Dirty weekend in....

Old Feb 6th 2013, 4:11 am
  #1  
WWLLCJD?
Thread Starter
 
Scamp's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Dubai
Posts: 21,640
Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dirty weekend in....

...?

Need some help from you ever so friendly bunch of helpful people.

We're going to get away for a night this weekend, just one night, somewhere we haven't been before.

So far the options are as follows:

Hatta Fort Hotel

OR...Somewhere Fujairah way (Al Aqah - I think from memory):

Radisson
Sandy Beach
Iberotel
Rotana

Has anyone stayed in any of these?

Most reviews from pals are mixed, bit dated, nice but boring etc etc.

We're not fussy about if there's shit to do or see (I like the idea of Hatta because it's quality seeing mountains and stuff). We just want somewhere to go chill out, have a nice meal, bit of slap and tickle, chill out on the next day and come back.

Thanks in advance.

Scampgettingvalentinesdayoutthewayearlythisyear.
Scamp is offline  
Old Feb 6th 2013, 4:29 am
  #2  
**** it we'll do it live
 
shiva's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Dubai
Posts: 7,892
shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dirty weekend in....

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
...?

Need some help from you ever so friendly bunch of helpful people.

We're going to get away for a night this weekend, just one night, somewhere we haven't been before.

So far the options are as follows:

Hatta Fort Hotel

OR...Somewhere Fujairah way (Al Aqah - I think from memory):

Radisson
Sandy Beach
Iberotel
Rotana

Has anyone stayed in any of these?

Most reviews from pals are mixed, bit dated, nice but boring etc etc.

We're not fussy about if there's shit to do or see (I like the idea of Hatta because it's quality seeing mountains and stuff). We just want somewhere to go chill out, have a nice meal, bit of slap and tickle, chill out on the next day and come back.

Thanks in advance.

Scampgettingvalentinesdayoutthewayearlythisyear.
hatta fort, dated and v quiet with the coldest pool in the world.

that said i love it. the views are a great relief from the city and its a nice place to just chill for a while. Go spend time at the heritage village in hatta, the place itself is interesting enough if piss poorly done but we always end up spending hours there having coffee and fresh dates with the locals, there are always a few guys hanging around in a mini majlis at the entrance who are a friendly and welcoming bunch who love to chat. Or venture a bit further and go up to hatta pools with a picnic. Another option is to take the first left after the hotel (on the oman road) and just have a wander, there are tons of little villages with old forts and so on
shiva is offline  
Old Feb 6th 2013, 4:39 am
  #3  
BE Forum Addict
 
flares's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,968
flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dirty weekend in....

Hedonism II - Um Al Quain ticks all the boxes
flares is offline  
Old Feb 6th 2013, 4:40 am
  #4  
**** it we'll do it live
 
shiva's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Dubai
Posts: 7,892
shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dirty weekend in....

Hatta Pools





shiva is offline  
Old Feb 6th 2013, 5:00 am
  #5  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
kittycat1's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Dubai
Posts: 5,965
kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dirty weekend in....

http://www.al-maha.com/
kittycat1 is offline  
Old Feb 6th 2013, 5:01 am
  #6  
WWLLCJD?
Thread Starter
 
Scamp's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Dubai
Posts: 21,640
Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dirty weekend in....

Thanks Shiva.

Can get a room for about 600dibs too.

I'm all over those mountains.
Scamp is offline  
Old Feb 6th 2013, 5:37 am
  #7  
Bored liberal
 
Meow's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Over there ----->
Posts: 13,704
Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dirty weekend in....

I'm rather fond of Hatta Fort Hotel as it's very retro, but so dark and quiet at night so you sleep beautifully. They still have a 70s style dessert trolley in the restaurant. We'll be there in 10 days time.
Meow is offline  
Old Feb 6th 2013, 5:41 am
  #8  
WWLLCJD?
Thread Starter
 
Scamp's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Dubai
Posts: 21,640
Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dirty weekend in....

Originally Posted by Meow View Post
I'm rather fond of Hatta Fort Hotel as it's very retro, but so dark and quiet at night so you sleep beautifully. They still have a 70s style dessert trolley in the restaurant. We'll be there in 10 days time.
Just booked it.

Convinced by the pools and the heritage village stuff.

The Mrs hasn't been lucky enough to see some of the truly old school side of this country or even what other local countries have to offer / how different they are.

Hatta Fort has blinding reviews so we'll give it a go.
Scamp is offline  
Old Feb 6th 2013, 5:44 am
  #9  
Bored liberal
 
Meow's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Over there ----->
Posts: 13,704
Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dirty weekend in....

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
Just booked it.

Convinced by the pools and the heritage village stuff.

The Mrs hasn't been lucky enough to see some of the truly old school side of this country or even what other local countries have to offer / how different they are.

Hatta Fort has blinding reviews so we'll give it a go.

It's definitely one of the non-shiny parts of the UAE and all the better for it. Don't expect it to be like The Madinat etc, but appreciate the chilled atmosphere and quirkiness.
Meow is offline  
Old Feb 6th 2013, 5:53 am
  #10  
WWLLCJD?
Thread Starter
 
Scamp's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Dubai
Posts: 21,640
Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dirty weekend in....

Originally Posted by Meow View Post
It's definitely one of the non-shiny parts of the UAE and all the better for it. Don't expect it to be like The Madinat etc, but appreciate the chilled atmosphere and quirkiness.
Oh I'm not fussy about all that.

It's lovely to stay in 5* mega hotels and all the glitz that goes with it, we just want a weekend somewhere quiet where we can explore a bit and just have time to ourselves (not meant in a completely dirty way).
Scamp is offline  
Old Feb 6th 2013, 6:27 am
  #11  
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,107
Miss Anne Thrope is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Dirty weekend in....

When you have a longer weekend and a bigger budget and you want unbelievable moutain scenery (Lord of the Rings stuff) and a real experience of mostly-disappeared local lifestyles try this:

http://www.sahab-hotel.com/home.asp

The pictures don't come close to doing justice to the surroundings. It's a long drive from Dubai (about 6 or 7 hours via Al Ain then Ibri then Nizwa and then up onto the Saiq plateau) and you will need a 4WD. Make sure you do it in daylight not just because the scenery is amazing all the way (and if you make enough time, there is really cool Jibreen castle with original 17th century interiors to visit en route). Although the road is fully surfaced, there is a military checkpoint on the way up to the plateau that requires you to have a 4WD to pass because the drive is so steep (descending being the main issue rather than climbing) and I think this closes at dusk. Many believe the military presence is less to do with ensuring reliable vehicles and more because the inhabitants of Jebel Akhdar are a rebellious lot having fought against the central Oman government as recently as the 1950's and been bombed by the British (who hasn't been in fairness) for their troubles. You can see part of the barely recognisable wreckage of a crashed RAF plane still there fenced off near the road on one part of the plateau. Little villages and terraced farms cling to the sheer cliffs of the plateau like something from the bible. Many of the villages still have the old style mud buildings. The two peak seasons are Spring (March/April) when they harvest rose petals for rosewater and Autumn (September) when they harvest the sweetest pomegranates you ever tasted. The old farmers sell them by the side of the road (not cheap: 1 rial for a decent one = Dhs10). You can't get them anywhere but up on the plateau (you'll see a few Dubai registered Landcruisers - it's well known among locals). Of course I do have an interpreter but even without his intervention it was possible to have a raucous very good-humoured haggle with the game old geezers though we couldn't understand a word from each other.

It's my favourite place in the whole region though Oman is just full of treasures.
Miss Anne Thrope is offline  
Old Feb 6th 2013, 6:36 am
  #12  
WWLLCJD?
Thread Starter
 
Scamp's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Dubai
Posts: 21,640
Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dirty weekend in....

Originally Posted by Miss Anne Thrope View Post
When you have a longer weekend and a bigger budget and you want unbelievable moutain scenery (Lord of the Rings stuff) and a real experience of mostly-disappeared local lifestyles try this:

http://www.sahab-hotel.com/home.asp

The pictures don't come close to doing justice to the surroundings. It's a long drive from Dubai (about 6 or 7 hours via Al Ain then Ibri then Nizwa and then up onto the Saiq plateau) and you will need a 4WD. Make sure you do it in daylight not just because the scenery is amazing all the way (and if you make enough time, there is really cool Jibreen castle with original 17th century interiors to visit en route). Although the road is fully surfaced, there is a military checkpoint on the way up to the plateau that requires you to have a 4WD to pass because the drive is so steep (descending being the main issue rather than climbing) and I think this closes at dusk. Many believe the military presence is less to do with ensuring reliable vehicles and more because the inhabitants of Jebel Akhdar are a rebellious lot having fought against the central Oman government as recently as the 1950's and been bombed by the British (who hasn't been in fairness) for their troubles. You can see part of the barely recognisable wreckage of a crashed RAF plane still there fenced off near the road on one part of the plateau. Little villages and terraced farms cling to the sheer cliffs of the plateau like something from the bible. Many of the villages still have the old style mud buildings. The two peak seasons are Spring (March/April) when they harvest rose petals for rosewater and Autumn (September) when they harvest the sweetest pomegranates you ever tasted. The old farmers sell them by the side of the road (not cheap: 1 rial for a decent one = Dhs10). You can't get them anywhere but up on the plateau (you'll see a few Dubai registered Landcruisers - it's well known among locals). Of course I do have an interpreter but even without his intervention it was possible to have a raucous very good-humoured haggle with the game old geezers though we couldn't understand a word from each other.

It's my favourite place in the whole region though Oman is just full of treasures.
Looks incredible. Definitely want to give that a go one day.
Scamp is offline  
Old Feb 6th 2013, 7:40 am
  #13  
Concierge
 
Blue Cat's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 29,625
Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dirty weekend in....

nice choice, Hatta is a lovely quiet get away
Blue Cat is offline  
Old Feb 6th 2013, 8:04 am
  #14  
Token Scandinavian Bloke
 
norsk's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Dubai
Posts: 2,820
norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dirty weekend in....

I've got to say that I have never (ever) felt such disappointment as when I finally made it to the Hatta pools last year...I'm not sure what I expected to be honest, but I will not be going there again.
norsk is offline  
Old Feb 6th 2013, 8:13 am
  #15  
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,107
Miss Anne Thrope is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Dirty weekend in....

The bottle shop in that little Ajman enclave about 5k before the Hatta fort roundabout (coming from Dubai), is still open so you can replenish there at Barracuda prices. Follow the signs for the Holiday Hotel or Resort or something like that - just off the main road to the left (coming from Dubai). I was surprised to discover it was still open (about 3 weeks ago) given that I had heard they had changed the rules in Ajman and that's why they got rid of the place on the harbour near the Kempinski.

And don't forget to bring your passports and/or ID cards for the two checkpoints where you cross into and out of Oman before you get to Hatta... (they are both UAE checkpoints). It's usually just a quick stop and flash but they will turn you back without documents. Also, for what it's worth, petrol is about 25% cheaper in Oman so you can fill up at the stations on that little Oman stretch of road - you will notice all the Dubai cars doing the same.
Miss Anne Thrope is offline  

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.