink water during fasting time, even those not pregnant or young.

no they are not allowed to drink at all

littlejimmy Jul 13th 2010 8:11 am

Jeez, Bahtatboy, this is straight out of the Daily Mail stable. All that's probably happened is that some well-meaning but naive council employee has made a SUGGESTION (the word is even used in the piece) and the next thing we've got the usual people jumping up and down saying Christmas is banned, FFS.