Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Do men really hate soaps?

Do men really hate soaps?

Old Jun 10th 2010, 9:55 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Do men really hate soaps?

Oh yes, oh yes indeed.

I remember watching Coronation Street coz that's all there was to watch, and thinking--even at the tender age of 27 (err, no, that's wrong: 7)--what a heap of shite. Dad used to call it Cruxifiction Street.

And I just don't get the prominence given to them in the media--they're tv shows, ffs.
Old Jun 10th 2010, 9:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do men really hate soaps?

Yes! as do a lot of women!
Old Jun 10th 2010, 9:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

An old neighbour of mine used to think Eastenders was real and she went into mourniing when ethel died. It does amaze me how many people all take it very very seriously!

The aussie soaps are the best as at least they have eye candy! Whats hot about Phil form eastenders or Curly from corrie? Nada!
Old Jun 10th 2010, 10:05 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kittycat1
Yes! as do a lot of women!
Yep, I guess it's not really a gender thing. I always used to try to listen to the comedy on Radio 4 at 6:30 on the way home from work when I was in the UK, and then the news--and then it would be a rush to tune to another channel before The Archers music came on. Somehow it left me feeling really despondent. (They film it a few miles from Ilkley. What a claim to fame.) Tony Hancock's skit was well worth listening to, though!
Old Jun 10th 2010, 10:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I have never washed in my life.
Old Jun 10th 2010, 10:19 am
Hit 16's

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
I have never washed in my life.
Go and stand at the back of the class, Millhouse.
Old Jun 10th 2010, 10:28 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

...with a passion, mate, with a passion....!!!!
Old Jun 10th 2010, 10:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Now that we're talking about soaps, can somebody please enlighten me about something that has always puzzled me?

Namely: why is it that US soaps are always about rich people (Dynasty, Falcon Crest, etc), while UK soaps are always about 'ordinary working class' people (Coronation Street, Eastenders, etc)?

Old Jun 10th 2010, 10:45 am
Hit 16's

Originally Posted by The Dean
Now that we're talking about soaps, can somebody please enlighten me about something that has always puzzled me?

Namely: why is it that US soaps are always about rich people (Dynasty, Falcon Crest, etc), while UK soaps are always about 'ordinary working class' people (Coronation Street, Eastenders, etc)?

It tends to be the same with films. My wife (who's oriental) hates watching Brit films (even though she appreciates the high quality of some of them) because they're nearly always down-to-earth, gritty and realistic, and most often without a happy ending. Compare that to Hollywood, where virtually every offering has glamorous people doing glamorous things in glamorour settings, topped off with a happy ending. She says she wants escapism, which I suppose is understandable after having been incarcerated in Yorkshire for 10 years...
Old Jun 10th 2010, 10:57 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
It tends to be the same with films. My wife (who's oriental) hates watching Brit films (even though she appreciates the high quality of some of them) because they're nearly always down-to-earth, gritty and realistic, and most often without a happy ending. Compare that to Hollywood, where virtually every offering has glamorous people doing glamorous things in glamorour settings, topped off with a happy ending. She says she wants escapism, which I suppose is understandable after having been incarcerated in Yorkshire for 10 years...
for me escapism is watching people who have an even crappier life than myself...can't get enough of bi-polars, suicides, affairs found out, gay muslim sons and abortions as far as I am concerned...
Old Jun 10th 2010, 11:00 am
Hit 16's

Originally Posted by MataHari
for me escapism is watching people who have an even crappier life than myself...can't get enough of bi-polars, suicides, affairs found out, gay muslim sons and abortions as far as I am concerned...
I think that schadenfreude not escapism. Always leaves me feeling edgy, thinking there but for the grace of god...
Old Jun 10th 2010, 11:02 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

I think that schadenfreude not escapism. Always leaves me feeling edgy, thinking there but for the grace of god...
oh well, whatever it's called it works for me...but then I am easy to please
Old Jun 10th 2010, 11:04 am
Hit 16's

Originally Posted by MataHari
oh well, whatever it's called it works for me...but then I am easy to please
...and I thought I always left something dangling for others to pull...
Old Jun 10th 2010, 11:13 am
hmmmm...nice

...and I thought I always left something dangling for others to pull...
you're probably too subtle for me...
Old Jun 10th 2010, 11:20 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

It tends to be the same with films. My wife (who's oriental) hates watching Brit films (even though she appreciates the high quality of some of them) because they're nearly always down-to-earth, gritty and realistic, and most often without a happy ending... She says she wants escapism, which I suppose is understandable after having been incarcerated in Yorkshire for 10 years...
My wife (who likes Oriental food) particularly enjoys classic British costume dramas. God knows why. She was incarcerated in Saudi Arabia for nearly four years.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.