British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   DIY help (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/diy-help-606708/)

Bambi in Abu Dhabi May 2nd 2009 4:04 am

DIY help

I want to mount a heavy mirror above my bed, so obviously it needs to be secure. The wall is concrete. Can anybody recommend the best way to do this? I have tools.

Otherwise, can anybody recommend a handyman in Abu Dhabi? Actually, this would be my preferred option.

Thanks.

Jim Smith May 2nd 2009 4:16 am

Re: DIY help

Originally Posted by Bambi in Abu Dhabi (Post 7534440)
I want to mount a heavy mirror above my bed, so obviously it needs to be secure. The wall is concrete. Can anybody recommend the best way to do this? I have tools.

Otherwise, can anybody recommend a handyman in Abu Dhabi? Actually, this would be my preferred option.

Thanks.

You do mean on the wall and not the ceiling???!!!!!!!!!!

Bambi in Abu Dhabi May 2nd 2009 4:20 am

Originally Posted by Jim Smith (Post 7534458)
You do mean on the wall and not the ceiling???!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah :D. I just need to know which drill bit and things to use, I can get the guys downstairs to hang it, but I don't trust them to do the rest.

Jim Smith May 2nd 2009 5:19 am

Originally Posted by Bambi in Abu Dhabi (Post 7534461)
Yeah :D. I just need to know which drill bit and things to use, I can get the guys downstairs to hang it, but I don't trust them to do the rest.

Thanks for not ripping into me and having a sense of homour!

Sorry I couldn't get back as busy time here with sorting out some washing and getting the wife off to school!! Before you all start, she teaches voluntarily on Saturdays!

I assume you have some attachment on the mirror to support it at one or more points?

What I have always used is a No. 8 Drill 8mm I believe and after having drilled the hole(s) you need a good quality plug to fit into the hole.

Be careful especially as you are mounting something quite heavy. There are some on the market often in bright colours which are the same diameter length-wise and have no teeth as it were.

Certainly in Dubai if you go to Satwa or somewhere similar the hardware shops have these and usually the more superior German made ones which are grey and have teeth/notches along half the length to secure them tightly in the already drilled hole when the screw is screwed into it after it has been fitted in the hole.

I looked at some I have here, which are not in the box and I can't find the brand name. You also need to buy the 8mm (No 8 version) if you have drilled an 8mm hole. A box of these only costs a few dirhams.

Then you need some screws that are of a size that when you screw them into the plastic plug so that it expands tightly and grips the inside of the hole!! Say no more!

Finally make the hole you drill in the wall just slightly longer than the plug you are going to fit in that hole.

Hope that helps, but as I said it depends upon how your mirror will attach to said screw, and this my also determine if your screw should be a flat or half oval head. (Forget the correct technical terms, perhaps counter sunk and cheesehead??)

Dont forget you will probably need a drill with a "hammer" function if the wall is a bit tough!

Good luck, and confident sleeping.

Bambi in Abu Dhabi May 2nd 2009 5:29 am

German ones. Grey. Teeth. 8mm. Got it! Thanks Jim!

admon May 2nd 2009 7:40 am

Ok, so let me get this clear..

You are on your bed, in need of a drilling, and not a single man has offered to come round and help?

What is the world coming to..

MataHari May 2nd 2009 8:12 am

Originally Posted by admon (Post 7534638)

You are on your bed, in need of a drilling, and not a single man has offered to come round and help?

not all men fall for the clueless barbie act it seems...

Blue Cat May 2nd 2009 8:32 am

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 7534683)
not all men fall for the clueless barbie act it seems...

and the Commander is away ....

MataHari May 2nd 2009 8:34 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 7534727)
and the Commander is away ....

can't think of a post with the word screwed in it...

Blue Cat May 2nd 2009 8:35 am

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 7534729)
can't think of a post with the word screwed in it...

shagged maybe?

Confucius May 2nd 2009 8:42 am

You obviously nailed it...

Bambi in Abu Dhabi May 2nd 2009 9:04 am

Admon! I wondered where you'd got to!

Tiger989 May 2nd 2009 9:10 am

Originally Posted by Bambi in Abu Dhabi (Post 7534440)

Thanks.

Its easy you need a drill. I've done it for my friend just two days ago.

Bambi in Abu Dhabi May 2nd 2009 9:27 am

Originally Posted by Tiger989 (Post 7534837)
Its easy you need a drill. I've done it for my friend just two days ago.

Yeah, I know. I have never lived in a concrete house before, hence my ignorance.

Thanks guys for your help.

Blue Cat May 2nd 2009 9:35 am

Originally Posted by Bambi in Abu Dhabi (Post 7534894)
Yeah, I know. I have never lived in a concrete house before, hence my ignorance.

Thanks guys for your help.

so did you previously live in a wooden hut?