British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Dishwashers... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/dishwashers-798201/)

scrubbedexpat141 May 27th 2013 5:34 am

Dishwashers...

...are they relatively easy to install?

Can't be much more than an in/out hose and a plug, right?

Millhouse May 27th 2013 5:45 am

Re: Dishwashers...

it's a lot more complex than that - you need to arrange for the visa, employment contract, spare room, bedding etc.

mentalist May 27th 2013 5:47 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10726199)

Don't you have a "woman who does" dropping in a few days a week? Why have both?

scrubbedexpat141 May 27th 2013 5:54 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10726211)
it's a lot more complex than that - you need to arrange for the visa, employment contract, spare room, bedding etc.

Very good.

Originally Posted by mentalist (Post 10726215)
Don't you have a "woman who does" dropping in a few days a week? Why have both?

My Mrs? She does a lot of dishwashing, I do a fair bit (not as much).

I don't have a maid, no. I occasionally get one in and still need to ring the firm Patsy gave me to get one to come in every other week....I just can't be bothered.

So...I am going to buy a dishwasher, may as well get one off Dubizzle and before googling how to install etc etc etc, just wanted a rough idea of how easy / hard it is?

Dumbo May 27th 2013 5:57 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10726199)

Have you ever installed a washing machine? Its very similar, water connectors in, flexi drain out, plug for electrics.

Its a sad day when a "man" has to ask these kind of questions. Whatever happened to going in blind and making it work even if it takes you all day?

Blue Cat May 27th 2013 5:57 am

I bought a brand new dishwasher from Carrefour last year, Westpoint one, never heard of the brand but it was only 1000 dhs it is brilliant, and they fitted it :)

Millhouse May 27th 2013 5:57 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10726219)
just wanted a rough idea of how easy / hard it is?

It's a 3 min job -max. Dead easy.

scrubbedexpat141 May 27th 2013 6:08 am

Originally Posted by Dumbo (Post 10726220)
Have you ever installed a washing machine? Its very similar, water connectors in, flexi drain out, plug for electrics.

Its a sad day when a "man" has to ask these kind of questions. Whatever happened to going in blind and making it work even if it takes you all day?

Let's not start the man debate again.

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 10726221)
I bought a brand new dishwasher from Carrefour last year, Westpoint one, never heard of the brand but it was only 1000 dhs it is brilliant, and they fitted it :)

Carrefour 'fitted' my washing machine. In actual fact, they turned up, made a mess, tried to fit it, didn't, demanded I signed, aruged when I wouldn't, then just ****ed off leaving water, dirt and boxes everywhere. I'm determined not to use those ****tards again.

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10726222)
It's a 3 min job -max. Dead easy.

Quality, thanks mate.

Blue Cat May 27th 2013 6:28 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10726233)

Carrefour 'fitted' my washing machine. In actual fact, they turned up, made a mess, tried to fit it, didn't, demanded I signed, aruged when I wouldn't, then just ****ed off leaving water, dirt and boxes everywhere. I'm determined not to use those ****tards again.

Quality, thanks mate.

try LuLu electronics department then :fingerscrossed:

Millhouse May 27th 2013 6:35 am

Let me not lose the man debate again.

:lol:

Bahtatboy May 27th 2013 6:46 am

You live alone most of the time--how much washing-up do you generate? You do realise you have to rinse them first, load, put in the detergent, unload? Any you can't put your silverware or crystal glassware in there...

Irishbeekeeper May 27th 2013 7:00 am

1 Attachment(s)
:rofl:

scrubbedexpat141 May 27th 2013 7:56 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 10726246)
try LuLu electronics department then :fingerscrossed:

Same shit, different toilet I expect. Just been informed by the mrs that I'm not allowed to buy one off Dubizzle because that's "urgh". Oh well.

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10726252)
:lol:

Nice try. Not happening.

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 10726259)
You live alone most of the time--how much washing-up do you generate? You do realise you have to rinse them first, load, put in the detergent, unload? Any you can't put your silverware or crystal glassware in there...

Live alone.. hmm ;););)

I cook proper meals every night, so washing up gets generated. If you don't do it one night then there is a pile the next.

Dishwashe was my job at Mums, along with the bins. I don't mind loading and unloading. There is never any real need to rinse them first - only if there is still loads of crap on them.

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper (Post 10726270)
:rofl:

Gotta love a BG meme. :thumbup:

Millhouse May 27th 2013 8:01 am

I don't think we have ever used the dishwasher - even in the UK. Pointless device.

DustyBits May 27th 2013 8:03 am

Quality, thanks mate.

Carrefour fitted ours too. Several months later Mrs DB got a helluva jolt from the metal door. After investigating I found that the live wire wasn't tightened and the resulting heat had slowly burned through the terminal block, plug and facia before welding itself to the earth wire. The whole machine was then live and waiting for a suitable victim.....absolute idiots and would never trust them again.

No long term harm tho....I bought her some fairy liquid!

DB

Millhouse May 27th 2013 8:07 am

actually C4/ LuLu don't fit - they are fitted by the distributor of the product -- so it really is Scamp says, same shit, same toilet.

Ethos83 May 27th 2013 8:10 am

If you have a dishwasher, your dewa bill will go up as it uses far more water than washing dishes by hand. It's only more efficient if you do genuinely have loads of dishes and pots and pans (say, from cooking meals for a family of four 2-3 times a day).

But for one or two people it's a waste of time and money. You'll end up stacking the dishes into the dishwasher for a few days before running it.

How do you cook? A full meal each and every night? Or a big pot of something and have the leftovers for the next three or so nights? When I cook it takes, what, 10-15 minutes at most to thoroughly wash the dishes and pots.

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10726329)
Same shit, different toilet I expect. Just been informed by the mrs that I'm not allowed to buy one off Dubizzle because that's "urgh". Oh well.

Nice try. Not happening.

Live alone.. hmm ;););)

I cook proper meals every night, so washing up gets generated. If you don't do it one night then there is a pile the next.

Dishwashe was my job at Mums, along with the bins. I don't mind loading and unloading. There is never any real need to rinse them first - only if there is still loads of crap on them.

Gotta love a BG meme. :thumbup:

scrubbedexpat141 May 27th 2013 8:23 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10726333)
I don't think we have ever used the dishwasher - even in the UK. Pointless device.

Why not?

Originally Posted by DustyBits (Post 10726336)
Carrefour fitted ours too. Several months later Mrs DB got a helluva jolt from the metal door. After investigating I found that the live wire wasn't tightened and the resulting heat had slowly burned through the terminal block, plug and facia before welding itself to the earth wire. The whole machine was then live and waiting for a suitable victim.....absolute idiots and would never trust them again.

No long term harm tho....I bought her some fairy liquid!

DB

Oh lordy. Sounds horrible, assume she was alright and was 'just' a jolt?

scrubbedexpat141 May 27th 2013 8:25 am

Originally Posted by Ethos83 (Post 10726348)
If you have a dishwasher, your dewa bill will go up as it uses far more water than washing dishes by hand. It's only more efficient if you do genuinely have loads of dishes and pots and pans (say, from cooking meals for a family of four 2-3 times a day).

But for one or two people it's a waste of time and money. You'll end up stacking the dishes into the dishwasher for a few days before running it.

How do you cook? A full meal each and every night? Or a big pot of something and have the leftovers for the next three or so nights? When I cook it takes, what, 10-15 minutes at most to thoroughly wash the dishes and pots.

Full, proper meals every night.

Sometimes simple like last night's Chilli Con Helmet...generates a couple of big bowls for eating, forks, big pan, chopping board, knife, glasses, spoons, bowl for home made guac. Not too much, but enough.

I don't deny that it's pure laziness. I bought double cutlery and plates/bowls ready for this eventuality. :thumbsup:

Kix May 27th 2013 8:26 am

Personally I think they're brilliant, load everything in as you finish whatever you're doing then when it's full switch it on.

As the meerkat says, "Simples".

OleJanx May 27th 2013 8:32 am

If you can change a tyre, you can instal a dishwasher.

Dumbo May 27th 2013 8:43 am

Originally Posted by OleJanx (Post 10726372)

Let me just google that.....

scrubbedexpat141 May 27th 2013 8:44 am

Originally Posted by OleJanx (Post 10726372)

Never changed a tyre...other than on a push bike.

Bahtatboy May 27th 2013 8:46 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10726389)

Oh dear, you've just entered Man Club territory. Unarmed.

DustyBits May 27th 2013 8:50 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10726364)

Oh lordy. Sounds horrible, assume she was alright and was 'just' a jolt?

The language was a bit choice for a few minutes, but she was ok. Then the thought of 'doing dishes' kicked in and off she went again....

scrubbedexpat141 May 27th 2013 8:55 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 10726395)
Oh dear, you've just entered Man Club territory. Unarmed.

Only had a flat once, bloke came and changed it. He gave me some stick, but I asked what he did most often as an AA man, he said changing tyres/wheels, so I told him to get on with it. Finished in silence, was a bit awkward but his power tools were a lot quicker than the start I'd made with those shitty bar things.

Some people have the will and desire to do these tasks. I don't. I'll either cock it up by rushing into it or just get bored...let someone else do it.

Originally Posted by DustyBits (Post 10726399)
The language was a bit choice for a few minutes, but she was ok. Then the thought of 'doing dishes' kicked in and off she went again....

Hahaha, classic.

OleJanx May 27th 2013 8:56 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10726389)

Oh, bloody hell! What are you like?

scrubbedexpat141 May 27th 2013 9:14 am

Originally Posted by OleJanx (Post 10726407)
Oh, bloody hell! What are you like?

Too important. Manual labour is for peasants.

OleJanx May 27th 2013 9:17 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10726429)
Too important. Manual labour is for peasants.

You've been in Dubai too long....:D

scot47 May 27th 2013 9:18 am

Stupid, pretentious machines. Could never see the point of them. Like those television thingies - they will never catch on.

Give me a fit young filipina filly any day !

scrubbedexpat141 May 27th 2013 9:40 am

Originally Posted by OleJanx (Post 10726435)
You've been in Dubai too long....:D

Hahaha, no I've been lazy with things like that since I was born.

No interest, unfortunately.

Kix May 27th 2013 9:48 am

For all you nostalgia heads...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_LaVvSIT_8

Kix May 27th 2013 9:50 am

Completely off topic but, "Charlie Says"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDu7yYHxZr0