Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Do you consider yourself to be European?

Do you consider yourself to be European?

Old May 9th 2011, 8:25 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you consider yourself to be European?

English or Irish depending who I am drinking with and how much potential violence there will be Primarily British though - I like to include the all the Isles in my sense of identity as we have far too much in common to allow Germanic/Celtic tribalism to get in the way of banding up and ridiculing the French or simply being rude and condescending to everyone.

Occasionally when befriending people from over the salty seas I'll say European to Belgians because they make drinkable beer and aren’t too French. With Scandinavians or Germans who aren’t rude I’ll use Germanic to foster a sense of international co-operation via the sacred rites of beer drinking from huge mugs and shaking our heads at everything French.

It’s all rather confusing isn’t it? Bring back Rome, all is forgiven…or better still bring back those big blue passports

N.
Old May 9th 2011, 8:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
…or better still bring back those big blue passports
oh hell yeah, i hate the red ones...

don't feel remotely european, i'm welsh first, british second...

MM, xx
Old May 9th 2011, 8:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

English First, then British , then European
Old May 9th 2011, 8:48 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

With Scandinavians or Germans who aren’t rude I’ll use Germanic to foster a sense of international co-operation via the sacred rites of beer drinking from huge mugs and shaking our heads at everything French.
scandinavians who aren't rude exist?
Old May 9th 2011, 9:15 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by norsk
They are called Swedes...
Old May 9th 2011, 9:49 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

I have never met a rude Scandinavian...when you are an alcoholic whose name means "Northman" they tend to warm to you quickly

N.
Old May 9th 2011, 11:51 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

I have never met a rude Scandinavian...when you are an alcoholic whose name means "Northman" they tend to warm to you quickly

N.
norman is pretty darn close to the norwegian word nordmann (northman if directly translated) which means norwegian (as does norsk), and the pronounciation is exactly the same..
Old May 9th 2011, 4:47 pm

norman is pretty darn close to the norwegian word nordmann (northman if directly translated) which means norwegian (as does norsk), and the pronounciation is exactly the same..
Exactly...and when your surname means Lion in German the Nordic folks tend to be a bit taken aback regardless of what you look like and where you are from.

Of course I am bias to the Germanic peoples though as I have a tattoo of Thor's hammer with my name in Anglo-Saxon runic script under it on my arm...

...nothing beats a bit of "roots and culture"

N.
Old May 10th 2011, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

Daz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by weasel central
your icon looks like a welsh dragon
Tsk, tsk the Welsh Dragon is red, the English dragon is white.

FYI, the white dragon was flown by Harold II at the Battle of Stamford Bridge in 1066 and it was the banner which he and his warriors fought to the death, three weeks later at Hastings.
Old May 10th 2011, 10:07 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

I'm British.

English Mother and Scottish Father - Makes interesting times when I'm watching the six nations with the old man.

His take is that I shouldn't support England (having been to Scotland about 4 times in my life) because "son, you take the nationality of your Father and are proud to do it. Now take that stuipid white shirt off".
Old May 10th 2011, 10:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
I'm British.

English Mother and Scottish Father - Makes interesting times when I'm watching the six nations with the old man.

His take is that I shouldn't support England (having been to Scotland about 4 times in my life) because "son, you take the nationality of your Father and are proud to do it. Now take that stuipid white shirt off".
And that's the man who married an English woman?
Old May 10th 2011, 10:41 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by The Dean
And that's the man who married an English woman?
He says most stuff in jest...I wasn't very clear about that, but he was unlucky. They were together for about 8 years. Split when I was 5.

He's now married to a Geordie, which as far as I'm concerned is basically Scotland it's that far North. She's a twat though.
Old May 10th 2011, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

Stealth Otter has a spectacular aura aboutStealth Otter has a spectacular aura aboutStealth Otter has a spectacular aura about

English first, European second and British a very distant third.

I just don't get the British thing.
Old May 11th 2011, 8:58 am
Account Closed

weasel central is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Daz968
Tsk, tsk the Welsh Dragon is red, the English dragon is white.

FYI, the white dragon was flown by Harold II at the Battle of Stamford Bridge in 1066 and it was the banner which he and his warriors fought to the death, three weeks later at Hastings.
Well I stand corrected, that is what comes into the mind of everyone who sees a dragon flag, that it was flown by Harold II at the Battle of Stamford Bridge in 1066 .
Old May 11th 2011, 10:47 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stealth Otter
English first, European second and British a very distant third.

I just don't get the British thing.
In that case why English? Why not a Lancastrian, Devonian or whatever county your come from? Actually, why county--why not town? Or street?

Me, British? Nah mate, I'm a High Streeter.

300 years of history are why you should get the British thing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.