British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Do you eat fish? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/do-you-eat-fish-700832/)

Meow Jan 16th 2011 5:34 am

Do you eat fish?

If so then take a look at this guide to which fish we can freely eat and which we should be avoiding in the UAE. This is based on quantities and which varieties need to be conserved.

http://www.choosewisely.ae/uae_consumer_guide.pdf

Not sure I want to eat a fish called Sordid Sweetlips thought. Sounds like a stripper.

On the subject of fish, anyone been following Hugh Fernley-Whittingstall's campaign in the UK? Change to EU fishing legislation is badly needed.

http://www.fishfight.net/

-

Blue Cat Jan 16th 2011 6:07 am

Re: Do you eat fish?

got to watch this, have it downloaded but not watched yet. I don't eat alot of fish and prefer smoked fish, had smoked haddock last week which fantastic, and some peppered mackeral. I love Marks and Spencers kippers as I am still awaiting delivery of Abroath Smokies from someone on this site .....

:thumbup:

Norm_uk Jan 16th 2011 7:45 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 9104795)
If so then take a look at this guide to which fish we can freely eat and which we should be avoiding in the UAE. This is based on quantities and which varieties need to be conserved.

http://www.choosewisely.ae/uae_consumer_guide.pdf

Not sure I want to eat a fish called Sordid Sweetlips thought. Sounds like a stripper.

-

This is great - far too much fishing going on here. Actually the main issue in the UAE is the amount of food wasted, it's quite frightening really. Hotels are often the worst culprits (after Sheikh's Palaces) - often food not consumed in buffets is put in the bin - few hotels will allow staff to take some home or distribute it to the needy.

N.

Darkwan Jan 16th 2011 10:04 am

Originally Posted by Norm_uk (Post 9104955)
This is great - far too much fishing going on here. Actually the main issue in the UAE is the amount of food wasted, it's quite frightening really. Hotels are often the worst culprits (after Sheikh's Palaces) - often food not consumed in buffets is put in the bin - few hotels will allow staff to take some home or distribute it to the needy.

N.

That is so sad.

On a good note, none of the fish I love is on the "low stock" list.

shiva Jan 16th 2011 5:02 pm

good to see the restaurants here pushing that sustainable hamour....ooops hang on a min.

also would be nice to see some form of pollution index as i have been told by more than a few in the know to avoid gulf caught fish due to pollution levels and stick to indian ocean only

Boomhauer Jan 17th 2011 2:01 am

Originally Posted by Norm_uk (Post 9104955)

N.

That was something my family noticed back in the 80s anf 90s. Why don't they donate the food to construction workers?

Madam Medusa Jan 17th 2011 12:42 pm

in answer to the op, no i don't eat fish...

anyway, i just watched a gordon ramsay programme about shark fin soup...it's never been something i fancied, but i hadn't thought about how they got the sharks' fins...it's totally barbaric, they basically fin the shark, and throw it back into the sea to die a slow, bloody death...

i don't know how anyone would chose to eat the stuff (and it's bloody expensive, £90 a BOWL for the best type in one restaurant he went to)...ramsay has persuaded four of the top chinese restaurants in london to take it off the menu, and everyone who doesn't serve it has a sticker to display on their frontage...small steps, i guess, but a start...

MM, xx

MacScot Jan 17th 2011 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 9107802)
in answer to the op, no i don't eat fish...

anyway, i just watched a gordon ramsay programme about shark fin soup...it's never been something i fancied, but i hadn't thought about how they got the sharks' fins...it's totally barbaric, they basically fin the shark, and throw it back into the sea to die a slow, bloody death...

i don't know how anyone would chose to eat the stuff (and it's bloody expensive, £90 a BOWL for the best type in one restaurant he went to)...ramsay has persuaded four of the top chinese restaurants in london to take it off the menu, and everyone who doesn't serve it has a sticker to display on their frontage...small steps, i guess, but a start...

MM, xx

I wish they would also stop the extraction of bile from moon bears kept in extraordinarily small cages in China...all for the sake of so-called Chinese medicine - totally unproven in this case. :frown:

Meow Jan 17th 2011 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by MacScot (Post 9107814)
I wish they would also stop the extraction of bile from moon bears kept in extraordinarily small cages in China...all for the sake of so-called Chinese medicine - totally unproven in this case. :frown:

There is a whole list of barbaric practices the Chinese subscribe to for the sake of 'medicine'. It's largely due to them that tigers are on the brink of extinction too.
:frown:

UKCityGent Jan 17th 2011 1:32 pm

I love seafood - espcially if freshly caught and lightly grilled

Sharkfin soup is lovely (only tried it once) - didnt know about the shark after (i thought they would have used it as steaks after) - but id still have it again

As a side question: how do you count fish in an ocean ?

Boomhauer Jan 18th 2011 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 9107817)
There is a whole list of barbaric practices the Chinese subscribe to for the sake of 'medicine'. It's largely due to them that tigers are on the brink of extinction too.
:frown:

Tigers, Sea Horses and a whole lot of other exotic animals are endangered because of Chinese (more than anyone else) demand for aphrodisiacs and other natural 'remedies'. Yemenis like Rhino horns for their traditional Yemeni daggers, I don't know if that has changed.