British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Doha Airport tips please - Lounges? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/doha-airport-tips-please-lounges-860895/)

Bongoman2 Jun 28th 2015 11:12 am

Doha Airport tips please - Lounges?

So the wife and kids are off home for a stretch and have to do a 3 hour layover in Doha late in the evening.

I want to make it easy for them if I can, so was hoping I could get them into a lounge to relax for a bit? Are all the lounges for premium frequent flyers only?

I haven't done the new airport yet and well remember the old one where it involved a 20 minute bus ride to the terminal then a squash through immigration into a dodgy old terminal.

DXBtoDOH Jun 28th 2015 1:51 pm

Re: Doha Airport tips please - Lounges?

Can't speak for the lounges but the new airport is pretty posh. And quiet every time I've flown through, which is every 2-3 weeks. I don't think you need a lounge for a few hours' respite. There's even a couple fancy looking large kiosks with free internet access on Macs.

DXB looks worn and tired by comparison.

Work Widow Jun 29th 2015 4:33 pm

Enoyed time in the Qatar Airways lounge, but I was travelling business class. Beautifully decorated, reflection pool and fine dining upstairs.

miuser2 Jun 29th 2015 6:48 pm

The Oryx lounge allows paid access but I'm not sure it's really worth it, it's not a great lounge and you have pretty good facilities in the rest of the airport.

Big_Show Jun 30th 2015 3:01 am

I've never bothered trying to find the lounges - normally just sit at the bar for a couple of hours. Get me even more in the mood for leaving the country :)

britexpat76 Jun 30th 2015 9:21 am

Originally Posted by Big_Show (Post 11688356)
I've never bothered trying to find the lounges - normally just sit at the bar for a couple of hours. Get me even more in the mood for leaving the country :)

Thats exactly what I do, I've never bothered with the lounge at the new airport. Bottle of Vino in Champagne & Caviar for 100 chips and smiley friendly staff.

co durham boy Jul 1st 2015 8:06 am

If you're flying business with QA the lounge is pretty good with decent food options and a well stocked bar which will pour Krug down your neck until you fall over . The other lounges are bog standard even for Gold Card holders , curly sarnies and warm cans of Fosters .

The premium terminal in the old airport was far superior IMO as it was set aside and you had direct access to the flight when flying business.

Bongoman2 Jul 5th 2015 7:17 am

Thanks for all the tips. Seems to be a lot different to the old airport then.
She didn't need the lounge and even found some kids playgrounds in the terminal.

Cheers all