British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Doggies In Apartments (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/doggies-apartments-778401/)

mentalist Nov 22nd 2012 5:00 am

Doggies In Apartments

Personally I strongly believe that you should not keep a dog in an apartment, although I do note that Frasier's old man keeps his Jack Russell in one. What are your thoughts, not only on the fresh air and exercise aspect but also on their potential barking when left alone all day.

Meow Nov 22nd 2012 5:02 am

Re: Doggies In Apartments

Dogs should not be left alone all day. It's okay, especially with smaller dogs, if someone is around, and they get plenty of exercise. Harder with a larger dog and it's downright irresponsible to leave one alone all the time.

Dumbo Nov 22nd 2012 5:06 am

To be honest this is a tough call for me. I appreciate your point Meow, but given the choice between being locked up in an appartment with food and regular walkies, versus abandoned on the street or locked up in a dog pound, maybe even terminated, I think I know which I would prefer.

lanarkwitch Nov 22nd 2012 5:41 am

My dog at home was home alone for 8 hours, then spent about 6 running round the farm chasing cows everyday, to be honest I think he enjoyed the rest. It totally depends on the dog and what they are used to. I did at one time when he was very little have a lady who came at lunch time to let him out and he was never keen and she said she always had to wake him up when she arrived, if I was at home during the day I could clearly see I was getting in his way. As I said it depends on the dog. However dogs in apartments I think might be a little inconsiderate to other residents, but otherwise if furry 4 legs is used to it he won't care where he lives he'll just be glad to be loved and cared about

scrubbedexpat141 Nov 22nd 2012 5:52 am

Originally Posted by lanarkwitch (Post 10395639)
However dogs in apartments I think might be a little inconsiderate to other residents

Bingo.

A pal lives a few floors below in the same block, there's a dog on their floor and it's a ****ing loud, yappy rat type thing.

lanarkwitch Nov 22nd 2012 6:22 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10395650)
Bingo.

A pal lives a few floors below in the same block, there's a dog on their floor and it's a ****ing loud, yappy rat type thing.

Yeah I know what you mean, in our building there is a lady who has a gorgeous spaniel type puppy and he is sooo cute, but she is a bag or nerves with him as he's really friendly and keeps charging up to people and he barks in the lift in the mornings when he's off for his walk, although the lady herself is from somewhere around the GCC she is very aware of peoples reactions and the fact that it could be annoying for non dog lovers.

That said the happy driller that lives upstairs from us has no concern for anyone when he's plugged in at 2am doing god knows what:confused:

scrubbedexpat141 Nov 22nd 2012 6:27 am

Originally Posted by lanarkwitch (Post 10395677)
That said the happy driller that lives upstairs from us has no concern for anyone when he's plugged in at 2am doing god knows what:confused:

Oh sweet lord I have one of them. 10/11pm and it's going off.

What the **** are you doing?

lanarkwitch Nov 22nd 2012 6:30 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10395681)
Oh sweet lord I have one of them. 10/11pm and it's going off.

What the **** are you doing?

He's been a little quieter lately, Mr Lanark reckons there is actually no wall left to drill, assume he will be moving soon, to a fresh canvas

scrubbedexpat141 Nov 22nd 2012 6:34 am

Originally Posted by lanarkwitch (Post 10395685)
He's been a little quieter lately, Mr Lanark reckons there is actually no wall left to drill, assume he will be moving soon, to a fresh canvas

I sometimes wander round trying to find the noise. Never confident enough of where it's coming from to knock on the door.

lanarkwitch Nov 22nd 2012 6:38 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10395691)
I sometimes wander round trying to find the noise. Never confident enough of where it's coming from to knock on the door.

LOL yes you could have a very awkward moment on your hands there if you rang the wrong doorbell :eek:

Bahtatboy Nov 22nd 2012 7:03 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10395691)

I'm not sure whether the noises which occassionally emanate from next door are screams of pain or pleasure. Whichever it is, its intense. Mind you, I haven't seen the lady of the house recently, and the husband's a right twat...makes me wonder.

Boomhauer Nov 22nd 2012 7:15 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10395606)
Dogs should not be left alone all day. It's okay, especially with smaller dogs, if someone is around, and they get plenty of exercise. Harder with a larger dog and it's downright irresponsible to leave one alone all the time.

What about a cat for company?
Few months back my sis got a Labrador Retriever puppy. Owing to she and her husband working, the dog (less than a year old) is alone during the day with only my cat for company.

lanarkwitch Nov 22nd 2012 7:33 am

Originally Posted by Boomhauer (Post 10395756)
What about a cat for company?
Few months back my sis got a Labrador Retriever puppy. Owing to she and her husband working, the dog (less than a year old) is alone during the day with only my cat for company.

My dog and cat were the best of friends and kept each other entertained regularly, he was a lab retriever as well, the cat was the boss though

Blue Cat Nov 22nd 2012 7:37 am

I think it depends on the dog at the end of the day, it can be inconvenient for other tennants if is yappy like Scamp said. But what is the real difference between a dog lying on the floor in an apartment over lying on the floor in a villa, it's the walks that are important and companionship.

Meow Nov 22nd 2012 7:40 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 10395792)
I think it depends on the dog at the end of the day, it can be inconvenient for other tennants if is yappy like Scamp said. But what is the real difference between a dog lying on the floor in an apartment over lying on the floor in a villa, it's the walks that are important and companionship.

As I said earlier, the dog should not be left alone all day. A dog left alone for 10 hours is mostly an unhappy animal - no matter where it is.

On a separate note, what's with the baby talk from posters? Doggies, walkies?