British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   The dog is dead (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/dog-dead-640432/)

seven seas Nov 13th 2009 2:54 am

The dog is dead

The cartoon dog,
in the cartoon,

was swallowed up by the cartoon waters.

Big deal or storm in a teacup?

TGFKASE Nov 13th 2009 5:09 am

Re: The dog is dead

Originally Posted by seven seas (Post 8095916)
The cartoon dog,
in the cartoon,

If I had the SLIGHTEST idea of WTF you were on about, I may be able to comment....

MacScot Nov 13th 2009 8:38 am

The cartoon dog,
in the cartoon,

...did it drown then ?

commander Nov 13th 2009 8:52 am

more than likely on another level of intellect that us thicko's dont understand:D

spart Nov 13th 2009 10:12 am

The cartoon dog,
in the cartoon,

Proof positive (not that it was required) that you are a muppet...

seven seas Nov 13th 2009 1:46 pm

Whereas you don't need to rpove that you are a ****, Spart. It shows.

I am talking about the No CO2 ads that have been aired recently.
Hudreds of people complpained to the ASA.

MacScot Nov 13th 2009 3:47 pm

He's taking about the "scaremongering" British climate-change advertisement, which is drawing a large number of complaints. It shows a father reading his daughter a bedtime story in which puppies drown and rabbits are left without water to drink because of rising CO2 levels.

Pseudscience shouldn't be published... a lot of nonsense is spouted in the ad. :frown:

seven seas Nov 13th 2009 5:22 pm

the science/pseudoscience aspect is not what i'm interested in, and I think most will admit that it's a bit beyond their intellectual capacity to handle such stuff.

I'm interested in the dog dying/watershed aspect.

spart Nov 14th 2009 5:57 am

Originally Posted by seven seas (Post 8097152)
Whereas you don't need to rpove that you are a ****, Spart. It shows.

Mmm...didn't expect much else in the way of a reply from you. Personal and vitriolic. Well done petal.

seven seas Nov 14th 2009 8:06 am

OK, let's drop it then.

What do you reckon?

Jeeper Nov 14th 2009 11:21 am

There won't be a happy ending for humanity. How could there be?

Meow Nov 14th 2009 12:21 pm

So seven seas started a thread about an advert on British TV? When this is a forum for people who live in the ME?

Not as bright as he claims then... :rolleyes:

-

seven seas Nov 14th 2009 1:19 pm

My grandmother would say: Either contribute to the discussion or shut the **** up.

But I'm just gonna ignore bitchy remarks, especially when they are designed to mask ignorance.

Meow Nov 15th 2009 6:45 am

Originally Posted by seven seas (Post 8098531)
My grandmother would say: Either contribute to the discussion or shut the **** up.

But I'm just gonna ignore bitchy remarks, especially when they are designed to mask ignorance.

Nice mouth on your grandmother. I am sure you are no more than 18 years old, judging by your behaviour on this board.

-

Blue Cat Nov 15th 2009 7:29 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 8099301)
Nice mouth on your grandmother. I am sure you are no more than 18 years old, judging by your behaviour on this board.

-

18, more like 12

*sits back and waits for abuse*

B Bear Nov 15th 2009 7:32 am

Joseph Goebbels would have liked that one - little blonde girl being threatened by nasty thing in the clouds with black teeth......

........now here comes the government to save you!

Meow Nov 15th 2009 8:31 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 8099322)
18, more like 12

*sits back and waits for abuse*

You'll have to wait until the end of the school day.

-

MacScot Nov 15th 2009 10:08 am

Originally Posted by seven seas (Post 8097444)
the science/pseudoscience aspect is not what i'm interested in, and I think most will admit that it's a bit beyond their intellectual capacity to handle such stuff.

I'm interested in the dog dying/watershed aspect.

It's not the 'watershed' or catchment aspect (which essentially doesn't change) that is important but a river's floodplain. Too many people live within the floodplains of rivers and so may expect more frequent flooding and expansive areas of flood-inundated riparian land, if climate change indeed occurs. This can be solved by adapting to climate change and moving people away (in the longer term) from low-lying coastal areas and/or further upslope from river floodplains. Hence, no need for dogs to 'die' in the future...:)

shiva Nov 15th 2009 10:33 am

Originally Posted by MacScot (Post 8099480)
It's not the 'watershed' or catchment aspect (which essentially doesn't change) that is important but a river's floodplain. Too many people live within the floodplains of rivers and so may expect more frequent flooding and expansive areas of flood-inundated riparian land, if climate change indeed occurs. This can be solved by adapting to climate change and moving people away (in the longer term) from low-lying coastal areas and/or further upslope from river floodplains. Hence, no need for dogs to 'die' in the future...:)

you mean would could remember the lessons of the last ten thousand years. IE you live on the nearest hill to a floodplain and use the floodplain as agricultural land as its the most fertile land and you dont get your house wet every winter! the ability of mankind to forget the lessons of the past never fails to amaze me

shakh your bootie Nov 15th 2009 10:35 am

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 8099504)
you mean would could remember the lessons of the last ten thousand years. IE you live on the nearest hill to a floodplain and use the floodplain as agricultural land as its the most fertile land and you dont get your house wet every winter! the ability of mankind to forget the lessons of the past never fails to amaze me

Sure, but it's not just stupidity is it? I wonder how many poverty-stricken residents of New Orleans wouldn't just love to relocate had they money and choices?

MacScot Nov 15th 2009 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie (Post 8099508)
Sure, but it's not just stupidity is it? I wonder how many poverty-stricken residents of New Orleans wouldn't just love to relocate had they money and choices?

If sea level rises are on the way, then the US Army Corps of Engineers has a huge job on its hands to raise and strengthen the artificial levees surrounding low-lying areas of New Orleans. They need to construct the types of dykes that the Dutch use when creating polders and reclaiming land, all of which are below sea level.

Much of the population of The Netherlands and of New Orleans live in areas below sea level, regardless of climate change and possible sea levels changes. They will always rely on engineering solutions and maintenance of existing levees/dykes; however, US Federal funding in the long term might opt for a relocation of people away from the low-lying parts of New Orleans...quite expensive but a solution nonetheless.

Most of the houses that I have seen in New Orleans' poorer suburbs are wooden constructions...so perhaps not too expensive to shift people into new housing areas?

dunroving Nov 15th 2009 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by MacScot (Post 8099480)

I don't think that is what SS meant by watershed(?) - isn't the issue that the ad was shown before the "watershed" time (9 pm) and contained images and ideas that were inappropriate for kids???

MacScot Nov 15th 2009 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 8099615)
I don't think that is what SS meant by watershed(?) - isn't the issue that the ad was shown before the "watershed" time (9 pm) and contained images and ideas that were inappropriate for kids???

Haha..didn't read it that way...you may well be right ! :thumbup:

shakh your bootie Nov 15th 2009 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by MacScot (Post 8099623)
Haha..didn't read it that way...you may well be right ! :thumbup:

I believe he is, but your post was infinitely more interesting.

seven seas Nov 15th 2009 3:42 pm

Holy ****, an actual discussion!!
But we can't exactly relocate Bangladesh.
It's not that easy, otherwise they would have done it years ago.

MacScot Nov 15th 2009 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by seven seas (Post 8099907)
Holy ****, an actual discussion!!
But we can't exactly relocate Bangladesh.
It's not that easy, otherwise they would have done it years ago.

Well, you started it...'tis your thread ! Though we strayed off topic :lol:

Bangladesh is such a poor country that is low lying, receives seasonal monsoonal flood waters from both the Ganges and the Brahmaputra iver, and the Ganges-Brahmaputra Delta is both eroding and land-forming (prograding) in different areas. The country doesn't have the financial or construction material resources for river channelisation or dyke construction.

Can only see a reduction in population and translocation of people from low-lying areas to higher ground, else encourage stilt housing within the delta. Though, it is likely that oil will be discovered offshore and exploited in the future to provide the necessary cash flow.

shiva Nov 15th 2009 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by MacScot (Post 8100097)
Well, you started it...'tis your thread ! Though we strayed off topic :lol:

Bangladesh is such a poor country that is low lying, receives seasonal monsoonal flood waters from both the Ganges and the Brahmaputra iver, and the Ganges-Brahmaputra Delta is both eroding and land-forming (prograding) in different areas. The country doesn't have the financial or construction material resources for river channelisation or dyke construction.

Can only see a reduction in population and translocation of people from low-lying areas to higher ground, else encourage stilt housing within the delta. Though, it is likely that oil will be discovered offshore and exploited in the future to provide the necessary cash flow.

besides people keep parking ****ing great boats on the beaches so they'll be just fine if they dont tear em apart.

on a serious note though i have always wondered why the lack of stilt housing in bangladesh...very curious as i have always thought its a blindingly obvious solution

shiva Nov 15th 2009 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by MacScot (Post 8099604)
If sea level rises are on the way, then the US Army Corps of Engineers has a huge job on its hands to raise and strengthen the artificial levees surrounding low-lying areas of New Orleans.

its my understanding that its all the us corp of engineers fault in the first place, after a severely botched attempt to alter the natural channels in the first place in the 30's.
rivers will go where they want and only an astronomical sum of money being spent continuously can even begin to hope to alter that fact and in the end the river will still win out.

Meow Nov 16th 2009 6:17 am

What a charmer seven seas is, and confused too. He sent me karma, but with a message to ****offanddie

-

Blue Cat Nov 16th 2009 6:18 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 8101289)
What a charmer seven seas is, and confused too. He sent me karma, but with a message to ****offanddie

-

that is a bannable offence, contact the Mods :(

Roadking Nov 16th 2009 6:23 am

-

Who is anddie?

I know, i know... He truly is a saddo!

commander Nov 16th 2009 7:33 am

-

really, he did the same to me, he called me a wanker...

out of order but i guess accurate..

Kim67 Nov 16th 2009 7:42 am

Originally Posted by commander (Post 8101418)
really, he did the same to me, he called me a wanker...

out of order but i guess accurate..

This is the problem with no road raging and drunken pub brawls in Dubai, he has to take out his aggression on faceless people on an internet forum. I think there should be a new law passed on Dubai that once a month expats can go scream obscenities from their car windows and stumble out of a pub throwing punches without fear of landing in the slammer.

Roadking Nov 16th 2009 8:43 am

Originally Posted by Kim67 (Post 8101430)
This is the problem with no road raging and drunken pub brawls in Dubai, he has to take out his aggression on faceless people on an internet forum. I think there should be a new law passed on Dubai that once a month expats can go scream obscenities from their car windows and stumble out of a pub throwing punches without fear of landing in the slammer.

Wot, you mean we can't???

seven seas Nov 16th 2009 11:10 am

Wow- my social skills are more such a fascinating topic to some sad people with worthless empty lives.....

Meanwhile, back in the real world:

I have a feeling all of Bangladesh is a big floodplain and no amount of stilt-house construction or temoprary dams can do much , even in the short-term.

We hear about Bangladesh because:
-the lingering effects of the media-attention caused by the visits of some pseudo-hippies after the disastrous invasion by Pakistan
-it is kinda near us
-there are millions of pepole there, many of whom die as a result of the floods. Other areas where there is coastal erosion and loss of wildlife don't get much attention. There's nobody there anyway, and certainly nobody to reoprt it. The old 'if a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there to hear it..' question makes no sense in Bangladesh because there is not a single square foot of land that's emtpy.

shiva Nov 16th 2009 11:19 am

Originally Posted by seven seas (Post 8101743)
Wow- my social skills are more such a fascinating topic to some sad people with worthless empty lives.....

Meanwhile, back in the real world:

I have a feeling all of Bangladesh is a big floodplain and no amount of stilt-house construction or temoprary dams can do much , even in the short-term.

We hear about Bangladesh because:
-the lingering effects of the media-attention caused by the visits of some pseudo-hippies after the disastrous invasion by Pakistan
-it is kinda near us
-there are millions of pepole there, many of whom die as a result of the floods. Other areas where there is coastal erosion and loss of wildlife don't get much attention. There's nobody there anyway, and certainly nobody to reoprt it. The old 'if a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there to hear it..' question makes no sense in Bangladesh because there is not a single square foot of land that's emtpy.

1) stilt housing is a permanent solution in many parts of the world and works pretty damn well.
2)some of us are fairly geo politically aware and as such need no media buzz to keep informed

seven seas Nov 16th 2009 12:09 pm

Wow, really?

stilt houses in the same conditions...?

I have a feeling that bangladesh has only been a semi-permanent floodplain for the past few years. Otherwise why would have so many people settled there?

shiva Nov 16th 2009 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by seven seas (Post 8101896)
Wow, really?

stilt houses in the same conditions...?

I have a feeling that bangladesh has only been a semi-permanent floodplain for the past few years. Otherwise why would have so many people settled there?

the country now known as bangladesh lies on a floodplain delta for the ganges and bramaputra, it is the largest delta in the world and is several thousand years old although the channels have changed numerous times the entire area exists solely as a floodplain delta. this is not a new problem. As to why so many people live there the answer lies very simply in the fact of people having too many children.

as for stilt houses, yes they are quite coomon in indonesia, the phillipines, malaysia etc, in the past they were also quite common in europe, scotland had its crannogs for example

seven seas Nov 16th 2009 12:47 pm

so the increased birthrate, is it due to a spike in sexual apeal of the Bengali male/female?

Or improved fertility/life expectancy /live birthweights thanks to the availability fo medicine and know-how?

I still can't understand why they don't just do the same as they do in the countries you mentioned....

or what the dog has to do with it all...