Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Do you consider yourself to be European?

Do you consider yourself to be European?

Old May 15th 2011, 1:59 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you consider yourself to be European?

Originally Posted by The Dean
Agree with all of that............. and it's the first time that I (who never hides his UKIP affiliation) have been accused of using far left thinking.......... I take back the word 'thug', by the way (although they have one or two).

On a different point, I have often wondered why the Far Right are despised, but the Far Left are seen as lovable harmless eccentrics.........
We're all guilty of it.

On the question of the Far Right being despised I think it's a number of things including the penchant most of Europe has for cultural Marxism and it's academic bedfellow Critical Theory.
There's that and sheer ignorance of history and what the right and left actually stand for - and how it's not as simple as "right and left".

N.
Old May 15th 2011, 2:11 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Daz968
That's not what I said at all. You suggested that we read an article which suggested that EDL thuggery took place in Darlington. Read the article and responded with my view on the subject-matter.

You gave a typical response from someone who puts across a different point of view to that which is written and read without any idea about what actually happened. Note, I did not condone what happened; I simply stated what was written. The written words state 'may' and 'believed' and there is no evidence (according to the words in the article) that this was an EDL target against a mosque. Please, get some perspective.

We obviously have different opinions and experiences of what happens in the real world, so I am not going to get into a pointless tittle-tattle with your silly (IMHO) comments. Forget it.
Fair enough, but IMHO your views hold little credibility when you say you stand up for the defence of the English nation but you live in Oman. And saying things like "the law favours immigrants" and "the UK press are left wing" just makes it worse. IMHO.
Old May 15th 2011, 6:18 pm
Forum Regular

Daz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
Fair enough, but IMHO your views hold little credibility when you say you stand up for the defence of the English nation but you live in Oman. And saying things like "the law favours immigrants" and "the UK press are left wing" just makes it worse. IMHO.
1. Mmm, so just because I don't live in England, that means I am not allowed to stand up and be counted in this discussion? FYI, I still contribute to the tax systems 'back home' and have many interests there. Not that it is any of your business.

2. On your last sentence, we can agree to differ in our opinions and that is fine.

We disagree on matters and you make it personal - now, tell me if that isn't taunting. Crikey, if I was a thug I'd have a mind to come up there and be thuggerous! (Joke!)

Just don't make it personal, ok?
Old May 15th 2011, 7:27 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

1. Mmm, so just because I don't live in England, that means I am not allowed to stand up and be counted in this discussion? FYI, I still contribute to the tax systems 'back home' and have many interests there. Not that it is any of your business.

2. On your last sentence, we can agree to differ in our opinions and that is fine.

We disagree on matters and you make it personal - now, tell me if that isn't taunting. Crikey, if I was a thug I'd have a mind to come up there and be thuggerous! (Joke!)

Just don't make it personal, ok?
It's not meant personally, I'm just questioning the credibility of your arguments.

OK, I'll admit this much: I was pushing a bit to see how you'd react, and you've shown excellent restraint and haven't got angry or personal. It's a valuable exchange because a) I've learned that not all EDL people are knuckle-dragging, angry thugs, and b) you'll be able to hold your own in this forum, cos it can get quite tasty
Old May 16th 2011, 4:05 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Come on, living overseas doesn't mean someone's love of their own country is less. Are you suggesting the only way to stand up for the home country is to be there and never leave or something?

The British have a huge wanderlust streak in them...we're not hobbits - we like adventure

Besides once upon a time a lot of other places far from the British Isles were also British

N.
Old May 16th 2011, 5:32 am
Forum Regular

Daz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to all

It's not meant personally, I'm just questioning the credibility of your arguments.

OK, I'll admit this much: I was pushing a bit to see how you'd react, and you've shown excellent restraint and haven't got angry or personal. It's a valuable exchange because a) I've learned that not all EDL people are knuckle-dragging, angry thugs, and b) you'll be able to hold your own in this forum, cos it can get quite tasty
1. On an arrogant note - all my arguments are credible (for me) otherwise I wouldn't argue them

2. Restraint comes from years of being taunted.

3. I wish that people would stop using these adjectives in association with EDL (or BNP). Is it really necessary? It's like calling all Basques terrorists (that is the people not the corsets ). I have seen 'thugs' across all parts of society (including certain MP's!). I particularly remember a lot of similar types back in the 'ban the bomb' days - and they were touting 'peace' badges!!.

4. I 'do' tasty

5. Thanks for the hidden apology - accepted
Old May 16th 2011, 7:16 am
Excess Baggage

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
Come on, living overseas doesn't mean someone's love of their own country is less. Are you suggesting the only way to stand up for the home country is to be there and never leave or something?

The British have a huge wanderlust streak in them...we're not hobbits - we like adventure

Besides once upon a time a lot of other places far from the British Isles were also British

N.
Yes, quite. But when we went and changed other countries' cultures, we saw it as educating the savages!
Old May 16th 2011, 7:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
On a different point, I have often wondered why the Far Right are despised, but the Far Left are seen as lovable harmless eccentrics.........
You think? I always take the view that it's a circle and the far left & right are one and the same thing.

* Millhouse runs and ducks for cover in anticipation of a good Norm flaming.
Old May 16th 2011, 7:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

All very interesting, but there's still the delicious irony of expats going on about immigration and patriotic pride.
It must be like sleeping with the enemy. A bit like my racist mate... I ****ing hate the UK now Millhouse - too many immigrants - you did the right thing and moved abroad. er, yes, I guess so...
Old May 16th 2011, 9:28 am
Forum Regular

All very interesting, but there's still the delicious irony of expats going on about immigration and patriotic pride.

Of course it's not that simple in reality...
But, as a UK expat (if we are talking about the Middle East or any other country that is not congruent culturally with the UK) it is not a permanent move. I am not an immigrant - I am a temporary resident and I can be kicked out if I fart in the wrong direction.

I don't expect to be a leech on the social services (not that there are any) although I do expect to be paid enough to cover those aspects of my life that I expect as a minimum back home (such as a reasonable health care and a place to live).

I don't expect that my culture shall be enforced on the local community irrespective of their own desires. If my lifestyle can't be accommodated within the confines of the community and that which has been purpose built then that is fine, otherwise I would choose not to come.

I see no irony in that. I see very different circumstances.
Old May 16th 2011, 9:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

But, as a UK expat (if we are talking about the Middle East or any other country that is not congruent culturally with the UK) it is not a permanent move. I am not an immigrant - I am a temporary resident and I can be kicked out if I fart in the wrong direction.
You are an economic migrant.

How do you feel about Polish plumbers in the UK? They are also economic migrants with, more often than not, no desire to stay long term.
Old May 16th 2011, 9:56 am
Excess Baggage

I don't expect to be a leech on the social services (not that there are any) although I do expect to be paid enough to cover those aspects of my life that I expect as a minimum back home (such as a reasonable health care and a place to live).

I don't expect that my culture shall be enforced on the local community irrespective of their own desires. If my lifestyle can't be accommodated within the confines of the community and that which has been purpose built then that is fine, otherwise I would choose not to come.

I see no irony in that. I see very different circumstances.
But the implication (intentional or not) is that all immigrants to the UK are just going for free houses and benefits. That's just not the case, and on the issue of integration, Brits don't always integrate into local culture, learn the language, etc. If you want to ask anyone about cultural erosion, ask an old Emirati.

Yes, they chose this path, and even if you argue that the immigrants in the Middle East are only "guests", there can be no denying that the countries have changed massively. It's arguable that the UK chose the path of inviting immigrants...post-war to help rebuild, more recently to keep wage levels depressed....but then the people truly benefiting from this make sure their media point the finger at immigrants and the underclass. Divide and rule.
Old May 16th 2011, 10:08 am
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
You are an economic migrant.

How do you feel about Polish plumbers in the UK? They are also economic migrants with, more often than not, no desire to stay long term.
In PNG, Aussie / British Expats were divided into three categories: mercenary, misfit or missionary. I suppose most of us were mercenary types.
Old May 16th 2011, 10:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by MacScot
In PNG, Aussie / British Expats were divided into three categories: mercenary, misfit or missionary. I suppose most of us were mercenary types.
How I love getting emails from our people in PNG...

"...a gun fight just kicked off outside of the office over a parking dispute. Annoying as I need to go out to the chemist today as I've run out of Malaria tablets."
Old May 16th 2011, 11:45 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

In honour of The Dean who has pledged his allegiance to UKIP a number of times I share this picture that I took on the Saudi side of the Saudi-Bahrain Causeway..
Attached Thumbnails Do you consider yourself to be European?-ukip_causeway.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.