Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Do you consider yourself to be European?

Do you consider yourself to be European?

Old May 11th 2011, 11:02 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: Do you consider yourself to be European?

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
In that case why English? Why not a Lancastrian, Devonian or whatever county your come from? Actually, why county--why not town? Or street?

Me, British? Nah mate, I'm a High Streeter.

300 years of history are why you should get the British thing.
Old May 11th 2011, 12:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough

In that case why English? Why not a Lancastrian, Devonian or whatever county your come from? Actually, why county--why not town? Or street?

Me, British? Nah mate, I'm a High Streeter.

300 years of history are why you should get the British thing.
Bar the weekend football of course, where all national unity is forgotten for a proper derby hatred and running street battles.
Old May 11th 2011, 1:58 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paracletus
Bar the weekend football of course, where all national unity is forgotten for a proper derby hatred and running street battles.
But support for your local team (town or county) doesn't make you less English or British.
Old May 11th 2011, 2:19 pm
Banned

God Save The Queen is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know if you you're european or whatever but I will tell you this..You british guys have an incredibly inflated opinion of yourselves..Here in america your viewed as like sissy's or something..I'm not exzagerating..The accent comes off as extremely gay here..We've been making fun of you in our movies and tv shows for years and I had that image of you- then I come here and see you guys acting like people see you as manly men or something? A little shocked..I liken it to japan..The women are just fine, everybody loves em, but the guys? Who wants em? Same with England

What's really funny is when I saw guys on the USA board say thier accent helps them with the women? Don't you know that an english accent is like your mangy dog- Everyone pretends that they like it and that it's cute, but in reality they don't want to be around it very long.
Old May 11th 2011, 2:27 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by God Save The Queen
I don't know ...
You could start every single one of your posts with that phrase. You know nothing, and your opinion counts for even less.
Old May 11th 2011, 2:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough

But support for your local team (town or county) doesn't make you less English or British.
Probably not, just a funny way of showing a shared identity by hating on each other, int it mate, int it?
Old May 11th 2011, 2:35 pm
Banned

God Save The Queen is an unknown quantity at this point

You could start every single one of your posts with that phrase. You know nothing, and your opinion counts for even less.
I'm just telling you what the perception is here....
Old May 11th 2011, 2:40 pm
Hit 16's

I'm just telling you what the perception is here....
You know nothing, and your opinion counts for even less.

Which bit of that didn't you understand?
Old May 11th 2011, 2:42 pm
COF
Banned

COF is an unknown quantity at this point

I think to an extent the British feel detached from Europe, but I also think a lot of the reason we don't feel European is that we are are actively alienated by the rest of Europe.

The French and other Europeans frequently refer to us as things like "the Anglo-Saxons", "the islanders", "island monkeys", etc and really make an effort to differentiate us from the rest of Europe.

I think its a two way street. British people aren't particularly keen on the European identity and Europeans aren't particularly keen on us being part of the European identity.
Old May 11th 2011, 2:49 pm
Hit 16's

Originally Posted by COF
I think to an extent the British feel detached from Europe...
Err, but we are.

Interesting point though. Does the US provide an analogy? Do Alaskans and Hawaians feel less "american" than those from the other states?
Old May 11th 2011, 3:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Err, but we are.

Interesting point though. Does the US provide an analogy? Do Alaskans and Hawaians feel less "american" than those from the other states?
My only experience of alaskans is the lovely Mrs.Palin. She seems pretty 100% american soccer mom to me.
Old May 11th 2011, 4:07 pm
COF
Banned

Err, but we are.

I think its largely down to the fact that other Americans don't look down on Alaskans and Hawaiians as not being as American as them, yet other Europeans definately look down on the British as not being as European as them.
Old May 11th 2011, 4:10 pm
COF
Banned

I don't know if you you're european or whatever but I will tell you this..You british guys have an incredibly inflated opinion of yourselves..Here in america your viewed as like sissy's or something..I'm not exzagerating..The accent comes off as extremely gay here..We've been making fun of you in our movies and tv shows for years and I had that image of you- then I come here and see you guys acting like people see you as manly men or something? A little shocked..I liken it to japan..The women are just fine, everybody loves em, but the guys? Who wants em? Same with England

What's really funny is when I saw guys on the USA board say thier accent helps them with the women? Don't you know that an english accent is like your mangy dog- Everyone pretends that they like it and that it's cute, but in reality they don't want to be around it very long.
Inferiority complex alert.
Old May 11th 2011, 4:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by COF
I think its largely down to the fact that other Americans don't look down on Alaskans and Hawaiians as not being as American as them, yet other Europeans definately look down on the British as not being as European as them.
The american's know unity. They are raised on a diet of that whole pride, school sports, pledging allegiance to their flag (which is optional to do in school, but who'd dare to not do it?), playing bball and football yo and shouting USA at any given opportunity. This is something lacking in Europe, and seriously speaking, EU doesnt' sound as macho as USA when shouted in the face of un-suspecting passers by, it just doesn't work.
Old May 11th 2011, 4:46 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paracletus
The american's know unity. They are raised on a diet of that whole pride, school sports, pledging allegiance to their flag (which is optional to do in school, but who'd dare to not do it?), playing bball and football yo and shouting USA at any given opportunity. This is something lacking in Europe, and seriously speaking, EU doesnt' sound as macho as USA when shouted in the face of un-suspecting passers by, it just doesn't work.
"Team EU - F*** yeah!" has a certain ring to it...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.