British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Doha airport in Qatar 'examined women internally' after newborn baby found (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/doha-airport-qatar-examined-women-internally-after-newborn-baby-found-935435/)

psychopomp1 Oct 25th 2020 9:45 pm

Doha airport in Qatar 'examined women internally' after newborn baby found

Australia has raised "serious concerns" with Qatar after women were reportedly subjected to invasive internal exams as they tried to board a flight from Doha to Sydney.

The examinations reportedly happened after staff at Hamad International Airport discovered a newborn baby in a terminal toilet.

The baby remains unidentified and is being cared for.

Thirteen Australians were among those said to have been examined.

They were taken to an ambulance on the tarmac and told to remove their underwear before being examined, Channel Seven reported.

The women were not told why they were being examined before boarding the Qatar Airways flight on 2 October.

The Australian government has raised the incident with Qatari authorities.

"We have formally registered our serious concerns regarding the incident with Qatari authorities and have been assured that detailed and transparent information on the event will be provided soon," a spokesman for the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade told local media.

A spokesman for New South Wales police, which runs the hotel quarantine operation for those arriving in Sydney, said of the incident: "Those women completed mandatory quarantine in NSW, during which time they were provided with medical and psychological support by NSW Health."

Qatar Airways have not yet responded to a request for comment.

A spokeswoman for Hamad International Airport said: "Medical professionals expressed concern to officials about the health and welfare of a mother who had just given birth and requested she be located prior to departing" the airport.

The airport is seeking information about the mother, while the child is being cared for by medical and social workers.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-54682565

Sad that they still couldn't find the mother despite such draconian actions.

OriginalSunshine Oct 26th 2020 1:53 pm

Re: Doha airport in Qatar 'examined women internally' after newborn baby found

Originally Posted by psychopomp1 (Post 12926186)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-54682565

Sad that they still couldn't find the mother despite such draconian actions.

wtf? Your first thought is “sad they can’t find the mother”?!?! Ffs

nonthaburi Oct 26th 2020 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine (Post 12926450)

My first thought was what happens if you refused. Were they going to get security and hold people down or what? 🤔️

flares Oct 26th 2020 4:15 pm

Dunno what the fuss is about. Had a similar experience on arrival into Stansted from Ibiza in 1989. They were looking for a load of narcs following a tip off though. I shrugged it off but one of our group was in tears. Another asked an officer if he like looking up young lads arses - not sure that strategy would've worked at Hamed International..

Millhouse Oct 26th 2020 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by flares (Post 12926512)
Dunno what the fuss is about. Had a similar experience on arrival into Stansted from Ibiza in 1989. They were looking for a load of narcs following a tip off though. I shrugged it off but one of our group was in tears. Another asked an officer if he like looking up young lads arses - not sure that strategy would've worked at Hamed International..

spot on - and it's not a massive search to see if a woman has just given birth or not.

My guess is that it's the lady they didn't check... the 60 year old miracle.

psychopomp1 Oct 26th 2020 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine (Post 12926450)

Wot you think its perfectly normal for someone to dump a new born?! We're talking about REAL HUMAN BEING being here, not leaving behing some trash in a toilet. Have some empathy for the new born. The mother must have been in a right mental state to do something like that, almost a tragedy no one was able to find her and give her the necessary support

scrubbedexpat141 Oct 27th 2020 6:08 am

I think is someone wanted to look at my private bits and dirty undies without any sort of explanation they'd get told where the **** to go.

mikelincs Oct 27th 2020 8:50 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12926729)
I think is someone wanted to look at my private bits and dirty undies without any sort of explanation they'd get told where the **** to go.

This, I think, is the real problem, these women were just taken of the plane, sent to a strange part of the airport and subjected to these examinations with no prior explanation as to why. Also, local women might not have been as upset as they are , in the main, their husband's property and wouldn't complain.

scrubbedexpat141 Oct 27th 2020 11:42 am

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 12926762)
This, I think, is the real problem, these women were just taken of the plane, sent to a strange part of the airport and subjected to these examinations with no prior explanation as to why. Also, local women might not have been as upset as they are , in the main, their husband's property and wouldn't complain.

I just think that if that's the case it's a pretty shitty way of treating anyone. I can't even fathom how it would have happened to be taken off - they must have explained something, surely.

All very strange and very, very sad.

nonthaburi Oct 27th 2020 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by flares (Post 12926512)

Wouldn't happen now in the uk. They xray and let nature take its course. Unless your can be like this guy!

https://www-independent-co-uk.cdn.am...-a8244006.html

fth Oct 30th 2020 4:18 pm

The stories out of the Australian press are not good. They tried to subject a blind 73 year old woman to the test too but backed off. Another person “searched” was an employee of the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade. The Australian PM took 5 minutes of questions on this incident at a press conference a couple of days ago.

The added problem is that due to the arrival caps, many of those on the flight to Australia have been trying to get a flight home for months and were desperate not to miss the flight.

The incident is unique in that both the right wing and left wing press in Australia are agreed in disgust and won’t let this go in a hurry. To kick the boot in the transport union is also canvassing its members to stop handling Qatar Airways flights.