Reload this Page >

Disco Gardens going down da tube

Disco Gardens going down da tube

Old Apr 20th 2010, 4:31 pm
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Disco Gardens going down da tube

http://www.thenational.ae/apps/pbcs....704199902/1010

Have to say I do have sympathy for the people who bought in the Gardens as a decent place to live only to see it turned into a labour camp.

Which area is next? I've been hearing stories that even JLT aren't immune to becoming labour housing.
Old Apr 20th 2010, 6:57 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Disco Gardens going down da tube

Basically all those lower paid workers and nationalities who tend to serve you in Starbucks or in Duty Free aren't allowed to live near the high and mighty expats of Dubai.

Back to Bur Dubai with the lot of them eh so all the millionarie's wives can go for a job without having men look at them...?

Hard life isn't it?

N.
Old Apr 20th 2010, 7:01 pm
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

The article referred to labour camps but the workers being housed in the garden are mostly Filipino service workers so I don't think it's the same as the construction workers suddenly being housed in the middle of the the high and mighty.

The Gardens was intended to be a solid mid income area but that parts of it is being used as worker housing says quite a bit about the state of the real estate market in Dubai and the glut of housing. Which has its hidden implication considering that when I check dubizzle I see that landlords are still trying to rent out 1-beds in the Disco for 60K.
Old Apr 20th 2010, 9:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Is dubai duty free a govt entity?

if so, are they promoting apartment sharing when they also make it illegal?

If they're not a govt entity then ignore what I just said.
Old Apr 21st 2010, 4:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Sandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond repute

I even saw one of these the other day

Old Apr 21st 2010, 12:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sandboy
I even saw one of these the other day

http://www.thespoiler.co.uk/wp-conte...astle-fans.jpg

The great 'unwashed'.....................!
Old Apr 21st 2010, 3:31 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethos83
http://www.thenational.ae/apps/pbcs....704199902/1010

Have to say I do have sympathy for the people who bought in the Gardens as a decent place to live only to see it turned into a labour camp.

Which area is next? I've been hearing stories that even JLT aren't immune to becoming labour housing.
what a load of old shite, for a start there are tons of free buildings, but there are people sharing and so what? I have 4 philipino girls next to me in a one bed apartment, they are nice and as quiet as mice, weve had no problems whatsoever - I couldn't care less if people are sharing and the 'labour camp' jibe sounds to me like casual racism because more philipino and indians are moving in.

Disco Gardens is nice and quiet, and aye cheap - nee bother at all.
Old Apr 21st 2010, 3:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spugsy
what a load of old shite, for a start there are tons of free buildings, but there are people sharing and so what? I have 4 philipino girls next to me in a one bed apartment, they are nice and as quiet as mice, weve had no problems whatsoever - I couldn't care less if people are sharing and the 'labour camp' jibe sounds to me like casual racism because more philipino and indians are moving in.

International City was the same (moved out now).....what other people do behind closed doors is none of my business.
We had bachelors sharing across the hallway.....never heard a thing.
My only fear was a fire......I can only imagine the number of plugs doubled up on adapters etc
Missus didn't like being outside though due the staring.
Old Apr 21st 2010, 3:44 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jeeper
International City was the same (moved out now).....what other people do behind closed doors is none of my business.
We had bachelors sharing across the hallway.....never heard a thing.
My only fear was a fire......I can only imagine the number of plugs doubled up on adapters etc
Missus didn't like being outside though due the staring.
well there's none of that here, seems to be the more better off ones I guess, all smartly dressed etc
Old Apr 21st 2010, 6:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

well there's none of that here, seems to be the more better off ones I guess, all smartly dressed etc
We had a lot of staff for some of the coffee shop chains....they used to spend hours outside waiting for the bus.
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 5:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

the Mrs used to be in shared accomodation provided by the Hotel she worked for. they had 4-5 girls sharing a 1 bed apartment near Lamcy Plaza. She shared the bedroom with one other girl and 3-3 girls shared their living room.
The majority in that building were educated people from Eastern Europe, India and Africa. Its not as if they are filling them with uneducated labourers.

can't see a problem with it unless too many buildings become used for that purpose in which case it will become overcrowded.
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 2:18 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Hear Hear...

If people are quiet, clean and don't cause crime I think I'd be happy to have them as neighbours regardless of how much sun their ancestors had

N.
Old Apr 24th 2010, 5:44 am
Banned

Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute

Great point - well made!!
Old Apr 24th 2010, 6:56 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
Hear Hear...

If people are quiet, clean and don't cause crime I think I'd be happy to have them as neighbours regardless of how much sun their ancestors had

N.
Id rather have neighbours like than than gobby expat snobs for sure.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 10:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Sandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond repute

sometimes you appear far too sensible and open minded to be a skunk Spugs