British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Discussion. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/discussion-790347/)

Millhouse Mar 13th 2013 10:11 am

Re: Discussion.

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned (Post 10600808)
The rules of this bored are exactly that..."Site Rules" They are not f**#King Queen's Regulations.
......Just saying :D..not criticising anybody..I am just making an observation and I have checked.. there is no site rule that says I can't make an observation! :D

How did our posts break the rules? I thanked Mike for protecting me.

nonthaburi Mar 13th 2013 10:31 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10600802)
You're correct, tough to say how much you may have changed regardless...I'll just have a look at my mates in 5 years and see what I might have ended up like.

the no drugs and not much booze hasn't got anything to do with KSA , that started a long time before , around the time I got married !!;)

Theseus Mar 13th 2013 11:30 am

I'm more stressed and my blood pressure is higher, and I've put on weight. Does that count?

Actually this move has changed me a bit. I'm more than happy to travel to work almost anywhere, i'm excited about where i'll go next. I'm more proactive about my career rather than plodding along at the same company making my way up slowly.

I'm more confident, and less of a doormat, but still a bit of a doormat as I wouldn't want to change too much.

MataHari Mar 13th 2013 11:45 am

I have become somewhat racist (stereo typing, prejudist)

Sandboy Mar 13th 2013 11:45 am

i forgot how to wash my car and cut my grass, have done each twice in the 6 months since I left

Brains1983 Mar 13th 2013 11:49 am

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 10600958)

I kind of fall into that category aswell now sadly. I also drink a lot more.

Spend less time at work and more time with the family, so not all bad!

Patsy Stoned Mar 13th 2013 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10600821)
How did our posts break the rules? I thanked Mike for protecting me.

No idea darling, I think the rules get interpreted to suit the situation or mood :D
Anyway, I've had enough for today I am off.

hnd Mar 13th 2013 10:06 pm

Very interesting reading this thread ... we didn't move to the ME until we had both retired so we have a very different perspective on things.

We were fortunate enough to buy property when developers were able to sponsor investors way back in 2004. Then that all changed and we had to set up a free zone company to enable us to live in our wholly owned property until we were able to get our title deeds and residency here in Muscat last year.

Being retired means that we have no access to a PRO so closing down our company in the RAK FreeZone meant that it was all down to us - relatively simple. Being retired meant that moving to Muscat was also down to us - shipping our household belongings and eventually our car and sorting out driving licences etc.

When we left the UK in our early 50s (having never been expat before) all our friends and family thought we were totally off our heads. They thought we were heading into a war zone, especially some of Mr H's US clients. We've no children so have only ourselves to think about and, thus far, are very happy with our decision to leave the UK.

As some have said, a few of our friends are just waiting for us to come "running back home". That's simply not going to happen ... we're very happy here and most simply don't get it. They don't understand how we could have lived in the same village for over 25 years and then moved abroad away from "all our friends". None of whom have visited since we left in June 2005 - it's only free loaders who have visited.

As for changing attitudes to other expat nationalities - we had hoped that moving to Muscat would change this. Unfortunately this hasn't changed

The Dean Mar 14th 2013 2:34 am

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 10600958)

I agree....... no, I mean I have also become rather racist...... but it's partly to do with the fact that I get to observe other races/nationalities more easily, and can recognise traits and characteristics that are common to each.

Most of all though, as an expat, I have learned far more history/geography/politics out here than I ever did at school - sitting down to talk to Indians/Pakistanis about the history (and founding) of those countries is something I would not have done at home.

Interesting comments about the reaction people get when they go home and see their mates..... I try not to. Simple as that. I still have some rock solid friends that will always be a part of my life, but e-mails and forums like this are the way I keep in touch. There is a 40th anniversary reunion of the school rugby team coming up, which I will attend, but then it will no doubt be a few more years before I see them again (I don't live close to my home town anyway, and many of them still do).

By the way - does anyone else notice that tourists and holidaymakers from home try to avoid expats? If they think you are a fellow visitor, no problem, but if they find out you actually live and work here they make their excuses and disappear.......... anyone?

Morecambe Mindy Mar 14th 2013 5:25 am

My driving is a lot more aggressive. I think I need anger management, as I get so wound up by some of the ridiculously stupid things I see each day.

I have realised that I can manage quite well on my own away from family and friends.

I am regularly out of my comfort zone, but it doesn't stop me doing things.

I think I'm a lot stronger than I was.

I just need to sort out the anger issues before I get deported for road rage!

Beakersful Mar 14th 2013 5:59 am

The anti- whatever that was rammed down our throats in HE institutions by 'well meaning', although perhaps too militant/rabid persons connected with the unions is out of the window here. I wouldn't go so far as to say racism comes into play, but 'differences' can't simply sum it up. I guess I am most sensitive in observations to social behaviour of others. Being served by till staff picking their nose, attempted queue jumping by SE Asian girls, picking their noses, Indian/Bangladeshi supermarket cleaners/packers hawking and spitting in their bins within the boundaries of the store, and of course hormonal seated behaviour.

I drove here for the first time yesterday. It was all a bit argy-bargy but I'm sure I'll get used to it whilst always thinking, "calm down now!"

britexpat76 Mar 14th 2013 7:55 am

I have become far lazier. I don't make my own Tea, Fill my car up with fuel or Walk to the corner shop now. I think if I stayed in the middle east for 50 years evolution would make my left leg fall off.

Theseus Mar 14th 2013 9:30 am

Why just the left?

Theseus Mar 14th 2013 9:33 am

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 10602870)
I have become far lazier. I don't make my own Tea, Fill my car up with fuel or Walk to the corner shop now. I think if I stayed in the middle east for 50 years evolution would make my left leg fall off.

http://www.driven2divide.com/wp-cont...spaceship.jpeg

Beaverstate Mar 14th 2013 9:38 am

Originally Posted by Theseus (Post 10603009)
Why just the left?

Needs the right to "motivate the help".:nod: