British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Discovery Gardens (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/discovery-gardens-636476/)

Spugsy Oct 19th 2009 12:29 pm

Discovery Gardens

In their infinite wisdom Nakheel have decided that all along Disco Gardens and also along to the mall they would switch off ALL lamposts, so now it is proper and utter pitch black, jesus, what a bunch of utter fûckwits.

Oh, also we've had water coming through the tiles of the floor for 4 days until I went mental and rang up some chief engineer 6 times on Saturday, and also our waste pipe hole (thing) from the washing machine is blocked so all the water comes spurting out.

And yes, these are brand new buildings and we've been in less than 2 months.

Wankers.

Blue Cat Oct 19th 2009 12:31 pm

Re: Discovery Gardens

that's Nakheel for you :(

lionheart Oct 19th 2009 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 8027758)
In their infinite wisdom Nakheel have decided that all along Disco Gardens and also along to the mall they would switch off ALL lamposts, so now it is proper and utter pitch black, jesus, what a bunch of utter fûckwits.

Oh, also we've had water coming through the tiles of the floor for 4 days until I went mental and rang up some chief engineer 6 times on Saturday, and also our waste pipe hole (thing) from the washing machine is blocked so all the water comes spurting out.

Wankers.

You should see some of the apartments on Palm Jumeirah...went to one where the bathroom sink fell off the wall.

Buzz Lightyear Oct 19th 2009 12:46 pm

Wankers.

Dont know why your bitching about the light situation up in the Disco Gardens..My Nan was telling me that she had to have the lights out and even shutters on the windows of her house, but the Germans were trying to bomb her at the time...!!!!!

Spugsy Oct 19th 2009 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 8027780)
You should see some of the apartments on Palm Jumeirah...went to one where the bathroom sink fell off the wall.

I mean are they built to last about 6 or 7 years or what?

i mean the other week there was water dripping through a lightbulm in the corridor, just how badly are they constructed?

lionheart Oct 19th 2009 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 8027820)
I mean are they built to last about 6 or 7 years or what? i mean the other week there was water dripping through a lightbulm in the corridor, just how badly are they constructed?

One major problem is that they employ so-called technicians who arrive with false credentials. I have seen peasant farmers doing intricate plastering/tiling work in up-market apartment complexes and oxcart drivers operating mobile cranes. You cannot really blame the workers as its the ruthless agents who produce the supporting diplomas or whatever is required. Its a shambles.

klaus3974 Oct 19th 2009 1:25 pm

You could argue that you get what you pay for... However, I have the same problems in a 3bed apartments at the Palm... Living the Luxury Life...

Jim Smith Oct 19th 2009 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 8027835)
One major problem is that they employ so-called technicians who arrive with false credentials. I have seen peasant farmers doing intricate plastering/tiling work in up-market apartment complexes and oxcart drivers operating mobile cranes. You cannot really blame the workers as its the ruthless agents who produce the supporting diplomas or whatever is required. Its a shambles.

As a guy I know said on a radio talk programme one day "What do you expect when you employ goat-herders for 500 Dirhams a month!!!

Must admit when I went with my wife to look at a Discovery Garden flat for her boss it had some of the roughest internal plastering/masonary work I have seen anywhere.

Jeeper Oct 19th 2009 6:19 pm

Have noticed this in a few spots in int. city lately as well.

Spugsy Oct 19th 2009 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by Jim Smith (Post 8028327)
As a guy I know said on a radio talk programme one day "What do you expect when you employ goat-herders for 500 Dirhams a month!!!

Must admit when I went with my wife to look at a Discovery Garden flat for her boss it had some of the roughest internal plastering/masonary work I have seen anywhere.

even littlethings like the bathplug, the chain its on has gone rusty - I mean what the fûck? surely you know what sort of chain to put on that will be under water all the time, honestly...

Kim67 Oct 20th 2009 4:57 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 8028562)
even littlethings like the bathplug, the chain its on has gone rusty - I mean what the fûck? surely you know what sort of chain to put on that will be under water all the time, honestly...

At least you get plugs. We're the only villa in our compound that didn't get them. We've had nothing but problems with this "brand new" villa in Barsha. We've got six loo's and only three work, five showers and we can only use two as the tiling in the others slopes away from the drain or the drains just don't function. They told us to fix our plumbing problems would be bringing in a concrete cutter and if they cut in the wrong place, the whole villa could collapse. We're moving in two days, yay!!!! I've written before about the sewerage leaking through the dining room and kitchen ceilings, major floods, etc etc.

The quality of the new place seems 50 times better and our new landlord is a government minister so hopefully he'll want to keep his reputation and maintain the villas properly.

Roadking Oct 20th 2009 5:46 am

Originally Posted by Kim67 (Post 8029567)
At least you get plugs. We're the only villa in our compound that didn't get them. We've had nothing but problems with this "brand new" villa in Barsha. We've got six loo's and only three work, five showers and we can only use two as the tiling in the others slopes away from the drain or the drains just don't function. They told us to fix our plumbing problems would be bringing in a concrete cutter and if they cut in the wrong place, the whole villa could collapse. We're moving in two days, yay!!!! I've written before about the sewerage leaking through the dining room and kitchen ceilings, major floods, etc etc.

The quality of the new place seems 50 times better and our new landlord is a government minister so hopefully he'll want to keep his reputation and maintain the villas properly.

A guvarnment minster, I got an email from him asking if he could give me a hundred million trillion dollars. You should be fine, then.

Kim67 Oct 20th 2009 8:13 am

Originally Posted by Roadking (Post 8029655)
A guvarnment minster, I got an email from him asking if he could give me a hundred million trillion dollars. You should be fine, then.

I hope you gave it to him in case he needs to fix my loo.