British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Dinner (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/dinner-905780/)

scrubbedexpat141 Nov 13th 2017 3:48 am

Dinner

Right, you arty farty showy-off creative bunch of cooks, what did you have for dinner last night?

I had chicken breasts covered in panko bread crumbs, baby corn, green beans, broccoli and wedges of onion....healthiest dinner in a long time and not too dull. Then some festive friends for pud pud.

Dubaiexile Nov 13th 2017 3:53 am

Re: Dinner

What are Panko Bread Crumbs when they at home???

Dinner last night was banana sandwiches, then 10 pints of lager!!

scrubbedexpat141 Nov 13th 2017 4:12 am

Originally Posted by Dubaiexile (Post 12380682)

Dinner last night was banana sandwiches, then 10 pints of lager!!

What a guy.

They're just breadcrumbs. An idea belonging to the good lady, just makes a chicken breast less dull :thumbup:

jam25mack Nov 13th 2017 4:40 am

A sandwich.... made at home.

Prawns and strips of smoked salmon tossed in my own tangy rose sauce (mayo, jalapeno tommy sauce, lemon juice, cayenne pepper) with rocket and a spread of gherkin relish.

Served up with salt and vinegar discos....

Fit for a king!

DXBtoDOH Nov 13th 2017 4:56 am

Spinach salad with one diced egg and a bit of a olive oil / balsamic vinegar dressing.

BEVS Nov 13th 2017 5:15 am

Oddly enough I used them for the first time a couple of nights ago. Was fashioning a chicken cordon bleu for him indoors & these seemed to breadcrumb well after toasting first.

Tonight it is flippin' well freezing here so sausage and mash with onion gravy.

I see he has stashed a Crunchie bar in the fridge for laters.

Brains1983 Nov 13th 2017 5:17 am

They are much drier & flakier than normal bread crumbs. Gives a much better crunch. We prefer them over normal bread crumbs aswell.

DXBtoDOH Nov 13th 2017 5:23 am

Originally Posted by Brains1983 (Post 12380708)
They are much drier & flakier than normal bread crumbs. Gives a much better crunch. We prefer them over normal bread crumbs aswell.

They stay crispy for a long time too.

Miss Ann Thrope Nov 13th 2017 5:50 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12380688)
What a guy.

They're just breadcrumbs. An idea belonging to the good lady, just makes a chicken breast less dull :thumbup:

How did you get the crumbs to stick and how did you cook the chicken?

mission Nov 13th 2017 5:59 am

since moving into my spanking brand new apartment where i still do not have any Du connection or Gas connection (and hence have not been able to cook for over 2 weeks:angry_smile:) last night i had a manky chicken and salad bap sarny from park & shop...i shall not be buying that again!

scrubbedexpat141 Nov 13th 2017 6:00 am

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 12380694)
A sandwich.... made at home.

Prawns and strips of smoked salmon tossed in my own tangy rose sauce (mayo, jalapeno tommy sauce, lemon juice, cayenne pepper) with rocket and a spread of gherkin relish.

Served up with salt and vinegar discos....

Fit for a king!

Apart from the prawn and salmon, that sounds incredible. Discos! What a guy.

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope (Post 12380723)
How did you get the crumbs to stick and how did you cook the chicken?

Dipped in egg then in the breadcrumbs.
Cooked on greased tray in the oven. Underneath crumbs are not crispy obviously, guess you could turn it or grill first or something but can't really be bothered....

MAV_DXB Nov 13th 2017 6:08 am

I normally mix Panko crumbs with normal breadcrumbs, to get a better coating (for Chicken Kiev, Chicken escalopes etc).

Last night was another bowl of my Jambalaya, I have enough left tonight, I must get to Spinneys.

MAV_DXB Nov 13th 2017 6:10 am

Dipped in egg then in the breadcrumbs.
Cooked on greased tray in the oven. Underneath crumbs are not crispy obviously, guess you could turn it or grill first or something but can't really be bothered....[/QUOTE]

I shallow fry, turning a couple of times to ensure they're evenly cooked and a nice golden colour

scrubbedexpat141 Nov 13th 2017 6:14 am

Originally Posted by MAV_DXB (Post 12380737)
I normally mix Panko crumbs with normal breadcrumbs, to get a better coating (for Chicken Kiev, Chicken escalopes etc).

Good tip. Thanks

Originally Posted by MAV_DXB (Post 12380739)
I shallow fry, turning a couple of times to ensure they're evenly cooked and a nice golden colour

Again, good tip. Idea was to have a healthier dinner so frying wasn't top of the list but in future I'll definitely give it a go. :thumbsup:

Made in Sheffield 1 Nov 13th 2017 6:17 am

I had steamed chicken in a large Yorkshire pudding (frozen), with mash (frozen), stuffing (dried), peas (tinned) and gravy (granules).

Yes, I feel ashamed.

scrubbedexpat141 Nov 13th 2017 6:30 am

Originally Posted by Made in Sheffield 1 (Post 12380748)
I had steamed chicken in a large Yorkshire pudding (frozen), with mash (frozen), stuffing (dried), peas (tinned) and gravy (granules).

Yes, I feel ashamed.

Apart from the mash, that's how I'd make all that food, don't be ashamed.

Although I did make gravy from scratch last week with the toad-in-the-helmet I made and it was spectacular.

Miss Ann Thrope Nov 13th 2017 6:38 am

Leftover roast chicken from the weekend. Always save all the bits of skin too "soggy" to eat direct from the oven first time (the parts from the back, underneath, are the best). Dry fry those pieces of skin on a flat pan until they turn brown and crispy, cooking in their own fat. They are a delicious chewy crispy appetiser (may need a bit of salt but nothing else) full of intense chicken umami.

Then in the same pan, which should now have a slight coating of the chicken fat, toss the torn (not chopped: you need the frayed edges) pieces of chicken meat on quite a high heat with some seasoning - whatever you like but I'm favouring salt, pepper, chipotle flakes and crushed fennel seeds lately. Keep stir-frying until the frayed edges of the torn chicken have started to get brown and crispy. Serve tossed in a salad of avocado (the riper the better), cherry tomatoes, scallions and some crunchy leaves. I like a dressing made from greek yoghurt, lime juice, a little fish sauce and chipotle sauce - you don't need too much of this as the avocado will act as a kind of sauce for the crispy bits of chicken...

Don't ever claim chicken is boring. Two greedy bastards will leave enough from the delicious 1.2kg roast chicken at the weekend to feed two normal people (or one super greedy bastard) for a nice weeknight dinner .

A lively white like a picpoul pinet or gruner veltliner or a verdejo/verdelho is a perfect accompaniment.

DXBtoDOH Nov 13th 2017 6:39 am

How do you find the time to cook? I don't get home most days till after eight, just enough time to pull together a quick salad if I can be bothered to eat something. In bed by 10 and up at 5:30.

UKCityGent Nov 13th 2017 6:41 am

How long do people take cooking these dishes ??

Since the wife has decided to take residence back to the UK I am back to fending myself .

scrubbedexpat141 Nov 13th 2017 6:41 am

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope (Post 12380761)
Leftover roast chicken from the weekend. Always save all the bits of skin too "soggy" to eat direct from the oven first time (the parts from the back, underneath, are the best). Dry fry those pieces of skin on a flat pan until they turn brown and crispy, cooking in their own fat. They are a delicious chewy crispy appetiser (may need a bit of salt but nothing else) full of intense chicken umami.

Then in the same pan, which should now have a slight coating of the chicken fat, toss the torn (not chopped: you need the frayed edges) pieces of chicken meat on quite a high heat with some seasoning - whatever you like but I'm favouring salt, pepper, chipotle flakes and crushed fennel seeds lately. Keep stir-frying until the frayed edges of the torn chicken have started to get brown and crispy. Serve tossed in a salad of avocado (the riper the better), cherry tomatoes, scallions and some crunchy leaves. I like a dressing made from greek yoghurt, lime juice, a little fish sauce and chipotle sauce - you don't need too much of this as the avocado will act as a kind of sauce for the crispy bits of chicken...

Don't ever claim chicken is boring. Two greedy bastards will leave enough from the delicious 1.2kg roast chicken at the weekend to feed two normal people (or one super greedy bastard) for a nice weeknight dinner .

A lively white like a picpoul pinet or gruner veltliner or a verdejo/verdelho is a perfect accompaniment.

Sounds delicious, apart from the fact you chose chicken for your weekend roast? I think roasts are overrated at the best of times but roast chicken? MAT I thought better of you good sir.

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12380762)
How do you find the time to cook? I don't get home most days till after eight, just enough time to pull together a quick salad if I can be bothered to eat something. In bed by 10 and up at 5:30.

Why so early and so late?

Miss Ann Thrope Nov 13th 2017 6:42 am

You and the other Benedictine monks, that is, presumably...

DXBtoDOH Nov 13th 2017 6:47 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12380764)

Why so early and so late?

I swim before work every morning. 2.5km. Plus my half hour of faffing around the changing room ;)

Work from 8:30ish till 8 PM. Yeah, long hours. Busy, understaffed, it's Qatar and what else to do. When it's not so busy I still go back to the gym to work out so I still don't get back to the apartment till close to 8:30 most nights.

DXBtoDOH Nov 13th 2017 6:47 am

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope (Post 12380765)
You and the other Benedictine monks, that is, presumably...

Too ascetic for your tastes, eh?

DXBtoDOH Nov 13th 2017 6:48 am

How do you combine replies in one post like Scamp can do?

scrubbedexpat141 Nov 13th 2017 6:50 am

Originally Posted by UKCityGent (Post 12380763)
How long do people take cooking these dishes ??

Since the wife has decided to take residence back to the UK I am back to fending myself .

I get home 6ish, change, have a smoke, then start cooking. Generally an hour or so I guess for a proper dinner and lunch combo?
Others are considerably quicker. Quite enjoy it.

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12380768)
I swim before work every morning. 2.5km. Plus my half hour of faffing around the changing room ;)

Work from 8:30ish till 8 PM. Yeah, long hours. Busy, understaffed, it's Qatar and what else to do. When it's not so busy I still go back to the gym to work out so I still don't get back to the apartment till close to 8:30 most nights.

Some of that 8pm finish is choice then?
Can you do that super organised meal prepping stuff so you have all your dinners sorted and just reheat?
I hate eating late, so cooking / starting dinner at 9pm fills me with dread.

Miss Ann Thrope Nov 13th 2017 6:54 am

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12380769)
Too ascetic for your tastes, eh?

Maybe except for this bit....

Plus my half hour of faffing around the changing room
:unsure:

scrubbedexpat141 Nov 13th 2017 6:56 am

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12380770)
How do you combine replies in one post like Scamp can do?

Next to the 'Quote' button is a little square one with lines through it, click that for as many as you like, then hit reply

Miss Ann Thrope Nov 13th 2017 7:00 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12380764)
Sounds delicious, apart from the fact you chose chicken for your weekend roast? I think roasts are overrated at the best of times but roast chicken? MAT I thought better of you good sir.

Oh dear, you are just sooooo wrong. Probably because you are doing it wrong. I've converted my bf from being completely dismissive, and even derisive of roast chicken, to being the one who insists we have it regularly now. Ok, he does then go and buy the most expensive bird from Spinneys every time but it's always delicious. Roasting a few veggies alongside, including simple things like onions and garlic which take no effort at all, just adds to the treat (and to the ingredients for the left-over stir-fry).

DXBtoDOH Nov 13th 2017 7:05 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12380773)
I get home 6ish, change, have a smoke, then start cooking. Generally an hour or so I guess for a proper dinner and lunch combo?
Others are considerably quicker. Quite enjoy it.

Some of that 8pm finish is choice then?
Can you do that super organised meal prepping stuff so you have all your dinners sorted and just reheat?
I hate eating late, so cooking / starting dinner at 9pm fills me with dread.

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12380775)
Next to the 'Quote' button is a little square one with lines through it, click that for as many as you like, then hit reply

Ah, many thanks.

Well, yes, it's personal decision to work late. I'm usually the only one in the office between 5:30 and 8, which I enjoy very much ;) but the work isn't wasted either.

I do make a big pot of something on the weekend and have that for lunches during the week, along with the broccoli. Never felt the need to have a big / heavy meal at night, hence the salads. Sometimes I don't eat anything at all. Just not hungry.

DXBtoDOH Nov 13th 2017 7:07 am

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope (Post 12380777)
Oh dear, you are just sooooo wrong. Probably because you are doing it wrong. I've converted my bf from being completely dismissive, and even derisive of roast chicken, to being the one who insists we have it regularly now. Ok, he does then go and buy the most expensive bird from Spinneys every time but it's always delicious. Roasting a few veggies alongside, including simple things like onions and garlic which take no effort at all, just adds to the treat (and to the ingredients for the left-over stir-fry).

Love roasts. My ma makes a brilliant roast chicken. And lamb and beef. And pork with the crackling. Keep it simple, bring out the flavour, don't make it complicated. That's the best approach to cooking, me thinks.

scrubbedexpat141 Nov 13th 2017 7:09 am

Nope. Chicken is the worst of all the roast options. I don't care how juicy or succulent and how good the skin is, it's still dull.
But then again, all roasts are fundamentally dull.

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12380780)
Ah, many thanks.

Well, yes, it's personal decision to work late. I'm usually the only one in the office between 5:30 and 8, which I enjoy very much ;) but the work isn't wasted either.

I do make a big pot of something on the weekend and have that for lunches during the week, along with the broccoli. Never felt the need to have a big / heavy meal at night, hence the salads. Sometimes I don't eat anything at all. Just not hungry.

I'm on an anti-work thing at the moment, I'm coming in later and leaving earlier in my own little two fingers up at these helmets. :thumbsup:

mission Nov 13th 2017 8:31 am

i'm with MISS, nothing like a delicious chicken roast

hnd Nov 13th 2017 8:32 am

Last night - pork chop casserole ... an easy, one dish supper. Tonight - fish pie with a creamy, buttery mashed potato topping.

mission Nov 13th 2017 8:33 am

Originally Posted by hnd (Post 12380804)
Last night - pork chop casserole ... an easy, one dish supper. Tonight - fish pie with a creamy, buttery mashed potato topping.

:eek::blasphemous :p
:sick:

Miss Ann Thrope Nov 13th 2017 8:46 am

Originally Posted by mission (Post 12380805)
:eek::blasphemous :p
:sick:

Yes Mission, but not for the reasons you think just because you've been propagandised about poor little piggies.

Hnd, why would you submerge a poor innocent pork chop in a dank and soggy casserole instead of browning and caramelising their delicious juicy crispy sweetness perfectly on a hot pan?

mission Nov 13th 2017 8:51 am

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope (Post 12380816)
Yes Mission, but not for the reasons you think just because you've been propagandised about poor little piggies.

Hnd, why would you submerge a poor innocent pork chop in a dank and soggy casserole instead of browning and caramelising their delicious juicy crispy sweetness perfectly on a hot pan?

:sick::sick::sick:

DXBtoDOH Nov 13th 2017 9:01 am

Hmm...mmm...pork.... :)

It's fascinating how there are many Muslims who will do every possible haram thing but draw the line at eating pork. Which is so beloved by the rest of the world. Never quite figured that bit out.

mission Nov 13th 2017 9:07 am

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12380837)
Hmm...mmm...pork.... :)

It's fascinating how there are many Muslims who will do every possible haram thing but draw the line at eating pork. Which is so beloved by the rest of the world. Never quite figured that bit out.

yep totally and i guess i am one of them.
just the smell of any pig meat makes me heave :sick:
Even when i go into spinneys/choitrams/park n shop and i walk past the pork section the smell makes me literally want to be sick.

Dubaiexile Nov 13th 2017 9:08 am

Get yourself a slow cooker, bang in veggies and meat bit of water with an Oxo cube, switch on in the morning lovely meal waiting for you!!

hnd Nov 13th 2017 9:08 am

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope (Post 12380816)

They're not submerged. They sit on layers of thinly sliced potatoes and onions, over which has been poured a tin of Campbells Condensed Mushroom Soup. Put a lid on the dish or cover with foil and bake in a hot oven (230c) for about 50 mins, or until the spuds are just tender then remove the lid and brown the chops/crisp the fat for about 7 minutes. Delicious and, as said, a one-pot meal - and if you've got a timer on your oven it can be prepped in the morning and then stuck into the oven which is set to be ready when you get in from work!!