Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Dog sentenced to be stoned to death

Dog sentenced to be stoned to death

Old Jun 18th 2011, 10:52 am
  #1  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
Thread Starter
 
kittycat1's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Dubai
Posts: 5,965
kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dog sentenced to be stoned to death

Luckily the dog in question has escaped... it is thought he was a reincarnated lawyer.. and the stoning was to be carried out by local children

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-13819764
kittycat1 is offline  
Old Jun 18th 2011, 10:57 am
  #2  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
OleJanx's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Windscale....
Posts: 5,712
OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dog sentenced to be stoned to death

Ho hum....
OleJanx is offline  
Old Jun 18th 2011, 12:21 pm
  #3  
BE Forum Addict
 
Boomhauer's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,422
Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dog sentenced to be stoned to death

I just saw that and not only is it barbaric but to get children to do it is even worse. Kids are impressionable and kids who grow up abusing animals have a much higher likelyhood of abusing people later on.
Boomhauer is offline  
Old Jun 18th 2011, 2:52 pm
  #4  
BE Forum Addict
 
nottmbantam's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Riyadh.
Posts: 1,899
nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dog sentenced to be stoned to death

If it *IS* a re-incarnated lawyer, I'd be first in the queue....
nottmbantam is offline  
Old Jun 18th 2011, 3:06 pm
  #5  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
OleJanx's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Windscale....
Posts: 5,712
OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dog sentenced to be stoned to death

Originally Posted by nottmbantam View Post
If it *IS* a re-incarnated lawyer, I'd be first in the queue....
Reminds me of the old joke: Why have they started using lawyers instead of laboratory rats? Because Lawyers breed prolifically, and absolutely nobody cares about their welfare...
OleJanx is offline  
Old Jun 19th 2011, 4:32 am
  #6  
BE Forum Addict
 
Tockalosh's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Up on the Ranches not down on the Springs
Posts: 2,109
Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dog sentenced to be stoned to death

So Jews and the poor souls from Harlepool share a defective gene it seems
Tockalosh is offline  
Old Jun 19th 2011, 5:22 am
  #7  
MODERATOR
 
Norm_uk's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Dubai
Posts: 6,265
Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dog sentenced to be stoned to death

Originally Posted by Boomhauer View Post
I just saw that and not only is it barbaric but to get children to do it is even worse. Kids are impressionable and kids who grow up abusing animals have a much higher likelyhood of abusing people later on.
It's silly not barbaric. It highlights how ridiculous some forms of Orthodox Judaism are. In any case most Israelis are not even religious and look down on these Orthodox buggers the same way we look down on chavs in the UK hehe.

Barbaric is when they do this to human beings for adultery and blasphemy - which is pretty much the rule of law in a number of countries.

And to be fair, throwing stones at lawyers isn't that bad

N.
Norm_uk is offline  
Old Jun 19th 2011, 5:25 am
  #8  
MODERATOR
 
Norm_uk's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Dubai
Posts: 6,265
Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dog sentenced to be stoned to death

Originally Posted by Tockalosh View Post
So Jews and the poor souls from Harlepool share a defective gene it seems
Give me Jews and people from "Harlepool" over Afghans, Pakistani tribal types, Saudis and Iranian Clerics any day of the week.

N.
Norm_uk is offline  
Old Jun 19th 2011, 5:55 am
  #9  
BE Forum Addict
 
Boomhauer's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,422
Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dog sentenced to be stoned to death

Originally Posted by Norm_uk View Post
It's silly not barbaric. It highlights how ridiculous some forms of Orthodox Judaism are. In any case most Israelis are not even religious and look down on these Orthodox buggers the same way we look down on chavs in the UK hehe.

Barbaric is when they do this to human beings for adultery and blasphemy - which is pretty much the rule of law in a number of countries.

And to be fair, throwing stones at lawyers isn't that bad

N.
I attach the barbaric label to cruelty towards animals too. The term "Silly" underscores the associated brutality. When a practice crosses over into cruelty, it is far removed from just being silly .

Spanish Bull fighting is barbaric but the Spanish Fire Bull festival is worse. Unlike this case of stoning, the Toro De Fuego is annual . The number of towns across Spain practicing it may have declined due to animal rights activist pressure.

If people are unaware of the Fire Bull festival, you will be shocked that such a barbaric practice takes place today.
http://www.faace.co.uk/express.htm

Many thousands of animals are tormented and killed at local fiestas held across Spain every year. At fire bull fiestas, bulls have flaming torches attached to their horns and are goaded as they attempt to escape the flames licking above their heads.
Unshackled once the torches above its head are ablaze, the bull dashes about the square trying to avoid roaring bonfires, as spectators rush in, trying to goad it. The animal tosses its head again and again, as it turns in one direction then the next, trying desperately to escape the fire burning above its head. As the fire burns, drops of the flammable liquid fall on to the head and body of the animal and loud firecrackers explode above the square. These events can last for up to 40 minutes.
http://www.hsi.org/issues/bullfighti...l_fiestas.html

Last edited by Boomhauer; Jun 19th 2011 at 5:59 am.
Boomhauer is offline  
Old Jun 19th 2011, 8:38 am
  #10  
MODERATOR
 
Norm_uk's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Dubai
Posts: 6,265
Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dog sentenced to be stoned to death

Originally Posted by Boomhauer View Post
I attach the barbaric label to cruelty towards animals too. The term "Silly" underscores the associated brutality. When a practice crosses over into cruelty, it is far removed from just being silly .

Spanish Bull fighting is barbaric but the Spanish Fire Bull festival is worse. Unlike this case of stoning, the Toro De Fuego is annual . The number of towns across Spain practicing it may have declined due to animal rights activist pressure.

If people are unaware of the Fire Bull festival, you will be shocked that such a barbaric practice takes place today.
http://www.faace.co.uk/express.htm


http://www.hsi.org/issues/bullfighti...l_fiestas.html
Relax, this sentence has not even been carried out and might invite Israeli police officers to the scene on charges of animal cruelty if it was carried out...

Funny how there are stonings against human beings pretty much on a monthly basis in places like Iran, Afghanistan and Pakistan etc but a ruling by a bunch of fringe Rabbis in a mostly secular country that was not carried out hits the news...

We have people who deliberately kill babies in their crib stating they have no regrets http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/...o_regrets.html but stoning dogs seems to be more newsworthy...

N.
Norm_uk is offline  
Old Jun 19th 2011, 9:07 am
  #11  
BE Forum Addict
 
nottmbantam's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Riyadh.
Posts: 1,899
nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dog sentenced to be stoned to death

Originally Posted by Norm_uk View Post
Relax, this sentence has not even been carried out and might invite Israeli police officers to the scene on charges of animal cruelty if it was carried out...

Funny how there are stonings against human beings pretty much on a monthly basis in places like Iran, Afghanistan and Pakistan etc but a ruling by a bunch of fringe Rabbis in a mostly secular country that was not carried out hits the news...

We have people who deliberately kill babies in their crib stating they have no regrets http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/...o_regrets.html but stoning dogs seems to be more newsworthy...

N.
Agreed.

I think it kind of echoes the typical British mentality, and that we are labelled as a nation of animal lovers. Any sign of cruelty to animals ,and we're shouting from the soap box, speaking of inhumanity, cruelty and barbarism.

However, we have thousands of kids at risk in our own country, living in poverty, living with abusive carers who are either alcoholics or drug abusers and in turn abuse / neglect their kids, and yet we turn a blind eye to it all. Ask any Inner City Children Looked After Service what their work load is like.

It takes high profile cases like Baby P and the death of Victoria Climbie to make us realise these REAL cases of inhumanity, cruelty and barbarism are actually taking place right under our noses. And what do we do about it?
nottmbantam is offline  
Old Jun 19th 2011, 9:16 am
  #12  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,132
jackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Dog sentenced to be stoned to death

Originally Posted by nottmbantam View Post
Agreed.

I think it kind of echoes the typical British mentality, and that we are labelled as a nation of animal lovers. Any sign of cruelty to animals ,and we're shouting from the soap box, speaking of inhumanity, cruelty and barbarism.

However, we have thousands of kids at risk in our own country, living in poverty, living with abusive carers who are either alcoholics or drug abusers and in turn abuse / neglect their kids, and yet we turn a blind eye to it all. Ask any Inner City Children Looked After Service what their work load is like.

It takes high profile cases like Baby P and the death of Victoria Climbie to make us realise these REAL cases of inhumanity, cruelty and barbarism are actually taking place right under our noses. And what do we do about it?
Probably why there is a 'Royal Society' for the protection of animals, and only a 'National Society' for children!

Last edited by jackthehat; Jun 19th 2011 at 10:01 am. Reason: Spolling
jackthehat is offline  
Old Jun 19th 2011, 9:47 am
  #13  
MODERATOR
 
Norm_uk's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Dubai
Posts: 6,265
Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dog sentenced to be stoned to death

Originally Posted by jackthehat View Post
Probably whey there is a 'Royal Society' for the protection of animals, and only a 'National Society' for children!
Increasingly we are a nation of animal lovers...we even ridiculously assert the concept of "animal rights". Rights mean responsibility - animals by definition cannot be responsible.

What should just be clear rules about how to treat animals humanely and conserve species has become almost religious in it's zeal. We have people willing to destroy property and make death threats against meat eaters and medical science facilities.

It would be nice if some of that passion was turned towards caring for children, creating stable communities that are not divided along religious or ethnic lines and working hard to make the economy better.

But people are hard to love. They are not simple and easy like cats and dogs. I think a society that loves pets more than people is doomed...

N.
Norm_uk is offline  
Old Jun 19th 2011, 9:54 am
  #14  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
Thread Starter
 
kittycat1's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Dubai
Posts: 5,965
kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dog sentenced to be stoned to death

But people are hard to love. They are not simple and easy like cats and dogs. I think a society that loves pets more than people is doomed...
Your in a joyful mood today Norm
kittycat1 is offline  
Old Jun 19th 2011, 10:48 am
  #15  
MODERATOR
 
Norm_uk's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Dubai
Posts: 6,265
Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dog sentenced to be stoned to death

Originally Posted by kittycat1 View Post
Your in a joyful mood today Norm
It's because I am suffering from cheeseburger withdrawal symptoms

N.
Norm_uk is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.