British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Direct flights to UK banned (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/direct-flights-uk-banned-936830/)

UKMS Jan 28th 2021 7:16 pm

Direct flights to UK banned

Looks like there will be a rush for DXB tonight !

No more UAE to UK flights and non Brits / Irish banned from entering UK if they been here in the past 10 days.

Not really a shock !

csdf Jan 29th 2021 5:29 am

Re: Direct flights to UK banned

I believe I predicted this about 9 months ago.

Millhouse Jan 29th 2021 5:40 am

Originally Posted by csdf (Post 12965499)
I believe I predicted this about 9 months ago.

Wasn't Dubai airport closed back then?

flares Jan 29th 2021 6:39 am

I'd stay out there. Miserable here (although hints of early spring)

Millhouse Jan 29th 2021 7:31 am

Originally Posted by flares (Post 12965507)
I'd stay out there. Miserable here (although hints of early spring)

You've got the sea shanties to cheer you up.... let's hope that's a phase that passes quickly.

UKMS Jan 29th 2021 9:55 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12965501)
Wasn't Dubai airport closed back then?

yep 🤣

UKMS Jan 29th 2021 9:56 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12965515)
You've got the sea shanties to cheer you up.... let's hope that's a phase that passes quickly.

the guy who started it has made a few quid though !

DXBtoDOH Jan 29th 2021 5:31 pm

Just ride out the next few months. Good weather in the UAE at the moment, I imagine? Given the high % of UAE population already vaccinated I'm sure it's just a matter of time till the routes are reopened. Transit passengers are probably DOA for a long time, however.

UKMS Jan 29th 2021 5:37 pm

Qatar airlines apparently blocking any new bookings from DXB for brits trying to get back to UK via DOH

csdf Jan 31st 2021 4:11 am

I'm really not looking forward to another summer stuck in the UAE though.

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12965701)
Just ride out the next few months. Good weather in the UAE at the moment, I imagine? Given the high % of UAE population already vaccinated I'm sure it's just a matter of time till the routes are reopened. Transit passengers are probably DOA for a long time, however.

Transit is the whole point of Emirates' existence though - if transits are banned then I'm not sure Emirates will keep direct flights UAE-UK just to cater for the UAE-resident Brits to travel back and forth on.

Millhouse Jan 31st 2021 5:56 am

Originally Posted by csdf (Post 12966260)
Transit is the whole point of Emirates' existence though - if transits are banned then I'm not sure Emirates will keep direct flights UAE-UK just to cater for the UAE-resident Brits to travel back and forth on.

Of course they will... or it's the end of Emirates. It will be just less flights and to potentially fewer locations. Some transit will continue, how else will the population of Birmingham go home to see family.

UKMS Jan 31st 2021 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by csdf (Post 12966260)

they won’t give up valuable slots just because of a temporary ban.

csdf Feb 1st 2021 8:38 am

Let's hope so. But didn't Heathrow give "grace" to all the airlines last year to avoid them flying empty in order to maintain their slots?

scrubbedexpat141 Feb 1st 2021 8:53 am

Obviously can still get between the two, via proxy countries. I wonder if Eurostar is going at the moment, that could be fun. Or KLM fly into Southampton, closer to Mothers.

People need to travel for a multitude of reasons so shutting the flights when you can still make the journey is dumb.

Millhouse Feb 1st 2021 11:04 am

Originally Posted by csdf (Post 12966709)
Let's hope so. But didn't Heathrow give "grace" to all the airlines last year to avoid them flying empty in order to maintain their slots?

I can't imagine Heathrow has a long list of potential customers waiting to take up the slots right now.