British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Do people ever go for their dinners in Dubai Marina? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/do-people-ever-go-their-dinners-dubai-marina-636334/)

Timmy Molloy - London Boy Oct 18th 2009 3:40 pm

Do people ever go for their dinners in Dubai Marina?

I been a few times, and some nights there's never any people around.. only like one or two other couples in the restaurants

There must be 20-odd restaurants round there

I think the place in the middle by the fountain does OK

Euc- Oct 18th 2009 4:15 pm

Re: Do people ever go for their dinners in Dubai Marina?

Originally Posted by Timmy Molloy - London Boy (Post 8025896)
I been a few times, and some nights there's never any people around.. only like one or two other couples in the restaurants

There must be 20-odd restaurants round there

I think the place in the middle by the fountain does OK

Do you mean The Walk?

Hello.Kitty Oct 18th 2009 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by Euc- (Post 8025939)
Do you mean The Walk?

I'm guessing so.

The Walk is grossly over-stocked with restaurants - goodness knows how many people it can actually cater for in total. Bazerkan at Plaza level in Amwaj is always rammed... and rightly so. The rest often have more loitering staff than customers.

MacScot Oct 18th 2009 4:23 pm

A new hotel - The Address - opens next weekend (21st October I think) next to the Marina Mall. So some more restaurants and bars to choose from !

Hello.Kitty Oct 18th 2009 4:25 pm

don't forget the Yacht Club has got two too!

Millhouse Oct 18th 2009 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by Euc- (Post 8025939)
Do you mean The Walk?

The Walk is a very strange place.

The Marina by the boats is ok. Johnny Rockets do a good burger.

Madam Medusa Oct 18th 2009 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse (Post 8026022)

oh i'm sorry, but the johnny rockets there is filth...it's not good at the best of times, but even my kids won't eat at that one, lol...

think the big problem for all of those restaurants is that they aren't licensed...as i understand it, they were told that they would be, but then once they had set up, it didn't happen...don't know whether that is true or not, mind...

MM, xx

Hello.Kitty Oct 18th 2009 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 8026031)
oh i'm sorry, but the johnny rockets there is filth...it's not good at the best of times, but even my kids won't eat at that one, lol...

think the big problem for all of those restaurants is that they aren't licensed...as i understand it, they were told that they would be, but then once they had set up, it didn't happen...don't know whether that is true or not, mind...

MM, xx

the Yacht club is (but that's not on the Walk ofc)... I think the main problem with the Walk is that virtually 90% of the units are eaterie and there simply isn't the footfall. I feel sorry for those who took up leases at Plaza level, because although they are visible fromt eh Ground (if you're looking up, that is), then they still have a job convincing people that it's worth walking up 30 steps to check them out.

Oh and a note to the wise... Ruby Tuesday's hasn't got any toilets built into it, so staff and clients alike have to go outside and use the public ones around the corner.

Millhouse Oct 18th 2009 6:01 pm

MM, xx

You will be telling me to avoid Fuddrockers next! Burgers at Meat Co are excellent (although I think that Meat Co is crap in general)

Madam Medusa Oct 18th 2009 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse (Post 8026096)
You will be telling me to avoid Fuddrockers next!

hahaha...i've never been there...

MM, xx

Timmy Molloy - London Boy Oct 18th 2009 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse (Post 8026022)

Hang on, The Walk is JBR?

Johnny Rockets is slop! I would prefer a Big Mac and I'm not really that keen on McDonalds.

Meow Oct 19th 2009 4:06 am

Originally Posted by Timmy Molloy - London Boy (Post 8026144)
Hang on, The Walk is JBR?

Johnny Rockets is slop! I would prefer a Big Mac and I'm not really that keen on McDonalds.

No. The Walk is the original part of the Marina.

I heard the same thing about licencing that MM did.

Despite some posters thinking that are super cool by living in The Marina, I am not convinced that it is entirely a success. Empty restaurants is not a good sign, nor is the fact that at least 40% of all apartments are empty. Too many people have bought into the high rise hype.

-

lionheart Oct 19th 2009 4:28 am

MM, xx

Have your kids ever eaten freshly prepared fish and chips out of a newspaper or would that be too filthy too?

Millhouse Oct 19th 2009 4:33 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 8026997)
No. The Walk is the original part of the Marina.

I heard the same thing about licencing that MM did.

Despite some posters thinking that are super cool by living in The Marina, I am not convinced that it is entirely a success. Empty restaurants is not a good sign, nor is the fact that at least 40% of all apartments are empty. Too many people have bought into the high rise hype.

-

quite right. I love the Marina (where the boats are), but the reality is that it (the boat area) and the Walk are economic disasters.

Blue Cat Oct 19th 2009 5:09 am

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse (Post 8027031)
quite right. I love the Marina (where the boats are), but the reality is that it (the boat area) and the Walk are economic disasters.

they are busy on Friday though but that really isn't enough :o