Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Do you own an apartment at Jumeirah Beach Residence?

Do you own an apartment at Jumeirah Beach Residence?

Old Mar 18th 2009, 9:26 am
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you own an apartment at Jumeirah Beach Residence?

Originally Posted by TGFKASE
So speaks a guy who is a regular poster on Skyscrapercity......
Actually, I checked, JTF has only about 18 posts (as at today) at skyscrapercity.com and joined in 2006 !
Old Mar 18th 2009, 9:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

some people on here are very snobby when it comes to JBR.

ok it looks pretty horrible from outside but where else can you get an apartment so close to the beach, with cafe's and restaurants on your doorstep?

I was looking at rooms in shared apartments there. Didnt take one because people were basically looking for others to subsidise the rent on their rooms. also I didnt want to get tied into 12 months which turned out to be the right decision.
Old Mar 18th 2009, 9:41 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
some people on here are very snobby when it comes to JBR.

ok it looks pretty horrible from outside but where else can you get an apartment so close to the beach, with cafe's and restaurants on your doorstep?

I was looking at rooms in shared apartments there. Didnt take one because people were basically looking for others to subsidise the rent on their rooms. also I didnt want to get tied into 12 months which turned out to be the right decision.
im not being snobby, my best mate lived in Rimmal 4 for a year and we had a blasr there.

His apartment was shit though, it stunk, the toilets leaked, etc etc. He didnt give a shit as he rented.

I make no apology for slighting the same people who 2 years ago were swanning around thinking they were donald trump because they bought an apartment in Dubai and its value had soared....well, the ones with half a brain no longer own any property in dubai... the remainder are muppets, pure and simple
Old Mar 18th 2009, 9:55 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commander
im not being snobby, my best mate lived in Rimmal 4 for a year and we had a blasr there.

His apartment was shit though, it stunk, the toilets leaked, etc etc. He didnt give a shit as he rented.

I make no apology for slighting the same people who 2 years ago were swanning around thinking they were donald trump because they bought an apartment in Dubai and its value had soared....well, the ones with half a brain no longer own any property in dubai... the remainder are muppets, pure and simple
I'm with you on that one... I like living here, but I've given up trying to get problems fixed (like the smell that comes through the air-con) and now trying to make helpful suggestions via the Salwan forum (the "offical" one - the one that's meant to actually be a feedback loop to the management company... [cough]).

My landlord bought the flat for the grand total of 800k AED and I reckon, in balance, it's only worth about that much. He finds it hillarious that people were paying out however many millions for the place last year. I would too, if it weren't so tragic.

Salwan are trying desperately to keep it up-market (the latest thing is, shock-horror, people have been *hanging their washing on the balconies* which is apparently not allowed), but with finishes already looking worse for wear, paving cracked and shops shutting, I fear that it won't be long before the predictions of a "culture shift" come true.
Old Mar 18th 2009, 10:06 am

rowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond repute

I too live at JBR and I love it, dont get any of the smells through air con talked about but my year is up, rent is due, not decreased at all and only offering 8 month contract this time with 1 cheque.Off to try Dubai Marina
Old Mar 18th 2009, 10:11 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commander

I wholeheartedly agree with you there, commander...

From about early 2002, I had started looking into buying a place here (handy for those last minute hideaways from the UK tax man!!) but refused on the principle that I preferred to see the finished article before spending cash. Thanks Christ I did, as surely anyone with a brain, having seen the place upon completion, would have known that the prices did not reflect the quality.

All those people did were gamble that there would be another sucker along to pay an even higher vastly inflated price for any kind of property here. So, we put up with the arseholes telling all and sundry around the table at Barasti of the number of properties they own and how much they were gonna make when they decided the time was right to sell...

Well, we are now left with those that missed the boat and now want everyone to feel sorry for them...

Chase yersel'.. You played with fire and you got 3rd degree burns.. I wouldnt even stop to piss on you...
Old Mar 18th 2009, 10:13 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rowell
I too live at JBR and I love it, dont get any of the smells through air con talked about but my year is up, rent is due, not decreased at all and only offering 8 month contract this time with 1 cheque.Off to try Dubai Marina
well, tbh, what with the maintenance increases, the landlords can't really lower the rents that much - sad but true.

As for the smell, well, we had the A/C filters cleaned with no effect, then called in the maintenance chaps who found that the soil vent pipe shaft wasn't closed in one of the bathrooms, so they sealed that up, but to no avail either. We can't shut the door in the small bedroom or it'll give you a headache, the utility room smells the same and the flat directly below us has exactly the same problem in the same area. It sounds like it's a bit more serious than something needing a bit of a clean! Rimal 5 also seems to suffer from it.

We won't be renewing either... and I know a good few families who are looking elsewhere in the marina now... same price (or lower) and generally better finishes and fewer problems!
Old Mar 18th 2009, 10:15 am
ex-expat

So, we put up with the slightly smug chaps telling all and sundry around the table at Barasti of the number of properties they own and how much they were gonna make when they decided the time was right to sell...

I wouldnt even stop to piss on you...
that's a bit harsh!

Hmm... thinking about it, I haven't seen Diablo in a while. He was fun.
Old Mar 18th 2009, 10:25 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty
that's a bit harsh!

Hmm... thinking about it, I haven't seen Diablo in a while. He was fun.
Harsh but true.. Anyone who bought property here should have been aware that it was a gamble, and while RERA et al have attempted to shore up confidence for buyers by pulling some ridiculous numbers out of the air for the Rental Index, it appears that its slowly starting to sink in to some peoples heads that the extortionate rental income they thought they could command is now no longer there... So what is starting to happen now is that they are having to move out of their own rented accommodation and move into the house they actually own, because they cannot afford to pay rent on one and pay the mortgage on the other....

So NOW, they see their apartment, not as a golden egg, but for what it actually is, and only now are bitching to the powers that be. Maybe if they had been so diligent about the quality etc when renting the place out, it would have been fixed before they had to actually live in it....
Old Mar 18th 2009, 10:30 am
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

its funny really, because only 6 months ago, us 'non buyers' were being ridiculed as being bitter because we hadn't jumped aboard.

the deluded were more than a little smug..

and yes, where are they now?

well most of them have already defaulted on their mortgage payments..
Old Mar 18th 2009, 10:32 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

Our flat is fine for smells - except when someone smokes in the lobby outside :curse: - but it's obvious where the finishing was crap. Chips in the floor tiles, leaking toilet hoses, flimsy cupboards, hearing the stilettos of the woman in the flat above...

The Walk is great now - have two grocery stores, loads of restaurants and quite a few banks in walking distance - but the popularity has made it sooo noisy in our apartment, especially with the patio door open. And we have to have it open sometimes, because none of the windows in our apartment open.

I'd sign up to stay again if the rent was on a par with other, nicer places in the Marina. If I can get a well-finished place in one of the blocks opposite JBR (same side of the Marina) for the same or less money though, I'll be off.
Old Mar 18th 2009, 10:33 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

When I arrived, I said I wouldn't buy until I'd lived here for at least a year.

One year later, I said "I'll never buy here".
Old Mar 18th 2009, 10:33 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

Originally Posted by admon
its funny really, because only 6 months ago, us 'non buyers' were being ridiculed as being bitter because we hadn't jumped aboard.

the deluded were more than a little smug..

and yes, where are they now?

well most of them have already defaulted on their mortgage payments..
First, we are bitter, then we are smug... These property owners can never seem to get it right.....
Old Mar 18th 2009, 10:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

First, we are bitter, then we are smug... These property owners can never seem to get it right.....
you are just smuggly bitter!
Old Mar 18th 2009, 10:37 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
you are just smuggly bitter!
Or am I bitterly smug..... God, its as confusing as a purchase contract.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.