British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Do you judge people by their names? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/do-you-judge-people-their-names-788167/)

Meow Feb 21st 2013 12:52 pm

Do you judge people by their names?

I'd suggest we all do, to a greater or lesser extent, although perhaps differently. I've just seen a thread on a FB page a friend commented on, following the article by that dreadful woman in the Mail today. These are largely in the UK.

I'd like to share a few of the comments.

"...my husband name is Nathaniel, but hates it so much he uses his middle name, Cobweb, as his first name. He has a brother called Moth, step-siblings called Freedom and Jzero, and others called Chelsea, Kai, Joel etc. Just depends on the parents.!"

"my youngest son is called Asgard Michael. I also have Yasmin-Summer, Chloe-lei, Andrew, Alexarnder, kira-louise and Harry-jay. No ideas yet on our newest baby due in august."

"I have twins Isabella Gracie sometimes called bella and alighla (pronounced ahlielah) Lacie- alighla was a name we made up as we liked two names to out them together and son Tyler-Justin Oliver"

Full page here: https://www.facebook.com/#!/LittleWhiteCottage

I'm fascinated by names. For the record, mine is not a spelling mistake, but is in the Old Testament and you'll hear it in Israel.

Blue Cat Feb 21st 2013 12:55 pm

Re: Do you judge people by their names?

well we shouldn't judge people by their names but in all fairness we do, I used to howl at the names on that Springer program in the States, the African/Americans sure do pick some weird names. I am more likely to judge the person who issued the name than the poor sod stuck with it.

Kix Feb 21st 2013 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10559221)
I'm fascinated by names. For the record, mine is not a spelling mistake, but is in the Old Testament and you'll hear it in Israel.

Meow is in the Old Testament? Well I know the Egyptians liked their cats but...

britexpat76 Feb 21st 2013 1:43 pm

Mine is both biblical and royal as is my middle name. Though it's as common as hell (Think since god was a lad its been in the top 5 names) I hate anyone shortening it.

Though the curse of sharing a moniker with a certain drug taking, wife beating godfather of soul has not been without its problems especially when stopped by the old bill as a youth.

OleJanx Feb 21st 2013 1:45 pm

I am named after a saint, but hate my name and haven't used it since I was 16. I am :thumbup:universally known by a shortened version of my surname.

Brains1983 Feb 21st 2013 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 10559331)
I hate anyone shortening it.

Why Mike/Tom/Willy?

OleJanx Feb 21st 2013 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by Brains1983 (Post 10559395)
Why Mike/Tom/Willy?

"Good night ***boy!....I share ( I think ) the same name...

dubaiguy2011 Feb 21st 2013 2:17 pm

I always found people called Jimmy Saville to be dodgy old paedos.

And anyone called Hank is always American. And a chino wanker.

OleJanx Feb 21st 2013 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by dubaiguy2011 (Post 10559424)
I always found people called Jimmy Saville to be dodgy old paedos.

And anyone called Hank is always American. And a chino wanker.

Anyone called Hoyt is invariably a Texan.

britexpat76 Feb 21st 2013 2:45 pm

I was always told that anyone that has a surname that is also a common given name is a raving homosexual. Though Neville Neville has to be one of the stupider names.......

giddyup Feb 21st 2013 2:51 pm

I once met Samoan twins called Benson & Hedges - true story

Miss Anne Thrope Feb 21st 2013 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 10559515)
I was always told that anyone that has a surname that is also a common given name is a raving homosexual.

If only that were true......

The Dean Feb 21st 2013 5:18 pm

My niece has a friend named La-A............. go on - guess how it's pronounced...... :banghead:

OleJanx Feb 21st 2013 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 10559948)
My niece has a friend named La-A............. go on - guess how it's pronounced...... :banghead:

Layer?

Kix Feb 21st 2013 5:54 pm

Lardashah....