British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Disgraceful attempt to deport a genuine war hero - please sign petition (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/disgraceful-attempt-deport-genuine-war-hero-please-sign-petition-766661/)

The Dean Jul 30th 2012 8:34 am

Disgraceful attempt to deport a genuine war hero - please sign petition

This makes my blood boil................ :frown:

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/...g-british.html

scrubbedexpat141 Jul 30th 2012 9:21 am

Re: Disgraceful attempt to deport a genuine war hero - please sign petition

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 10200591)

I have sympathies. It is fundamentally disgusting to treat people who have served our country like this.

That being said, didn't help himself getting in a fight though.

TheShed Jul 30th 2012 9:22 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 10200591)

Good find Dean. Already posted on my Facebook and Twittter feed.

mikewot Jul 30th 2012 9:34 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10200657)
That being said, didn't help himself getting in a fight though.

Uuumm, there is a story behind that (2 sides to every tale). Also he took CO's pumishment which, every serviceman I know, assumes isn't a criminal conviction, on your public criminal record.

scrubbedexpat141 Jul 30th 2012 9:39 am

Originally Posted by mikewot (Post 10200674)
Uuumm, there is a story behind that (2 sides to every tale). Also he took CO's pumishment which, every serviceman I know, assumes isn't a criminal conviction, on your public criminal record.

Exactly. Which is why I made that comment. He may be as innocent as that petition makes him sound, but the other bloke involved may see it a different way.

Regardless. Still fundementally wrong that someone who served this country can be kicked out when there are millions that have done far worse yet burden the state.

britexpat76 Jul 30th 2012 9:44 am

Agreed. I was in RAF Wroughton with a Gurkha when I bolloxed my knee the 1st time, great fighters and servants to the British Army. They put our feckless youth and 90% of immigrants that get our passport to shame.

(that goes for all foreign nationals fighting with our Army)

mikewot Jul 30th 2012 10:31 am

I'm a member of a military/ex military site and this petition was posted a couple of weeks ago. There are posts from people personally familiar with Bale who tell the story. P.S. if you're going to read other threads etc. be advised that this is military humour/talk and is generally NSFW.
http://www.arrse.co.uk/rac/184828-st...ed-forces.html

Oyibopeppeh Jul 30th 2012 1:03 pm

I'm not disputing the fact that this lad's done his service for Queen and country, but since when was a foreign national automatically given UK citizenship of the basis of having served in the armed forces?

TheShed Jul 30th 2012 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh (Post 10200939)
I'm not disputing the fact that this lad's done his service for Queen and country, but since when was a foreign national automatically given UK citizenship of the basis of having served in the armed forces?

I am not very knowledgeable on this, but I was presuming that he would get citizenship due to having an English wife and family for many years? That added to the fact that he served in our military for years would make me give him a passport.

Far more credibility than many of the passports that I have seen given out.

Millhouse Jul 30th 2012 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by TheShed (Post 10200957)
I am not very knowledgeable on this, but I was presuming that he would get citizenship due to having an English wife and family for many years? That added to the fact that he served in our military for years would make me give him a passport.

Far more credibility than many of the passports that I have seen given out.

Exactly. I can't see it going all the way. As much as I loath the EU, this is a perfect case to be presented to the EU Court of Human Rights. Are they really going to split a family for the sake of a 'non criminal' offence which already had been punished.

If Abu Hook had grounds to go to the ECHR then I'm sure our black family man does...

The Dean Jul 30th 2012 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh (Post 10200939)

Since the Gurkhas won their case a couple of years back (thanks in large measure to Joanna Lumley, I recall)?

It may not have helped his case that Fiji are currently suspended from the Commonwealth (following the coup a while back). A Commonwealth citizen would not have had the same issue, I am sure. His period of service has nevertheless covered many years in which they were full members.

Millhouse Jul 30th 2012 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 10200988)
Since the Gurkhas won their case a couple of years back (thanks in large measure to Joanna Lumley, I recall)?

I thought they only got a pension (quite rightly) - not citizenship?

The Dean Jul 30th 2012 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10200991)
I thought they only got a pension (quite rightly) - not citizenship?

Really? Thought it was more than that, but I could be wrong.

Millhouse Jul 30th 2012 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 10200995)
Really? Thought it was more than that, but I could be wrong.

actually, it seems I'm in the wrong. carry on...

Jim Smith Jul 30th 2012 2:37 pm

I thought most people living in UK for 5 years qualified for a passport but maybe he doesn't qualify on this score as he spent a lot of time out of the UK putting his arse on the line?