Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Do You Really Hate Them ?

Do You Really Hate Them ?

Old Mar 10th 2013, 10:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Do You Really Hate Them ?

Many posts openly display rather negative views of our hosts - Qataris, Emiraties, Saudis, Kuwaitis, Bahrainis.

Do you REALLY hate your paymasters so much ? Do you not find it difficult working for people you dislike ?
Old Mar 11th 2013, 2:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do You Really Hate Them ?

Originally Posted by scot47
Many posts openly display rather negative views of our hosts - Qataris, Emiraties, Saudis, Kuwaitis, Bahrainis.

Do you REALLY hate your paymasters so much ? Do you not find it difficult working for people you dislike ?
I find them very different from each other........... I have worked for Saudis and Bahrainis and found them to be highly professional, and just and fair employers. Others, however, are a different sort altogether......... there is no sense of gratitude or appreciation for the fact that I have skills and experience that most locals don't - many simply see us as a means to an end: making them even more wealthy than they already are...........

I suppose it's an uneasy truce - we are well paid so we don't moan too much.....
Old Mar 11th 2013, 5:17 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
I find them very different from each other........... I have worked for Saudis and Bahrainis and found them to be highly professional, and just and fair employers. Others, however, are a different sort altogether......... there is no sense of gratitude or appreciation for the fact that I have skills and experience that most locals don't - many simply see us as a means to an end: making them even more wealthy than they already are...........

I suppose it's an uneasy truce - we are well paid so we don't moan too much.....
I don't recall having encountered one "highly professional" or any "just and fair employers" in my 8+ years in Saudi Arabia.

Last edited by mentalist; Mar 11th 2013 at 5:41 am.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 6:26 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Saudis and Bahrainis found them to be highly professional, and just and fair employers.
Are you canvassing for a return to KSA?

Not doubting your personal experience but I would say you are one in a million with that opinion.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 7:42 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

I have worked for Saudis and Bahrainis and found them to be highly professional, ...
I'm with you on that. Some of the educated Saudis I've dealt with on the larger quasi-govt developments or in the hospitality trade are very very good.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 7:55 am
BE Enthusiast

DOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this point

Every qatari ive met has been great to me. Great views on expats and very open to share there country with us. I drink with a Qatari policeman and allthough is humour is a lot different to mine he allways enjoys himself and is a good member of our group
Old Mar 11th 2013, 8:11 am
Off Topic

northbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nice

Originally Posted by saudiflares
Some of the educated Saudis I've dealt with ...are very very good.
All educated Saudis I've met are from pre-oil era (in their 60-70ies), and they still remember the time when public cinemas existed in Jeddah.
As my wife noticed - they even open the doors for ladies, or stop at pedestian crossings.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 9:14 am
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute

I know and very much like a small group of emirati women. My husband works with some very smart and intuitive men. Outside that though, it's sometimes hard to form a positive experience as most other interactions just are easy to misconstrue as rude or reek of entitlement.

Just today:
I was at the rather lift scarce Musrif Mall waiting for an age for the lift. An arab lady (dressed in an abaya and sheila) and her friends looked up from the (finally) stopping lift, saw I had a pram and just pressed the door shut to carry on going up without us. I slammed the button so that the door reopened and just asked her to please move in more as there was plenty of room.

We've got problems with parking at the gate into our compound, as there is a La Brioche there. Someone put some bollards up to encourage people to park 10m further away so as to not block the t junction. Come home from shops: 2 huge black 4x4s are parked outside of the bollards so traffic has to squeeze through and there's a bit snarl up. I ask the guard what's happened. "Local, madam."

It's difficult to have positive everyday experiences but so easy to have negative ones. This is the kind of thing that skews western perception, i think anyway. It is a shame as the individual women I know are really exceptionally lovely and warm..
Old Mar 11th 2013, 10:01 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Older local's I've met through work have been utter gents with fascinating stories, lives and attitudes.

Younger ones generally act a lot less like this. Take the car renewal I did at the weekend. Tried to pay by card for 1st re-test (35dhs), told me I couldn't pay by card, so I went to get cash and the card machine swallowed my card because it didn't come out far enough for any human to take...grr...

Went back in a bit flustered, asked very nicely whilst explaining the situation briefly...*shrugs*, maybe you phone friend.

Mrs took 45 mins to get to me, went to next counter as original guy had gone, only to be told that I could pay by card there.

If this was in England I'd have gone ****ing spastic. I was told there was no way of paying by card, it had to be cash.

The bloke in front of me paid by card to add some more insult.

Fortunately for them I had been there for nearly 2 hours already, was hungover, tired, miserable and scared of being arrested....so they avoided a dressing down Scamp style.

You know what, **** what I said, they're all ****ing imbeciles.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 10:20 am

Miss Anne Thrope is an unknown quantity at this point

Some of us have been fortunate enough to have had more opportunities to penetrate the local community and have found many members to be receptive when we do.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 10:21 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Miss Anne Thrope
Some of us have been fortunate enough to have had more opportunities to penetrate the local community and have found many members to be receptive when we do.

Single-handedly (or double-handed-pepper-grinder) lowering the tone since Jan 2012.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by Scamp

Single-handedly (or double-handed-pepper-grinder) lowering the tone since Jan 2012.
Tone is in the ear and filthy mind of the beholder...
Old Mar 11th 2013, 10:24 am
BE Enthusiast

DOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this point

Old Mar 11th 2013, 10:26 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Miss Anne Thrope
Tone is in the ear and filthy mind of the beholder...
Oh you know exactly what you were up to, butch

Originally Posted by RyanC
You like the D-H-P-G?
Old Mar 11th 2013, 10:32 am

You like the D-H-P-G?
Impressive when you first see one, perhaps, but honestly, there are just so many of them in Dubai now....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.