Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Do you leave your air con running 24/7?

Do you leave your air con running 24/7?

Old Mar 7th 2009, 9:21 am
BE Enthusiast

AnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of light
Default Do you leave your air con running 24/7?

Just curious. Seems popular to do that here. If not, why not? If so, why?
Old Mar 7th 2009, 9:58 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you leave your air con running 24/7?

Originally Posted by AnotherWorld
of bloody course not, we have it on at night when we're asleep but why leave it on through the day? we're both at work.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 10:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Jim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to behold

Saving energy is a good reason to leave off when not required.

Ours has been off since about October and just now beginning to use at night.

Our flat seems well insulated so not needed for a large part of the year!
Old Mar 7th 2009, 12:54 pm
Account Closed

Shadya is an unknown quantity at this point

What a stupid question. First of all, it costs a small fortune. Secondly, its not good for the environment and thirdly, it leads to colds and sore throats. Why on earth would an intelligewnt person even consider leaving the a/c running all the time. Ours hasn't been switched on at all this year. Probably will start in 2-3 weeks time when it starts getting warm at night.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 1:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

AnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of light

I know the reasons why you shouldn't. I just want to know why so many people in the UAE leave their air conditioning running all day every day. It's just one of the many stupid things that stupid people here do and I am trying to understand the reasoning behind it.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 1:05 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

I know the reasons why you shouldn't. I just want to know why so many people in the UAE leave their air conditioning running all day every day. It's just one of the many stupid things that stupid people here do and I am trying to understand the reasoning behind it.
I suppose those who get their DEWA paid may well do. We have it on in the bedrooms all the time but never in the living room. Flat is pretty shaded.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 1:49 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, we do. It's such an effort to remember to turn it off and on again. Set it for around 48 degrees and wear a cardi if you feel chilly.

We also let the taps run day and night because that way you know you have no nasty dead water in the pipes.

Oh, and don't ever turn the oven off cause nasty creepy crawlies might get in and spoil the food.

I also leave the car running day and night with the airco on so it's nice and cool when you get in. Besides, it's sooo embarrassing when you forget you have already started the engine and try to start it again. Best just to leave it running.

I've also heard that starting the car burns more fuel than leaving it running so I'm also helping the environment.

Ain't that nice of me!
Old Mar 7th 2009, 3:18 pm
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

I work from my apartment, so I always leave the air con running on the 24th July...when it is very hot (40+ degrees) outside.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 3:22 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MacScot
I work from my apartment, so I always leave the air con running on the 24th July...when it is very hot (40+ degrees) outside.
Yeah, I've always found the 24th to be significantly hotter than the 23rd or 25th. Wonder why that is????
Old Mar 7th 2009, 3:26 pm
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

Ours is on a lot, because in JBR the windows don't open and the a/c is the only ventilation we get
Old Mar 7th 2009, 3:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

I have been using the sevices of 2 eunuchs to ventilate me with big feathers...
Old Mar 7th 2009, 6:57 pm
Once a blue Always a blue

Tiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of light

I'm raised in UAE, to me if I'm in a room with out air circulation I feel claustrophobic. Thus my A/C is 24/7 on but at room temp as its central A/C.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 6:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

CeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by typical
Ours is on a lot, because in JBR the windows don't open and the a/c is the only ventilation we get
Balcony door??

Mine's all paid for but generally no....much prefer to leave the balcony door open to get some air flowing through. Air conditioned air is a bit weird.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 3:51 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Do you leave your air con running 24/7?

Maybe somefolk don't like walking into their house and it being hot? I often start the car before I get in to let the climate control make it habitable, remote starter is a must for any car IMO . Mind you I have a kettle that keeps water hot, a breadmaker that works at the push of a button and a hoover that runs itself around while I'm at work .

Think of all the way technology will improve your life in the future, people are always amazed at robots that can walk and run but I think thats silly. Why would you care? Show me a device that will make my life better and easier, I'll get my wallet.

Now if only there where a machine that could make dinner just as I like it...
Old Mar 8th 2009, 4:15 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CeeBee
Balcony door??
Doesn't really help in the bedroom. Damn annoying!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.