Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Do you consider yourself to be European?

Do you consider yourself to be European?

Old May 8th 2011, 10:24 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Do you consider yourself to be European?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-13321460 It's Europe Day tomorow...

This article got me thinking. As a Brit do you consider yourself to be fully part of Europe? Or is it still a case of 'fog in channel, continent cut off' ?
Old May 8th 2011, 10:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: The city of many visions - and fast performance cars
weescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you consider yourself to be European?

We are an island nation with an island mentality - that isn't going to change unless there is another ice age. Geographically we will never be part of mainland Europe.

The EU and its flag to me simply represents a political institution that has grown way too big to be really useful to the man on the street (except the passport making travel a bit easier and getting us subsidies in rural areas perhaps). Originally developed as an economic alliance of 6 countires to trade iron (or was it steel?) the EU as it is now, has become a bit of a european superstate, represented by the flag. I dont feel part of it, more connected though neighbourly politics
Old May 8th 2011, 11:26 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weescot
We are an island nation with an island mentality - that isn't going to change unless there is another ice age. Geographically we will never be part of mainland Europe.

The EU and its flag to me simply represents a political institution that has grown way too big to be really useful to the man on the street (except the passport making travel a bit easier and getting us subsidies in rural areas perhaps). Originally developed as an economic alliance of 6 countires to trade iron (or was it steel?) the EU as it is now, has become a bit of a european superstate, represented by the flag. I dont feel part of it, more connected though neighbourly politics
I don't think the question is related to how you feel about the European Union. Do you feel European or just British?

Personally I think Brits can be a bit weird when it comes to this question. More confident on their own instead of bunched together with the French, Spanish or god forbid the Germans. And funnily enough my impression is that a lot of this thinking goes back to the time when Britain used to be Great in reality and not just in name..

Anyway what do I know? I am foreigner talking out of turn...
Old May 8th 2011, 11:27 am
Just Joined

5herry is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't see myself as European at all - will always be a British (Asian??) or English.

Another thing I've been thinking about recently is how the scots will vote when there's a referundum about independence...which the SNP have promised?
Old May 8th 2011, 11:28 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

I had this converstation not so long ago with a few Brits...I told them that 'we' saw them as part of (Western) Europe, with an Europian lifestyle etc just a bit obnoxious for keeping the pound going...they however didn't feel part of Europe at all, although they couldn't really explain why...
Old May 8th 2011, 11:34 am
BE Enthusiast

weescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by norsk
I don't think the question is related to how you feel about the European Union. Do you feel European or just British?

Personally I think Brits can be a bit weird when it comes to this question. More confident on their own instead of bunched together with the French, Spanish or god forbid the Germans. And funnily enough my impression is that a lot of this thinking goes back to the time when Britain used to be Great in reality and not just in name..

Anyway what do I know? I am foreigner talking out of turn...
Sweetie - the question is asked on the back of a press report posted about the EU - I read the article first before posting my reply...
Old May 8th 2011, 11:36 am
Account Closed

weasel central is an unknown quantity at this point

I feel European, even though I am from a smaller island than the UK. If you only half heartedly join then of course it always seems like you are hedging your bets.
Also I can't remember which UK party campaigned to save the pound but they were probably an opposition party and were using a fairly nationalistic device to get elected and further muddy the waters of what being European means. You didn't lose anything of your own nationality, you gained something extra.
Old May 8th 2011, 11:39 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I'm as British as the Queen - my family were happily ensconced in Saxony in the 19th century. Born in the UK, German origins and brought up and educated in France. Yes, I think I'm pretty European... but I also don't think Europe as a super-state can work.
Old May 8th 2011, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

Daz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to all

English first, British second, European - never.
Old May 8th 2011, 12:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Daz968
Never say never - "European Union" is written on your passport... the most reliable of all ID's
Attached Thumbnails Do you consider yourself to be European?-passport.jpg  
Old May 8th 2011, 12:12 pm
Account Closed

weasel central is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Daz968
your icon looks like a welsh dragon
Old May 8th 2011, 12:20 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Never say never - "European Union" is written on your passport... the most reliable of all ID's
But the question is about feeling European or part of Europe, not are you European geographically or politically.
Old May 8th 2011, 12:21 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

I'm British.

EU is good for travel as has been said, but if they introduced a 'European Passport' then I'd never relinquish my British one...
Old May 8th 2011, 12:21 pm
Bored liberal

But the question is about feeling European or part of Europe, not are you European geographically or politically.
Old May 8th 2011, 12:23 pm
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Britain is in Europe but not of Europe.

If pressed back into a corner I'd have to admit that yes, the British are Europeans, but it would be like confessing to a dirty little truth better kept in secrecy. The odd thing is that like most Brits I admire and value the immense cultural heritage of the continent, but at the same time I don't consider myself European at all.

The thinking is wholly the British versus the Europeans. Island mentality and our geography also allowed for the evolution of a quite distinct history and even culture.

The Scottish devolution movement could make for some very interesting times - as Britain is forced to openly discuss what it means to be British versus English/Scottish/Welsh - which could make us even more aware of our keen distinctness from the continent.

(By the way, I don't think devolution will actually happen. It'll come close as the Bloc Quebecois did in Canada in the mid-1990s, but they'll never quite succeed).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.