British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Does Speed Alone Kill? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/does-speed-alone-kill-583548/)

Bison Jan 12th 2009 6:23 am

Does Speed Alone Kill?

Ok, so we have had a few discussions on this subject with mixed reaction.

I have decided to get a better picture of peoples opinions and thoughts on this subject, therefore a think a pole is a good way to measure this.

Before voting, maybe do some research on the subject, many argue that speed doesn't kill and have the view that you can drive fast at a safe speed. Well these people agree that a high speed crash can be more severe than a low speed one, is it the speed that causes the crashes, in most cases, speed just makes the crash more severe but isn't necessarily the cause (or sole cause) of the crash, there are usually many other factors involved, such as the mechanical condition of the car, the driving ability of the driver, the weather conditions, road lighting, driver error, other road users etc.

Generally research around the world shows that speed 'alone' doesn't kill and it is the word 'alone' that is important here.

I guess this very research has led to Swindon Council removing all the speed cameras in the county as it hasn't reduced the number of accidents, but increased them.

Bison

commander Jan 12th 2009 6:24 am

Re: Does Speed Alone Kill?

bison, not again.........:rofl::rofl:

MrsHaps Jan 12th 2009 6:24 am

Speed does kill and yes speed alone can kill....

Whatelse do you need to know....

just slow down and stick to the speed limits then you cant be at fault, unless of course you are an arsehole driver that sits on someones tail to get one car infront....

shiva Jan 12th 2009 6:27 am

no you right, speed doesnt kill.
Its the ****ing idiots who speed that kill

Bison Jan 12th 2009 6:30 am

Speed does kill and yes speed alone can kill....
Prove it!!!

admon Jan 12th 2009 6:31 am

i'd have thought you would need to eat a good few ounces before it can kill you..

admon Jan 12th 2009 6:33 am

an increase in speed decreases the tolerance level in which death can be avoided.

MrsHaps Jan 12th 2009 6:35 am

honey you are an arse .... if you truly believe it does not kill, speed away! Be sure you never kill one of my family with your speeding because i asure you, i will come after you and cut you into pieces, slowly... :sneaky:

Bison Jan 12th 2009 6:37 am

An interesting piece from safespeed.co.uk which actually gives proof that speed does not kill.

http://www.safespeed.org.uk/proof.html

So there it is, you can't argue with the figures!

Bison

admon Jan 12th 2009 6:37 am

Originally Posted by MrsHaps (Post 7155083)
honey you are an arse .... if you truly believe it does not kill, speed away! Be sure you never kill one of my family with your speeding because i asure you, i will come after you and cut you into pieces, slowly... :sneaky:

watch out bison, you have been warned..

rowell Jan 12th 2009 6:39 am

Whether speed alone kills or not isn't the issue, the issue is that there are speed limits, whether they right or wrong in ones opinion is of no consequence, they are there then that is the law. If you break the law then you deserve whatever the punishment is.
You say you drive in another topic at 140kph as that is what you can get away with, what if the settings on those cameras were suddenly set at 120kph, would you feel agrieved because they changed the settings? I think you personally would but you shouldn't.
You deserve everything you get, lets just hope that in the process you never hurt anyone else.

admon Jan 12th 2009 6:40 am

ok bison.

2 questions:

1. I am travelling in my 4wd at 2mph and you are standing in the middle of the road. I hit you in my car, braking immediately, as soon as I make contact with you. What do you think your resulting injuries would be?

2. I am travelling in my 4wd at 110mph and you are standing in the middle of the road. I hit you in my car, braking immediately, as soon as I make contact with you. What do you think your resulting injuries would be?

lionheart Jan 12th 2009 6:45 am

Originally Posted by Bison (Post 7155086)
An interesting piece from safespeed.co.uk which actually gives proof that speed does not kill.

http://www.safespeed.org.uk/proof.html

So there it is, you can't argue with the figures!

Bison

What a complete load of bollocks. That article talks about the effect of driving more than 30mph on a pedestrian in the UK. We are talking here about idiots driving at more than 120kph on roads in the UAE where the majority of drivers are either inexperienced or distracted or both. What you seem to forget is that you may be able to control your vehicle safely at relatively high speeds but the guy driving 18 hours a day in his taxi or minibus carrying labourers to/from work is unlikely to be able to react swiftly enough when you come rushing up behind him at high speed. Think of others!:curse:

MrsHaps Jan 12th 2009 6:49 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 7155107)
What a complete load of bollocks. That article talks about the effect of driving more than 30mph on a pedestrian in the UK. We are talking here about idiots driving at more than 120kph on roads in the UAE where the majority of drivers are either inexperienced or distracted or both. What you seem to forget is that you may be able to control your vehicle safely at relatively high speeds but the guy driving 18 hours a day in his taxi or minibus carrying labourers to/from work is unlikely to be able to react swiftly enough when you come rushing up behind him at high speed. Think of others!:curse:

this my point - so many drivers do not strap their kids in.... I dont want the death of their kid on my mind, first because i am speed and second because the idiot didnt strap his kid in... jesus can you imagine the guilt you would feel and you would say if only i had been driving at 120 and trust me if you are driving faster than that you will be blamed for the death, regardless if the guy pulls out in front of you because he doesnt realise you were coming up behind him so fast!!!

there are enough idiots on the road, you dont need to add to them. :(

Bison Jan 12th 2009 6:51 am

ok bison.

2 questions:

1. I am travelling in my 4wd at 2mph and you are standing in the middle of the road. I hit you in my car, braking immediately, as soon as I make contact with you. What do you think your resulting injuries would be?

2. I am travelling in my 4wd at 110mph and you are standing in the middle of the road. I hit you in my car, braking immediately, as soon as I make contact with you. What do you think your resulting injuries would be?
I am not saying injuries or the severity isn't worse at higher speeds, in fact I agree that higher speed impacts would cause more damage or even death, but what caused the impact in the first place?

Was it speed? No, it was the nob head standing in the road plus God knows how many other factors.

Rowell, the question as to wether or not speed kills is the issue, that's what my post is about and that's what my poll is about.

Bison