British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Don't swear at a policemen! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/dont-swear-policemen-816167/)

Patsy Stoned Nov 26th 2013 6:24 am

Don't swear at a policemen!

http://www.thenational.ae/uae/courts...ai-traffic-cop

I must remember not to swear near a policeman..especial in an open top Jeep :D

Maxima Nov 26th 2013 6:56 am

Re: Don't swear at a policemen!

Note that the accused denies swearing and said she only spoke in a loud voice.

Any reason for believing one side over the other ?

Also interesting that a mother of a child gets the same sentence for a supposed swearing as a drunk driver who kills people by running them over

Yoohoo Nov 26th 2013 7:14 am

I presume they'd never believe the word of a woman over a man, particularly a policeman, in the courts here.

A month in jail seems a long time for insulting somebody. She was a twat though - she should have parked the car and carried the kid into her building. It wasn't as if she was the only person who was having a bad day - an ambulance working on people right in front of one should make one realise there are worse things in life than having to wait a wee while.

shiva Nov 26th 2013 7:20 am

it sounds like she was being an arse and rightly punished.
the punishment however is ridiculous especially when compared to the drunk driver killing someone.

The notion of punishing for swearing/anti social behavior I can understand and agree with but what passes for sentencing here is an utter farce

jam25mack Nov 26th 2013 7:43 am

I do wonder if the evidence given by opposing parties in cases like this ever actually reflect what is done / said.

After working with many nationalities from this region, I have realised that the line between fact and fiction can be very blurred especially when asked to recount something at a later date. Some nationalities even take a bit of national pride in spinning out a load of old cobblers..... yanni!

Cypselos Nov 26th 2013 7:49 am

Originally Posted by Maxima (Post 11008051)

Any reason for believing one side over the other ?

"arrested the next moring trying to leave the country" suggests she knew she'd done more than speak in a loud voice?

jam25mack Nov 26th 2013 7:51 am

Originally Posted by Cypselos (Post 11008085)
"arrested the next moring trying to leave the country" suggests she knew she'd done more than speak in a loud voice?

Maybe she was going on holiday / away on business? admittedly it looks a tad shady but you can't jump to that conclusion.

Cypselos Nov 26th 2013 7:54 am

Correlation doesn't equal causation of course, but it's a hell of a coincidence.

jam25mack Nov 26th 2013 7:59 am

Originally Posted by Cypselos (Post 11008092)
Correlation doesn't equal causation of course, but it's a hell of a coincidence.

Agreed.

However, would you try and do a runner if all you did was give a copper some verbals? It doesn't sound (from the article) like there was to much in it.

Either way 1 month is complete BS, however, it's not like I am surprised. Sentencing and justice here always baffle me in terms of the logic, or lack of involved.

Maxima Nov 26th 2013 8:14 am

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 11008078)
I do wonder if the evidence given by opposing parties in cases like this ever actually reflect what is done / said.

After working with many nationalities from this region, I have realised that the line between fact and fiction can be very blurred especially when asked to recount something at a later date. Some nationalities even take a bit of national pride in spinning out a load of old cobblers..... yanni!

One of the few such "news" that i still remember among all these is of a western tourist visiting Emax in MOE and asking a 20 year old salesman where he was from. When he replied "Pakistan", the tourist apparently started abusing the Prophet!
Even without knowing any further details, I can bet money that the salesman was lying.

kittycat1 Nov 27th 2013 3:02 am

Ok I'm making a few assumptions here but: To be honest I believe him, some of the jumeriah jane types here are so rude so impatient and complete bitches with an inflated ego and over rated impression if self importance, I had one behind me in the supermarket the other day where the queue was very slow the girl on the til was incredibly flustered and this woman flew into a tirade of abuse as obviously she was late for her coffee morning or facial on wax or whatever, she was completely out of order, which I may have pointed out and to show some respect- she looked like she was ready to kill me and how date I belittle her in front of the staff! So I say good for the copper slam a few more of the old witches up! Honestly I have no idea where these women come from surely they once knew how to show respect to others? Anyway rant over!

In regards to her sentence,I think its good - that'll teach her some manners! however the sentence for the drink driver was far too relaxed.

Boomhauer Nov 27th 2013 3:04 am

Originally Posted by Yoohoo (Post 11008057)
I presume they'd never believe the word of a non Emirati woman over an Emirati man, particularly a policeman, in the courts here.

Fixed it for you;)

Boomhauer Nov 27th 2013 3:07 am

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 11009562)
Honestly I have no idea where these women come from surely they once knew how to show respect to others? Anyway rant over!

Something in the water, in the air, in the Dubai psyche??:whistle:

Kix Nov 27th 2013 4:02 am

Originally Posted by Boomhauer (Post 11009565)
Fixed it for you;)

Most of the green uniformed cops aren't Emiratis, they're more often than not Yemenis, the Emiratis wouldn't take such a menial job, they want to be officers (sand uniforms) or CID (no uniforms).

shiva Nov 27th 2013 4:10 am

Originally Posted by Kix (Post 11009606)
Most of the green uniformed cops aren't Emiratis, they're more often than not Yemenis, the Emiratis wouldn't take such a menial job, they want to be officers (sand uniforms) or CID (no uniforms).

Which is why the cops don't bother stopping locals or other gcc nationals when driving like utter ***** on the road. 99% of the time the cop will be told in no uncertain terms where to go and what he can do to himself.