Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Do atheistes get married?

Do atheistes get married?

Old May 22nd 2008, 6:58 am
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do atheistes get married?

Originally Posted by MataHari
I don't really mind if he is or not...
Why do you and SE often end your posts with ellipses?
Old May 22nd 2008, 7:03 am
Forum Regular

twistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of light

As for point 8 .. I know that democracy gives you the right to have a second look at rules and that rules are changeable according to well known process in the west’s ruling system.

BM - it isn't only the West's system/rules that are changeable. Rules/laws/guidances in some Islamic countries are both changeable and contradictory to the rules/laws guidances in other Islamic countries.
If you're not sure of this just look at the different interpretations of Sharia Law in all ME countries and how it is enforced (or not in some cases).
Gay sex would have you put to death in Iran, but is dealt with by a jail sentence here in UAE. The same for drug dealing, apostasy etc. etc. Being caught alone in a car with an unrelated man gets you flogged in some places but not in others.
How can different countries have differing puinishments for the same crime, when all are based on Sharia Law.

Thankfully in the West, the laws of the land are based on intelligent, debated, democratic discussion which (in theory) demonstrates the beliefs, morals and integrity of the country in which they are enforced.
They are not based on some Fairy Story which, in practice, is open to interpretation depending on how nasty you feel like being!!

Anyway, enough - i thought you'd have been outed as a Troll by now.
Looking forward to the grand unveiling of your theories which, no doubt, will have us all running to see the nearest Muffti!!
Old May 22nd 2008, 7:06 am

ScotsExpat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by twistopher
As for point 8 .. I know that democracy gives you the right to have a second look at rules and that rules are changeable according to well known process in the west’s ruling system.

BM - it isn't only the West's system/rules that are changeable. Rules/laws/guidances in some Islamic countries are both changeable and contradictory to the rules/laws guidances in other Islamic countries.
If you're not sure of this just look at the different interpretations of Sharia Law in all ME countries and how it is enforced (or not in some cases).
Gay sex would have you put to death in Iran, but is dealt with by a jail sentence here in UAE. The same for drug dealing, apostasy etc. etc. Being caught alone in a car with an unrelated man gets you flogged in some places but not in others.
How can different countries have differing puinishments for the same crime, when all are based on Sharia Law.

Thankfully in the West, the laws of the land are based on intelligent, debated, democratic discussion which (in theory) demonstrates the beliefs, morals and integrity of the country in which they are enforced.
They are not based on some Fairy Story which, in practice, is open to interpretation depending on how nasty you feel like being!!

Looking forward to the grand unveiling of your theories which, no doubt, will have us all running to see the nearest Muffti!!
Ah, the seperation of church and state, probably one of the most enlightening moments of the Western world..........
Old May 22nd 2008, 7:13 am
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

Gay sex would have you put to death in Iran, but is dealt with by a jail sentence here in UAE.
A Dutch engineer I knew from Al Khobar in the KSA went to Iran for a small project in a remote area. The minivan he was travelling in was stopped at a small town and he was forced with the others to go and watch an execution by hanging of two teenage lads (about 16 or 17, he said) who had been caught having gay sex. He was devastated by the sight and left the country on the spot. He still has nightmares about it.
Old May 22nd 2008, 7:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MacScot
A Dutch engineer I knew from Al Khobar in the KSA went to Iran for a small project in a remote area. The minivan he was travelling in was stopped at a small town and he was forced with the others to go and watch an execution by hanging of two teenage lads (about 16 or 17, he said) who had been caught having gay sex. He was devastated by the sight and left the country on the spot. He still has nightmares about it.
That is disgusting....somehow I cant see any God giving them a clap on the back for that.
Old May 22nd 2008, 7:20 am
A bubbly-jock...

Originally Posted by MissDemeanor
That is disgusting....somehow I cant see any God giving them a clap on the back for that.
A agree. Especially coming form a country (Holland) where it is just not an issue.
Old May 22nd 2008, 7:22 am

Same kind of thing happened to me and group of colleagues in Dammam back in 2001. Minding our own business, walking past a mosque with a large crowd outside, we got pulled to the front in time to see a guy behead a young girl (somewhere between 16-21 at a guess). Later found out it was the father beheading his daughter, having been caught in the 'company' of a boy. He decided to behead her as she had brought shame on his family...
Old May 22nd 2008, 7:24 am
A bubbly-jock...

Originally Posted by ScotsExpat
Same kind of thing happened to me and group of colleagues in Dammam back in 2001. Minding our own business, walking past a mosque with a large crowd outside, we got pulled to the front in time to see a guy behead a young girl (somewhere between 16-21 at a guess). Later found out it was the father beheading his daughter, having been caught in the 'company' of a boy. He decided to behead her as she had brought shame on his family...
Barbaric... must have left a scar on your wee brain then?
Old May 22nd 2008, 7:25 am

Barbaric... must have left a scar on your wee brain then?
Its made me who I am today, if thats what you mean....
Old May 22nd 2008, 7:25 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

there shouldn't be a place for this sort of thing today, thats whay I'd never go to a country like that.

You couldn't get me to live and work in saudi for all the money in the world, seriously.
Old May 22nd 2008, 7:26 am
A bubbly-jock...

Its made me who I am today, if thats what you mean....
Ok.. just was trying to lighten up on a heavy subject.
Old May 22nd 2008, 7:38 am
Banned

Beard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by benzonar
Ok let us clear a few things up.

Atheism isn't a way of life, it follows no set philosophy or belief. Atheism is quite simply a lack of belief in a god. Simple as that.

An atheist could believe that we were all put here by an alien race to give them something to watch on a Saturday night (the original Big Brother). Or indeed they could believe in the theory of evolution through gradual mutation.

The only thing atheists have in common is their lack of belief in a supernatural deity. As I said before atheists simply have a non-belief in one less god than theists do.

You never hear of atheists blowing themselves up because of their lack of belief. They might well shoot someone for political, economic, passionate reasons, but never because they believe some sky fairy will reward them for doing so. Often they realise that we only have one life and therefore make the best of it, rather than deluding themselves that their actions will result in an eternal afterlife.

Marriage is a result of natural selection, our ancestors on the plains were communal creatures out of necessity. Due to the length of time it takes to rear human young it was natural that monogamous relationships would form as this provides the best chance of successfully rearing young. It made sense and was convenient. It became part of culture and almost an initiation right, and allowed disparate groups to form bonds through marriage. Basic forms of religion probably seized on these ceremonies in order to gain a degree of influence within the community (religions have a habit of perverting social concepts to its own ends).

These days due to antiquated influences from religious authorities in various countries the concept of marriage is written into law as well as tax law, there is no rational reason for it. This doesn't mean that people shouldn't get married, but it should be a personal choice rather than a obligation. Cultural influences and tradition also play a part.

I read your post twice and i am thinking to read it twice again.

i can see some interesting parts of what you said ... thanks for this post
Old May 22nd 2008, 7:40 am
Banned

Beard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond repute

The tension is killing me......
why is that ...

relax man .. i am just grouping my thoughts now ...

which i don't think there is a chance for them to change your belief in anything ..at the end of the day nothing will change your beliefs as i think

i will be just thinking loudly ..nothing more...
Old May 22nd 2008, 7:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beard Man
I read your post twice and i am thinking to read it twice again.

i can see some interesting parts of what you said ... thanks for this post
And what is your opinion on hanging 2 boys for having gay sex Beardman?
Old May 22nd 2008, 7:43 am
Banned

dear.. lets not take the discussion to this direction .. because as far as i know the only country that is using Sharia and law (islamic law) is just saudia arabia.

and this is not what i wanted to talk about ...

so just give me some time to explain what i really mean ..

i am not going to talk about islam or my beliefs or anything like this

we are talking about an atheist and how he think and live his life.... nothing to do with religions at all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.