British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Dog sentenced to be stoned to death (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/dog-sentenced-stoned-death-721428/)

kittycat1 Jun 18th 2011 10:52 am

Dog sentenced to be stoned to death

Luckily the dog in question has escaped... it is thought he was a reincarnated lawyer.. and the stoning was to be carried out by local children

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-13819764

OleJanx Jun 18th 2011 10:57 am

Re: Dog sentenced to be stoned to death

Ho hum....:(

Boomhauer Jun 18th 2011 12:21 pm

I just saw that and not only is it barbaric but to get children to do it is even worse. Kids are impressionable and kids who grow up abusing animals have a much higher likelyhood of abusing people later on.

nottmbantam Jun 18th 2011 2:52 pm

If it *IS* a re-incarnated lawyer, I'd be first in the queue....

OleJanx Jun 18th 2011 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by nottmbantam (Post 9441044)
If it *IS* a re-incarnated lawyer, I'd be first in the queue....

Reminds me of the old joke: Why have they started using lawyers instead of laboratory rats? Because Lawyers breed prolifically, and absolutely nobody cares about their welfare...:lol:

Tockalosh Jun 19th 2011 4:32 am

So Jews and the poor souls from Harlepool share a defective gene it seems

Norm_uk Jun 19th 2011 5:22 am

Originally Posted by Boomhauer (Post 9440873)
I just saw that and not only is it barbaric but to get children to do it is even worse. Kids are impressionable and kids who grow up abusing animals have a much higher likelyhood of abusing people later on.

It's silly not barbaric. It highlights how ridiculous some forms of Orthodox Judaism are. In any case most Israelis are not even religious and look down on these Orthodox buggers the same way we look down on chavs in the UK hehe.

Barbaric is when they do this to human beings for adultery and blasphemy - which is pretty much the rule of law in a number of countries.

And to be fair, throwing stones at lawyers isn't that bad :rofl:

N.

Norm_uk Jun 19th 2011 5:25 am

Originally Posted by Tockalosh (Post 9441870)
So Jews and the poor souls from Harlepool share a defective gene it seems

Give me Jews and people from "Harlepool" over Afghans, Pakistani tribal types, Saudis and Iranian Clerics any day of the week.

N.

Boomhauer Jun 19th 2011 5:55 am

Originally Posted by Norm_uk (Post 9441918)
It's silly not barbaric. It highlights how ridiculous some forms of Orthodox Judaism are. In any case most Israelis are not even religious and look down on these Orthodox buggers the same way we look down on chavs in the UK hehe.

Barbaric is when they do this to human beings for adultery and blasphemy - which is pretty much the rule of law in a number of countries.

And to be fair, throwing stones at lawyers isn't that bad :rofl:

N.

I attach the barbaric label to cruelty towards animals too. The term "Silly" underscores the associated brutality. When a practice crosses over into cruelty, it is far removed from just being silly .

Spanish Bull fighting is barbaric but the Spanish Fire Bull festival is worse. Unlike this case of stoning, the Toro De Fuego is annual . The number of towns across Spain practicing it may have declined due to animal rights activist pressure.

If people are unaware of the Fire Bull festival, you will be shocked that such a barbaric practice takes place today.
http://www.faace.co.uk/express.htm

Many thousands of animals are tormented and killed at local fiestas held across Spain every year. At fire bull fiestas, bulls have flaming torches attached to their horns and are goaded as they attempt to escape the flames licking above their heads.

Unshackled once the torches above its head are ablaze, the bull dashes about the square trying to avoid roaring bonfires, as spectators rush in, trying to goad it. The animal tosses its head again and again, as it turns in one direction then the next, trying desperately to escape the fire burning above its head. As the fire burns, drops of the flammable liquid fall on to the head and body of the animal and loud firecrackers explode above the square. These events can last for up to 40 minutes.
http://www.hsi.org/issues/bullfighti...l_fiestas.html

Norm_uk Jun 19th 2011 8:38 am

Originally Posted by Boomhauer (Post 9441958)
I attach the barbaric label to cruelty towards animals too. The term "Silly" underscores the associated brutality. When a practice crosses over into cruelty, it is far removed from just being silly .

Spanish Bull fighting is barbaric but the Spanish Fire Bull festival is worse. Unlike this case of stoning, the Toro De Fuego is annual . The number of towns across Spain practicing it may have declined due to animal rights activist pressure.

If people are unaware of the Fire Bull festival, you will be shocked that such a barbaric practice takes place today.
http://www.faace.co.uk/express.htm

http://www.hsi.org/issues/bullfighti...l_fiestas.html

Relax, this sentence has not even been carried out and might invite Israeli police officers to the scene on charges of animal cruelty if it was carried out...

Funny how there are stonings against human beings pretty much on a monthly basis in places like Iran, Afghanistan and Pakistan etc but a ruling by a bunch of fringe Rabbis in a mostly secular country that was not carried out hits the news...

We have people who deliberately kill babies in their crib stating they have no regrets http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/...o_regrets.html but stoning dogs seems to be more newsworthy...

N.

nottmbantam Jun 19th 2011 9:07 am

Originally Posted by Norm_uk (Post 9442142)
Relax, this sentence has not even been carried out and might invite Israeli police officers to the scene on charges of animal cruelty if it was carried out...

Funny how there are stonings against human beings pretty much on a monthly basis in places like Iran, Afghanistan and Pakistan etc but a ruling by a bunch of fringe Rabbis in a mostly secular country that was not carried out hits the news...

We have people who deliberately kill babies in their crib stating they have no regrets http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/...o_regrets.html but stoning dogs seems to be more newsworthy...

N.

Agreed.

I think it kind of echoes the typical British mentality, and that we are labelled as a nation of animal lovers. Any sign of cruelty to animals ,and we're shouting from the soap box, speaking of inhumanity, cruelty and barbarism.

However, we have thousands of kids at risk in our own country, living in poverty, living with abusive carers who are either alcoholics or drug abusers and in turn abuse / neglect their kids, and yet we turn a blind eye to it all. Ask any Inner City Children Looked After Service what their work load is like.

It takes high profile cases like Baby P and the death of Victoria Climbie to make us realise these REAL cases of inhumanity, cruelty and barbarism are actually taking place right under our noses. And what do we do about it?

jackthehat Jun 19th 2011 9:16 am

Originally Posted by nottmbantam (Post 9442208)
Agreed.

I think it kind of echoes the typical British mentality, and that we are labelled as a nation of animal lovers. Any sign of cruelty to animals ,and we're shouting from the soap box, speaking of inhumanity, cruelty and barbarism.

However, we have thousands of kids at risk in our own country, living in poverty, living with abusive carers who are either alcoholics or drug abusers and in turn abuse / neglect their kids, and yet we turn a blind eye to it all. Ask any Inner City Children Looked After Service what their work load is like.

It takes high profile cases like Baby P and the death of Victoria Climbie to make us realise these REAL cases of inhumanity, cruelty and barbarism are actually taking place right under our noses. And what do we do about it?

Probably why there is a 'Royal Society' for the protection of animals, and only a 'National Society' for children!

Norm_uk Jun 19th 2011 9:47 am

Originally Posted by jackthehat (Post 9442224)
Probably whey there is a 'Royal Society' for the protection of animals, and only a 'National Society' for children!

Increasingly we are a nation of animal lovers...we even ridiculously assert the concept of "animal rights". Rights mean responsibility - animals by definition cannot be responsible.

What should just be clear rules about how to treat animals humanely and conserve species has become almost religious in it's zeal. We have people willing to destroy property and make death threats against meat eaters and medical science facilities.

It would be nice if some of that passion was turned towards caring for children, creating stable communities that are not divided along religious or ethnic lines and working hard to make the economy better.

But people are hard to love. They are not simple and easy like cats and dogs. I think a society that loves pets more than people is doomed...

N.

kittycat1 Jun 19th 2011 9:54 am

But people are hard to love. They are not simple and easy like cats and dogs. I think a society that loves pets more than people is doomed...
Your in a joyful mood today Norm :p

Norm_uk Jun 19th 2011 10:48 am

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 9442279)
Your in a joyful mood today Norm :p

It's because I am suffering from cheeseburger withdrawal symptoms :)

N.

kittycat1 Jun 19th 2011 11:07 am

wouldnt you rather have a veggie burger?

sherri Jun 19th 2011 11:37 am

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 9442346)
wouldnt you rather have a veggie burger?:sneaky:

Breaking News!!!!

Jerusalem rabbis 'condemn cat to death by stoning'

A Jewish rabbinical court condemned to death by stoning a stray cat it feared was the reincarnation of kittycat1 who insulted its meat-loving judges, reports say.....

kittycat1 Jun 19th 2011 11:38 am

Ill scratch your eyes out first! :p

sherri Jun 19th 2011 11:40 am

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 9442386)
Ill scratch your eyes out first! :p

:D

irich Jun 19th 2011 12:12 pm

It would be much more humane if they threw sticks. The dog would have a great time.

kittycat1 Jun 19th 2011 12:35 pm

:rofl: @ irich

Charismatic Jun 19th 2011 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by Norm_uk (Post 9442142)

We have people who deliberately kill babies in their crib stating they have no regrets but stoning dogs seems to be more newsworthy...

N.

Well said :thumbup:. I thought that the Jewish religious courts could only rule on marraige type stuff between Jews anyway unless it's important in which case it goes to a regular secular court (keep the religious idiots away from making a real mess ;)).

littlejimmy Jun 19th 2011 5:06 pm

It was entirely predictable who would be on here saying, "yeah, but the Muslims are worse!":D

jackthehat Jun 19th 2011 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by littlejimmy (Post 9442730)
It was entirely predictable who would be on here saying, "yeah, but the Muslims are worse!":D

Muslins? - Schmuzlims? - Should I Vorry?

sherri Jun 19th 2011 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by jackthehat (Post 9442735)
Muslins? - Schmuzlims? - Should I Vorry?

Yeish, you sudh be schumbag :frown:,
Alaikum Salaam,
Sheikh Mohammed

:p

jackthehat Jun 19th 2011 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by sherri (Post 9442805)
Yeish, you sudh be schumbag :frown:,
Alaikum Salaam,
Sheikh Mohammed

:p

Just like I said, should I Worry? - Sheikh who?

sherri Jun 19th 2011 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by jackthehat (Post 9442812)
Just like I said, should I Worry? - Sheikh who?

:thumbup:

OleJanx Jun 19th 2011 6:15 pm

Meshuggers!:D

jackthehat Jun 19th 2011 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by OleJanx (Post 9442829)
Meshuggers!:D

Only hope he comes to arrest me in the Volvo. I could never be seen dead in a Mercedes!

OleJanx Jun 19th 2011 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by jackthehat (Post 9442832)
Only hope he comes to arrest me in the Volvo. I could never be seen dead in a Mercedes!

Oy Vey! A Mercedes would nedder do!:lol:

jackthehat Jun 19th 2011 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by OleJanx (Post 9442849)
Oy Vey! A Mercedes would nedder do!:lol:

Oy, Oy, Oy, My mother is 85 already, she has forgiven me for not marrying Whoopie Goldberg, despite the fact that her father was a gynaecologist, and the good name,

My Life, an 'Ologist!' (Mother did not go for the 'Black' thing!)

Anyway, dad died a few years ago and left me the Volvo 240 in his will. Does anyone know if Volvo will still repair the car under Warranty? - 1973 on an 'M' Plate? - Drives like new!

OleJanx Jun 19th 2011 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by jackthehat (Post 9442867)
Oy, Oy, Oy, My mother is 85 already, she has forgiven me for not marrying Whoopie Goldberg, despite the fact that her father was a gynaecologist, and the good name,

My Life, an 'Ologist!' (Mother did not go for the 'Black' thing!)

Anyway, dad died a few years ago and left me the Volvo 240 in his will. Does anyone know if Volvo will still repair the car under Warranty? - 1973 on an 'M' Plate? - Drives like new!

They're made in Gothenberg, aren't they? Bound to be some family member who can help with the life time warranty!:D

seven seas Jun 19th 2011 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 9440773)
Luckily the dog in question has escaped... it is thought he was a reincarnated lawyer.. and the stoning was to be carried out by local children

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-13819764

in case nobody's noticed, they have stolen an entire country because Bog promised it to them and have ethnically cleansed it. Killing a dog isn't such a big deal by comparison. It is only to be expected from a country based on myth about an old guy with a white beard who's jealous.

Norm_uk Jun 20th 2011 7:48 am

Originally Posted by Charismatic (Post 9442486)
Well said :thumbup:. I thought that the Jewish religious courts could only rule on marraige type stuff between Jews anyway unless it's important in which case it goes to a regular secular court (keep the religious idiots away from making a real mess ;)).

I think Israel has a lot of trouble reigning in it's ultra-orthodox and does a good job of it for the most part. A lot better than some of it's neighbours attempts to reign in the ultra-religions.

I completely agree secularism is the only real way. Religious and non-religious people alike cannot be equal and free unless their rulers adhere to strict impartiality.

N.

Norm_uk Jun 20th 2011 3:47 pm

Seems it didn't happen...the paper that reported it has even issued an apology.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-13838347

Still I'll bet fewer people will read and remember that than who read the original report.

N.

OleJanx Jun 20th 2011 3:50 pm

The original report, unfortunately, is much more alarmist, whatever you want to call it. The follow up, I'm afraid, is nothing like as sensationalist.
That, sadly, seems to be the world works.:(

littlejimmy Jun 20th 2011 5:17 pm

I'm sure there will be many who will use their usual confirmation bias and dismiss things like this as alarmist yet treat similar things about other religions as the gospel truth. And vice-versa...

OleJanx Jun 20th 2011 5:24 pm

Is "Gospel" the wisest choice of words?:D

littlejimmy Jun 20th 2011 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by OleJanx (Post 9444831)
Is "Gospel" the wisest choice of words?:D

;)

OleJanx Jun 20th 2011 5:53 pm

Sorry, it was just too good an opportunity to miss... Please take it in good humour- life is to short to take seriously!:)