Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Don't go to see Wolf of Wall Street in Dubai......

Don't go to see Wolf of Wall Street in Dubai......

Old Jan 13th 2014, 4:27 am
Just Joined

Evilmunki is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Don't go to see Wolf of Wall Street in Dubai......

it is cut to shreds, all the dirty bits have been removed (boo) and most of the swearing, there was more than one occasion that it would be cut in the middle of a scene and restart in the middle of another scene.

I complained about it and was told that 30 minutes have been cut out to keep the censors happy, when I told them that it made the film nigh on unwatchable I got a complimentary ticket by way of apology - I was told that if I had walked out halfway through I would have got my money back but because I stayed to the bitter end they wouldn't give anything back
Old Jan 13th 2014, 4:29 am
Wannabe Cycling God

TheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Don't go to see Wolf of Wall Street in Dubai......

cut by 45 mins actually according to the National.

http://www.thenational.ae/uae/the-wo...-profane-movie

I watched it last night (downloaded) and thought that it was an excellent film. I agree that it would lose a lot of its punch if cut so dramatically.
Old Jan 13th 2014, 4:32 am
Just Joined

It was excellent, really good, but considering it is the film with the second most use of the word f### (over 500 times!) that made for a hell of a lot of silent moments
Old Jan 13th 2014, 4:51 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Frankly I am amazed that anyone would bother going to see a film like that at a cinema here. Surely everyone knows films are censored?
Old Jan 13th 2014, 4:53 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Meow
Frankly I am amazed that anyone would bother going to see a film like that at a cinema here. Surely everyone knows films are censored?
I'm well aware that films out here are censored, just wasn't expecting it to be butchered the way it was
Old Jan 13th 2014, 8:39 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
I cannot understand how anyone would go to a Middle Eastern cinema to watch any movie with their censorship laws.
Old Jan 13th 2014, 8:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Is the scene where he's trying to drive a Ferrari whilst loaded on Quaaludes censored too?
Old Jan 13th 2014, 8:56 am
BE Enthusiast

flood2 will become famous soon enoughflood2 will become famous soon enough

Films are bad enough, but I was watching man v's food on Fox last at a friends and they cut the word "Ham" out. Funny in a half hour program about Ham! Nuts
Old Jan 13th 2014, 9:07 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by flood2
Films are bad enough, but I was watching man v's food on Fox last at a friends and they cut the word "Ham" out. Funny in a half hour program about Ham! Nuts
Masterchef Australia was piss funny when a woman cooked Roast Pork.

Even the word was wiped out and always bleeped. Hilarious.
Old Jan 13th 2014, 10:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Millsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond repute

It's not only the censorship though, it's the way certain people behave in cinemas here too - talking (loudly), either to each other or on their phone, constantly getting up and down, kids running around etc.
Old Jan 13th 2014, 9:16 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by OleJanx
Is the scene where he's trying to drive a Ferrari whilst loaded on Quaaludes censored too?
Funnily enough, no it isn't, which is mental in itself, no consistency in what's in or out!
Old Jan 14th 2014, 1:44 am
Forum Regular

Myusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really nice

It's not only the censorship though, it's the way certain people behave in cinemas here too - talking (loudly), either to each other or on their phone, constantly getting up and down, kids running around etc.
They would quickly learn if it was in the states..

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...eater/4457907/
Old Jan 14th 2014, 7:38 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britexpat76
I cannot understand how anyone would go to a Middle Eastern cinema to watch any movie with their censorship laws.
Depends entirely on the movie. Plenty of mainstream films get through with very minimal or indeed no censorship. A bigger annoyance can be the subtitles, especially if they're in both Arabic and French.
Old Jan 15th 2014, 4:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I like the cinema here.
Old Jan 15th 2014, 9:36 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I like the cinema here.
I agree, go around lunchtime on a weekend and it's generally quiet.

It's common sense on as to going to see films, it is generally fairly obvious what is cut - gratuitous violence is fine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.