British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Dishwashers... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/dishwashers-798201/)

scrubbedexpat141 May 27th 2013 5:34 am

Dishwashers...

...are they relatively easy to install?

Can't be much more than an in/out hose and a plug, right?

Millhouse May 27th 2013 5:45 am

Re: Dishwashers...

it's a lot more complex than that - you need to arrange for the visa, employment contract, spare room, bedding etc.

mentalist May 27th 2013 5:47 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10726199)

Don't you have a "woman who does" dropping in a few days a week? Why have both?

scrubbedexpat141 May 27th 2013 5:54 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10726211)
it's a lot more complex than that - you need to arrange for the visa, employment contract, spare room, bedding etc.

Very good.

Originally Posted by mentalist (Post 10726215)
Don't you have a "woman who does" dropping in a few days a week? Why have both?

My Mrs? She does a lot of dishwashing, I do a fair bit (not as much).

I don't have a maid, no. I occasionally get one in and still need to ring the firm Patsy gave me to get one to come in every other week....I just can't be bothered.

So...I am going to buy a dishwasher, may as well get one off Dubizzle and before googling how to install etc etc etc, just wanted a rough idea of how easy / hard it is?

Dumbo May 27th 2013 5:57 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10726199)

Have you ever installed a washing machine? Its very similar, water connectors in, flexi drain out, plug for electrics.

Its a sad day when a "man" has to ask these kind of questions. Whatever happened to going in blind and making it work even if it takes you all day?

Blue Cat May 27th 2013 5:57 am

I bought a brand new dishwasher from Carrefour last year, Westpoint one, never heard of the brand but it was only 1000 dhs it is brilliant, and they fitted it :)

Millhouse May 27th 2013 5:57 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10726219)
just wanted a rough idea of how easy / hard it is?

It's a 3 min job -max. Dead easy.

scrubbedexpat141 May 27th 2013 6:08 am

Originally Posted by Dumbo (Post 10726220)
Have you ever installed a washing machine? Its very similar, water connectors in, flexi drain out, plug for electrics.

Its a sad day when a "man" has to ask these kind of questions. Whatever happened to going in blind and making it work even if it takes you all day?

Let's not start the man debate again.

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 10726221)
I bought a brand new dishwasher from Carrefour last year, Westpoint one, never heard of the brand but it was only 1000 dhs it is brilliant, and they fitted it :)

Carrefour 'fitted' my washing machine. In actual fact, they turned up, made a mess, tried to fit it, didn't, demanded I signed, aruged when I wouldn't, then just ****ed off leaving water, dirt and boxes everywhere. I'm determined not to use those ****tards again.

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10726222)
It's a 3 min job -max. Dead easy.

Quality, thanks mate.

Blue Cat May 27th 2013 6:28 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10726233)

Carrefour 'fitted' my washing machine. In actual fact, they turned up, made a mess, tried to fit it, didn't, demanded I signed, aruged when I wouldn't, then just ****ed off leaving water, dirt and boxes everywhere. I'm determined not to use those ****tards again.

Quality, thanks mate.

try LuLu electronics department then :fingerscrossed:

Millhouse May 27th 2013 6:35 am

Let me not lose the man debate again.

:lol:

Bahtatboy May 27th 2013 6:46 am

You live alone most of the time--how much washing-up do you generate? You do realise you have to rinse them first, load, put in the detergent, unload? Any you can't put your silverware or crystal glassware in there...

Irishbeekeeper May 27th 2013 7:00 am

1 Attachment(s)
:rofl:

scrubbedexpat141 May 27th 2013 7:56 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 10726246)
try LuLu electronics department then :fingerscrossed:

Same shit, different toilet I expect. Just been informed by the mrs that I'm not allowed to buy one off Dubizzle because that's "urgh". Oh well.

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10726252)
:lol:

Nice try. Not happening.

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 10726259)
You live alone most of the time--how much washing-up do you generate? You do realise you have to rinse them first, load, put in the detergent, unload? Any you can't put your silverware or crystal glassware in there...

Live alone.. hmm ;););)

I cook proper meals every night, so washing up gets generated. If you don't do it one night then there is a pile the next.

Dishwashe was my job at Mums, along with the bins. I don't mind loading and unloading. There is never any real need to rinse them first - only if there is still loads of crap on them.

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper (Post 10726270)
:rofl:

Gotta love a BG meme. :thumbup:

Millhouse May 27th 2013 8:01 am

I don't think we have ever used the dishwasher - even in the UK. Pointless device.

DustyBits May 27th 2013 8:03 am

Quality, thanks mate.

Carrefour fitted ours too. Several months later Mrs DB got a helluva jolt from the metal door. After investigating I found that the live wire wasn't tightened and the resulting heat had slowly burned through the terminal block, plug and facia before welding itself to the earth wire. The whole machine was then live and waiting for a suitable victim.....absolute idiots and would never trust them again.

No long term harm tho....I bought her some fairy liquid!

DB